Re: -Rhubarb-was natural dying

  • Virginia Taylor
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 13, 2008
      I've been wondering the same thing- one is told not to use the rhubarb leaves because of the excess of oxalic acid, and then to buy jars of powdered oxalic acid is so frustrating. Anyone know how to get the acid out of the leaves? Is it as simple as tossing them into a vat of water and letting it leech out (my best guess so far, but I haven't tested it)?

       Tchipakkan

      "Have you no idea of progress, of development?"

      "I have seen them both in an egg, " said Caspian.  "We call it Going Bad in Narnia.""

    • Amy Provost
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 13, 2008
        Found this link...
        http://www.allfiberarts.com/library/howto/ht01/how_rhubarb_leaf_mordant.htm

        Ameline

        --
        www.crookedwall.org
        www.bthumbstudios.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 13, 2008
          So Ameline, ya need any rhubarb leaves???
          Aelfwyn

          In a message dated 6/13/2008 11:23:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, sparrowhawk9@... writes:
          Found this link...
          http://www.allfiber arts.com/ library/howto/ ht01/how_ rhubarb_leaf_ mordant.htm

          Ameline

          Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.
        • Amy Provost

            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 13, 2008
              I've seen a patch of joe pye somewhere, now let's see if I can remember where......
              Aelfwyn

              In a message dated 6/13/2008 12:45:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, sparrowhawk9@... writes:
              What I do need and haven't been able to find wild crafting.... sassafras, boneset, scullcap, joe pye weed.  Got a source in the area?

              Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.
            • Lori Hannis
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 13, 2008
                i'm planning on experimenting with it *outside*
                so if any of the acid does get bad....it at least will go "OUT" and not coat the walls in my house.

                Emeline

                Virginia Taylor <tchipakkan@...> wrote:
                I've been wondering the same thing- one is told not to use the rhubarb leaves because of the excess of oxalic acid, and then to buy jars of powdered oxalic acid is so frustrating. Anyone know how to get the acid out of the leaves? Is it as simple as tossing them into a vat of water and letting it leech out (my best guess so far, but I haven't tested it)?

                 Tchipakkan
                "Have you no idea of progress, of development? "
                "I have seen them both in an egg, " said Caspian.  "We call it Going Bad in Narnia.""

                Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass
                it's learning to dance in the rain.
                                                      Unknown.
              • Virginia Taylor
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 14, 2008

                  What I do need and haven't been able to find wild crafting....sassafras,
                  boneset, scullcap, joe pye weed. Got a source in the area?

                  Ameline

                  What area? The SCA is a big place!

                  Tchipakkan
                  The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.   --Albert Einstein

                • Amy Provost

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 15, 2008
                        Will you be at Great Northeastern War? I'm willing to wait for seeds
                        for the joe pye weed (aka gravel root - great for gout and kidney
                        stones), but would love a small piece of boneset if it's spreading in
                        your area. They're just not something you're likely to find at your
                        local nursery! And if you are in need of anything in trade....

                        Ameline

                        --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Barbara <harpnfiddle@...> wrote:

                        > I have boneset and joe pye weed (my favorite September flower). I am
                        > located in Western MA (Barony of Bergental)
                        > Barbeta
                        >
                        > Virginia Taylor wrote:
                        > >

                        > > What I do need and haven't been able to find wild
                        crafting....sassafras,
                        > > boneset, scullcap, joe pye weed. Got a source in the area?
                        > >
                        > > Ameline
                        > >
                        > > What area? The SCA is a big place!
                        > >
                        > > Tchipakkan
                        > > The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who
                        > > are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
                        > > --Albert Einstein

                      • Virginia Taylor
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 15, 2008

                          wrote:

                          > What I do need and haven't been able to find wild crafting....sassafras,
                          > boneset, scullcap, joe pye weed. Got a source in the area?
                          What area?
                          >Sorry, Aelfwyn and I are in southern Maine....
                          OK- I'm in NH. I don't know about  joe pye weed, but I'm pretty sure I've got sassafras and boneset in my back yard. Are you going to be at GNEW? I could bring some up in a pot - and maybe you'd get lucky and it would transplant and live.
                          ARastorm

                          "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle