Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: Dying

  • Lori Hannis
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 13, 2008
      Thank you *S*

      and i've got an outside stove now....so i'm wanting to get started on some dying..i have a rather huge amount of wool now, so that's more I want to experiment with.

      i have this whole...project in mind...

      i have about three fleeces of wool that need washed and carded.
      then i'm going to spin it.i'm going to dye it (or card and then dye..not sure)
      and then i'm going to weave it...and then make it into an outfit.
      it i figure will be a 2-3 year project with everything else i need to do...

      this is just part of it.

      Emeline

      royalbabysitter <royalbabysitter@...> wrote:
      I have been very busy this past while, we have been recieving almost a
      constant downpour of rain all month (And part of last month)Not that I
      mind as I'm always "Ready for a storm", but with the lightning and
      thunder, weeds are trying to take over not only my too wet to mow lawm,
      but my herb gardens as well. Dyeing is a wonderful topic I hope to
      learn more about (If I can fit the art of it in with all the fencing
      lessons my brother insists upon throughout the day.
      Oh- I love your quote!

      Larissa, Daughter of Bruce

      --- In SCA-Herbalist@ yahoogroups. com, Lori Hannis <charmed3x3@ ...>
      wrote:

      > Does any one in the group do natural dyeing?
      >
      > emeline
      >

      > Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass
      > it's learning to dance in the rain.
      > Unknown.

      Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass
      it's learning to dance in the rain.
                                            Unknown.
    • Virginia Taylor
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 13, 2008
        I've been wondering the same thing- one is told not to use the rhubarb leaves because of the excess of oxalic acid, and then to buy jars of powdered oxalic acid is so frustrating. Anyone know how to get the acid out of the leaves? Is it as simple as tossing them into a vat of water and letting it leech out (my best guess so far, but I haven't tested it)?

         Tchipakkan

        "Have you no idea of progress, of development?"

        "I have seen them both in an egg, " said Caspian.  "We call it Going Bad in Narnia.""

      • Amy Provost
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 13, 2008
          Found this link...
          http://www.allfiberarts.com/library/howto/ht01/how_rhubarb_leaf_mordant.htm

          Ameline

          --
          www.crookedwall.org
          www.bthumbstudios.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 13, 2008
            So Ameline, ya need any rhubarb leaves???
            Aelfwyn

            In a message dated 6/13/2008 11:23:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, sparrowhawk9@... writes:
            Found this link...
            http://www.allfiber arts.com/ library/howto/ ht01/how_ rhubarb_leaf_ mordant.htm

            Ameline

            Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.
          • Amy Provost

              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 13, 2008
                I've seen a patch of joe pye somewhere, now let's see if I can remember where......
                Aelfwyn

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 14, 2008

                    What I do need and haven't been able to find wild crafting....sassafras,
                    boneset, scullcap, joe pye weed. Got a source in the area?

                    Ameline

                    What area? The SCA is a big place!

                    Tchipakkan
                    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.   --Albert Einstein

                  • Amy Provost

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 15, 2008
                          Will you be at Great Northeastern War? I'm willing to wait for seeds
                          for the joe pye weed (aka gravel root - great for gout and kidney
                          stones), but would love a small piece of boneset if it's spreading in
                          your area. They're just not something you're likely to find at your
                          local nursery! And if you are in need of anything in trade....

                          Ameline

                          --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Barbara <harpnfiddle@...> wrote:

                          > I have boneset and joe pye weed (my favorite September flower). I am
                          > located in Western MA (Barony of Bergental)
                          > Barbeta
                          >
                          > Virginia Taylor wrote:
                          > >

                          > > What I do need and haven't been able to find wild
                          crafting....sassafras,
                          > > boneset, scullcap, joe pye weed. Got a source in the area?
                          > >
                          > > Ameline
                          > >
                          > > What area? The SCA is a big place!
                          > >
                          > > Tchipakkan
                          > > The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who
                          > > are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
                          > > --Albert Einstein

                        • Virginia Taylor
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 15, 2008

                            wrote:

                            > What I do need and haven't been able to find wild crafting....sassafras,
                            > boneset, scullcap, joe pye weed. Got a source in the area?
                            What area?
                            >Sorry, Aelfwyn and I are in southern Maine....
                            OK- I'm in NH. I don't know about  joe pye weed, but I'm pretty sure I've got sassafras and boneset in my back yard. Are you going to be at GNEW? I could bring some up in a pot - and maybe you'd get lucky and it would transplant and live.
                            ARastorm

                            "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle