Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Burn Ointment

  • carolyn millsap
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2008
      Greetings,
      I have missed some of the posts regarding burn ointemt.  If this is what you are still speaking about, I strongly urge you to stay away from all lards and oils for burn cream.  These ingredients will purpetuate the burn and will make it more severe.  Anything you can imagine cooking with, ie: oil, butter, lard, will do this.
      May I suggest creating an herbal pulpuce instead, something like a very thick paste with a tea base.  Your herbs are appropriate but please, please don't use oil based products on burns.
      Thank you,
      Fand

      Sydney Walker Freedman <freedmas@...> wrote:
      Are you looking for a period ointment recipe containing those ingredients?
      If not, you could simply use those herbs in any good ointment recipe.
      The period ointment recipe bases that I have seen are lard (16th century
      sources) and a mixture of beeswax, olive oil, honey and tallow (late
      13th-century source). Let me know if you want the exact sources, and I'll
      dig up the references.

      Lady Cecilia de Cambrige

      > Does anyone know of an ointment that uses Lady's mantle and elderberry
      > leaves?
      >
      > Also, I am looking for an addition to my night time tea. I am currently
      > using ( in equal portions) Skullcap, catnip, valarian, chamomile,sweet
      > melissa and some peppermint to disguise the nastyness of the valarian.I
      > drink a cop of this at night befor bed.

      Pax Christi,
      Sydney

      God Bless America

      If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them...

      Carolyn

      http://mail.yahoo.com