mouse ear vs dandelion

  • Brett Chandler-Finch
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
      I am working on a formula for an A&S competition. It is a formula from
      Hildegard's Physica.

      One of the ingredients is mouse ear (Hieracium pilosella) It is
      not native to this area. I can purchase seeds to grow it, but I
      have never used it before. I am considering switching it for
      dandelion (Taraxacum officinale (WEBER)) which is similar in
      properties.

      Since this is a period formula, should I do this or grow the mouse
      ear. I have considered simply making a batch with the original herbs,
      and a batch with my substitions.

      Goldweard
    • Foster, Laurie E. USNCIV NAVAIR 2272, 3,

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
          If this formula is for diuretic use, I see no problem with making this substitution.  Dandelion is period as well, after all.  If the formula is more for respiratory purposes, you might want to substitute mullein instead.

           Ameline

          --
          www.crookedwall.org
          www.bthumbstudios.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008

            Here in the Middle we aren’t allowed to use medical preparations for A&S competition, but I think a comparison would be interesting. How would you test it?

            Ceit

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008

              Well if your having A&S in mind, its easy to document the thing and say that in period times this used mouse ear, but seeing as how that is difficult to find you used dandelion. Personally i would do both formulas and document it the same saying its very uncommon but you found seeds and grew it your self.

              Personally I would also check the side effects of each herb, and like was said the purpose of each herb and the purpose of the formula. I have seen a couple people talk about using some period formula that actually used a toxic herb, which on reference in several herbalist manuals make some note that some people are allergic to it but not that its toxic. But when i looked it up in my fav reference book "The Complete Guide To Herbal Medicines" (which i must say is a fantastic reference as its written by two experienced clinical pharmacists) showed the scientific study showing it was highly toxic, has caused the death of people and tons of animals, and directly causes liver failure.

              So even if you still use the period formula or a modified version, it would probably score big points showing the modern science of them or the difference etc. If you impress the judges ....

              Brother Varinn

              =============

              --
              www.crookedwall.org
              www.bthumbstudios.com

            • Brett Chandler-Finch
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
                Below is a comparison of the two herbs taken from Plants for a future
                http://www.pfaf.org/index.html

                They are very similar in nature. Grieves references to dandelion in
                the article on mouse ear. The formula is a tonic that can be
                taken by both those who are sick and those who are healthy to maintain
                health. It contains Fennel, Galingale, mouse ear, dittany though I
                may or may not maintain the dittany in the formula. It is a general
                stomachic formula that is taken with food. I have to be really picky
                in the formulas I present physically. normally I only present tonic
                formulas or salves.

                Mouse Ear Pilosella officinarum
                Astringent; Cholagogue; Diaphoretic; Diuretic; Expectorant; Tonic.

                Mouse-ear hawkweed relaxes the muscles of the bronchial tubes,
                stimulates the cough reflex and reduces the production of
                catarrh[254]. This combination of actions makes the herb effective
                against all manner of respiratory problems including asthma,
                wheeziness, whooping cough, bronchitis and other congested and chronic
                coughs[254].

                The herb is mildly astringent, cholagogue, diaphoretic, strongly
                diuretic, expectorant and tonic[4, 7, 9, 21, 165]. The fresh plant is
                antibiotic[7]. The plant has been regarded as a specific for whooping
                cough[4] and is also used in treating other problems of the
                respiratory system such as asthma, bronchitis and influenza[238]. The
                herb is also taken in the treatment of enteritis, influenza, pyelitis
                and cystitis[9]. It is occasionally used externally in the treatment
                of small wounds and cuts[7].The plant is harvested in May and June
                whilst in flower and can be used fresh or dried[4, 238].

                Taraxacum officinale - Weber.
                Dandelion

                dandelion Taraxacum officinale - Weber.

                Aperient; Cholagogue; Depurative; Diuretic; Hepatic; Laxative;
                Stomachic; Tonic; Warts.

                The dandelion is a commonly used herbal remedy. It is especially
                effective and valuable as a diuretic because it contains high levels
                of potassium salts and therefore can replace the potassium that is
                lost from the body when diuretics are used[238]. All parts of the
                plant, but especially the root, are slightly aperient, cholagogue,
                depurative, strongly diuretic, hepatic, laxative, stomachic and
                tonic[4, 7, 9, 21, 54, 165, 176, 222, 238]. The root is also
                experimentally cholagogue, hypoglycaemic and a weak antibiotic against
                yeast infections[222]. The dried root has a weaker action[222]. The
                roots can be used fresh or dried and should be harvested in the autumn
                when 2 years old[4]. The leaves are harvested in the spring when the
                plant is in flower and can be dried for later use[9]. A tea can be
                made from the leaves or, more commonly, from the roots[213]. The plant
                is used internally in the treatment of gall bladder and urinary
                disorders, gallstones, jaundice, cirrhosis, dyspepsia with
                constipation, oedema associated with high blood pressure and heart
                weakness, chronic joint and skin complaints, gout, eczema and
                acne[238]. The plant has an antibacterial action, inhibiting the
                growth of Staphylococcus aureus, Pneumococci, Meningococci, Bacillus
                dysenteriae, B. typhi, C. diphtheriae, Proteus etc[176]. The latex
                contained in the plant sap can be used to remove corns, warts and
                verrucae[7]. The latex has a specific action on inflammations of the
                gall bladder and is also believed to remove stones in the liver[7]. A
                tea made from the leaves is laxative[222].