Herbal midwifery

  • royalbabysitter
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hello, Does any one Know of somewher I could get training for Herbal
      Midwifery? I am an herbalist, (Particularly drawn to
      Medieval/Rennaisance herbalism) and one of my Aunts is a Midwife,
      Who, knowing my desire of combining the two occupations offered to
      take me as an apprentice if I started a course.
      I would greatly appreciate any help.
      Thankyou,
      Larissa Daughter of Bruce
    • Brett Chandler-Finch
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2008
        The first thing that you need to do is check your state and local
        laws. Determine what if any requirements there are for midwifery.
        Some states require a nurse midwife certification. Your state health
        department will be able to point you in the right direction including
        approved programs. THere are a coupel of programs in the US mostly
        in Arizona , but you need to check with the state first to see what
        they have to say. Most midwifery programs contain herbal training

        American College of Nurse-Midwives
        http://www.acnm.org/
        This prominent organization of nurse-midwives has a "web resources"
        section with links to other midwifery and health sites including major
        organizations worldwide, major libraries, and journal directories.

        Midwives Alliance of North America
        http://www.mana.org/
        The primary organization of lay midwives, MANA's site has an excellent
        bibliography including primary reference sources, secondary reference
        sources, text books, other helpful books, and even "entertaining
        reading."
      • barclayoms
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
          --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "royalbabysitter"
          <royalbabysitter@...> wrote:

          > Hello, Does any one Know of somewher I could get training for
          Herbal
          > Midwifery? I am an herbalist, (Particularly drawn to
          > Medieval/Rennaisance herbalism) and one of my Aunts is a Midwife,
          > Who, knowing my desire of combining the two occupations offered to
          > take me as an apprentice if I started a course.
          > I would greatly appreciate any help.
          > Thankyou,
          > Larissa Daughter of Bruce

          I would be so interested to see what information you find. I would
          like to know about this for interest's sake. My great-grandmother
          was an herbal midwife on the Lower East Side of NYC 100 years ago.
          She was trained in Poland as an herbal nurse. My mother remembers
          that whenever she visited them outside the city, she would go with
          her grandmother to collect herbs and roots. One day, they were in a
          neighbor's yard and her grandmother was cutting leaves. The lady of
          the house came out and asked what she was doing. My great-
          grandmother looked at her and said in her heavy accent, "That is my
          secret." The woman just looked at her and went back into the house.
          I wish I knew some of her "secrets"!
          Eleanor de Berchelai
        • Beth Ann Bretter
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
            http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:I7HyJ5bcLbYJ:www.herbnet.com/university_p2.htm+herbal+midwifery+certification&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us

            Is a list of a bunch of Herbal Certification programs,
            one in Michigan, called Gaia Center for Holistic
            Studies has an Herbal Midwifery program

            Peyton

            > > Hello, Does any one Know of somewher I could get
            > training for
            > Herbal
            > > Midwifery? I am an herbalist, (Particularly drawn
            > > Medieval/Rennaisance herbalism) and one of my
            > Aunts is a Midwife,
            > > Who, knowing my desire of combining the two
            > occupations offered to
            > > take me as an apprentice if I started a course.
            > > I would greatly appreciate any help.
            > > Thankyou,
            > > Larissa Daughter of Bruce

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • royalbabysitter
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
              Aye she sounds like an amazing Lady, I wish I knew some of her
              secrets as well! I am still looking for more information but I will
              try to let you know what I find out.
              Thankyou.
              Larissa, Daughter of Bruce

              --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "barclayoms" <derrydown@...>

            • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 17, 2008
                Oh, have you looked at Sophie Knab's work, including Polish herbs, Flowers
                and Folk Medicine? There are some references to pre1600 traditions in
                it...

                --
                -- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
                jenne@...