Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Rosemary gone wild!

  • Eric Kobuck Wagner
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 14, 2008
      I have rosemary everywhere, as I try to grow alot of what I use in my herb business.  I have a creeping rosemary that is about 4 ft. wide and 3 feet tall.  Then I have about 6 upright bushes around the yard.  Cooking, bath items , potpouri, I powder it and mix into a hair treatment for dark hair.  It is excellent for memory and great for sore muscles and in tea's for headaches with other herbs.  And the honey bees love it....

      My youngest apprentice (11yrs) has a motto:  You can never have too much Rosemary or too many Monkey's!

      Aricia Jehane

      Adhani√° <skyspinner@...> wrote:
      Also "soup wreaths"!  Good for just about any kind of soup you like to make.

      Use long limbs of the rosemary instead of a wreath form.  Make a base wreath about six inches in diameter, tie w/ cotton string and add other things such as bay leaves, sprigs of oregano, basil, parsley, cinnamon sticks, etc.  Gift it fresh to be used right away or dried for later use.  Add a recipe card, tied w/ a pretty ribbon.

      Even if it's "too pretty" to toss into the soup pot, it will still look (and smell) lovely on the wall.  LOL

      Adhani√° of Ols
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 14, 2008
        Take a large empty widemouthed jar (like a 5 pound honey jar) and
        rinse it well. Pack it with rosemary leaves. Fill the rest with
        Sandeman's Reserve or some other suitable port wine. Let it macerate
        for 3-6 months - the longer the better.

        Take your favorite traditional mead recipe. Before heating the must,
        toss the contents of the jar into a blender and whip it up, chopping
        up the leaves and aerating the port wine well. Toss it all directly
        into the must, and don't bother sparging the leaves out. In fact, if
        you decide not to siphon the must into the carboy and the leaves get
        in, so much the better. You can rack them off at first racking.

        This will give you an AWESOME rosemary mead. I've received nothing but
        rave reviews.

        Best,

        Aquilina
      • Aelfwyn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 15, 2008
          Wow, what wonderful responses! How I wish I had a rosemary bush, but mine dies each winter when I try to bring it inside. A friend and I keep the local herbalist economy stimulated a bit each spring when we buy our annual new plants, so good does come of this. One other use for that overgrown rosemary is to use stiffer twigs as cooking skewers (soak 'em a bit and thread the meat or veggies on then brush with olive oil and put on the grill - yum).
          Aelfwyn

          The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. AOL Music takes you there.
        • Diana Smith
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 15, 2008
            --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "S. Brenciaglia" <sdb@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            > I am quite proud of my large Rosemary plant, she is in a 24" >

            Here is Southern California rosemary always grows "wild". When I get
            too much in store and can't throw away that heavenly scent, I dry it,
            grind/powder it and sprinkle the carpet before vacuuming. This also
            helps with the flea and insect problems.

            Enjoy the bounty!
            Diana
          • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 15, 2008
              I have been making Rosemary vinegar for gifts but I have threatened to
              stop as people do not use it (the bottle, etc is "too pretty to

              Uh, put the vinegar in ugly bottles?
              Don't know if that'd help!
              ;)
              Rosie