Re: Mark on your palms?

  • Virginia Taylor
    Message 1 of 43 , Jan 4, 2008
      Carolyn wrote

      yes i have a broom under my ring finger. please tell me this is normal...... ..
      Apparently it's normal for this group- what have we got- 800 people in the group, and I've gotten dozens of positive responses in the first day? I think I'll be able to confidently use this tip in my own readings. Maybe rather than a broom it should be described as a bunch of herbs hanging from the ceiling to dry? It was described as a variation on the "healers stigmata" which is 3-5 vertical lines between the mounts of apollo and mercury (the pads under the ring and pinky fingers). Not to distract from herbal stuff (love the tangent into lotion), if you are interested in similar discussions, there's the  East Kingdom Soothsayer's Guild list on Yahoo too <eastkingdomsoothsayersguild@yahoogroups.com>
      Oh, darn, I left the book upstairs- I'll let everyone know where I found it in another post.

      Arastorm
      Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

    • Virginia Taylor
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 9, 2008
        Well, there is a guild in the East Kingdom. We do have to be careful,
        the guild rules proscribe any use of soothsaying that might offend
        anyone, so as you might imagine that gets pretty broad. We have one
        Laurel level soothsayer- Mistress Arwen, who did a lot of researching
        and displaying period methods of soothsaying- mostly with runes as
        her persona was Norse.
        It's the usual kind of dance of SCAers involved in learning skills of
        trying to only bring up the period aspects of a subject that's
        fascinating to you. While there's always been some form of divination
        in any culture I've encountered, in many- and specifically the
        Medieveal European ones, most forms of divination were frowned upon
        by the ruling classes (when they weren't doing them themselves out of
        sight).
        Try checking out the guild yahoo group:
        eastkingdomsoothsayersguild@yahoogroups.com
        As you'll see there, we occasionally plan events and activities, try
        to share research- especially when someone finds reference to period
        soothsaying.
        There's also an Aethlemark guild and list but the list anyway is not
        active. I expect guilds could be formed in most kingdoms, as long as
        the participants were careful to make sure that it was done with an
        historical focus. Sadly for the SCA, it's very hard to research
        period techniques. Mostly what's easy to document is modern
        techniques being created after SCA period ends!
        I think I'll copy this to the SCA Herbalist list as some other
        herbalists might also be interested.
        Tchipakkan/Arastorm

        On Jan 9, 2008, at 1:17 PM, R B wrote:

        > Hi Virginia,
        >
        > A soothsayer?
        >
        > Pardon me, since I'm relatively new to the SCA, but
        > what does a soothsayer do in the SCA?
        >
        > I'm in Atlantia (Barony of Highland Foorde to be
        > precise) and I've never heard of soothsayers in the
        > SCA, much less a whole guild of them.
        >
        > Please enlighten me! (I'm being serious.)
        >
        > YIS,
        >
        > Kalara "sometimes clueless" Zrinyi
        Tchipakkan
        If you know a friend you can fully trust, go often to his house.

        Grass & brambles quickly grow upon untrodden track.

        Havamal