Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: Help with soar Throat

  • Amy Provost
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
      So soy sauce?

      On 11/7/07, Nicole Young <nyoung@...> wrote:

      My best guess is that they somehow cooked/fermented the soybeans in order to make them edible/digestible to humans; as they are quite toxic to us in their raw state...

      YIS,
      Edwynna

      Most interesting as I didn't discover Japanese honeysuckle use until after it had bloomed this year.
      The focus of my herbal apprenticeship was more locally found plants, so I'm not familiar with everything on the list.  I find it interesting that there are some liver cleansers stuck in there though.  Anyone know what they mean by "prepared soybean"?

      Here's a translation for the formula in basic English....
      Japanese honeysuckle blossom
      Forsythia fruit
      Balloon flower root
      Great burdock fruit
      Field mint leaves
      prepared soybean
      leaves and flowers chinese catnip
      bamboo leaf
      phragmitis root
      I don't recognize the last one....

      Ameline

      --
      www.crookedwall.org
      www.bthumbstudios.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
        It will not work with my allergies...I am also allergic to Soybeans...

        Sorcha

        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007

          Really? I’m glad I’m not dead yet.

          Ceit (forager in soybean fields)

            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007

              Maybe it’s the difference between fresh green soybeans (edamame) and the soybeans after they’ve dried.

              Ceit

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 7, 2007
                  Hello again,

                  I am not an expert in the toxicity of soybeans, but am only passing on information a friend shared with me....

                  It may well be that only some people (with allergies) find soy toxic, or it may have something to do with the way the raw beans are processed, ie tofu versus soy sauce versus miso....  I am not disparaging the soy bean, as I love it in all the above mentioned forms, not to mention that soy is an excellent source of phyto-estrogens, which makes them a good thing to have in a woman's diet.

                  YIS,

                  Edwynna