Re: [SCA-Herbalist] sachets

  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
      At 08:07 PM 9/23/2007, you wrote:
      > "herbal" (lavender, rosemary, sage, etc.), and
      >let the giftees pick????

      The herbal one sounds lovely.

      Anyone have a basic recipe, or proportions?

      Laurensa
    • alandleslyan
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
        I Use 1 tablespoonfull of each dried herb
        and usualluy add some orris root (Iris root) powder
        to keep it all dry. Orris also has a slightly voilet scent...

        leslyan

        --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Dianne & Greg Stucki
        <goofy4@...> wrote:

        > At 08:07 PM 9/23/2007, you wrote:
        > > "herbal" (lavender, rosemary, sage, etc.), and
        > >let the giftees pick????
        >

        > The herbal one sounds lovely.
        >
        > Anyone have a basic recipe, or proportions?
        >
        > Laurensa

      • Lori Hannis
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
          I belong to the highly  technical type of herbalist people

          it's complicated...work with me *lol*

          2 parts oats
          1 part wheat germ
          1 part powdered milk
          1 part of each herb you wish to ad( One lav..one rosemary..one..etc)

          put in big plastic bag

          shake shake shake

          shake shake shake

          measure out into sachets..

          that's how i've alway's done it...

          I'm not really certain how to go about the honey part of it...i haven't played with that yet

          i'm betting though...get the honey REALLY HOT

          and after everything is in the sachets...drizzling a little bit over.then sealing them shut would be the best bet...

          I'm still working on that one though

          I have learnt however..that when adding vanilla pods...it's best to add one pod to a thing of Quaker oats (you know..the box they come in)...and let sit for a few days/weeks/months before use..so that scent infuses the oats...that way it's evenly distruted...cause, frankly
          vanilla pods are expensive!

          and since I don't have orchids growing wild here in the Outlands...i try to be economical on those.

          Emeline l'Espicier

          Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass
          it's learning to dance in the rain.
                                                Unknown.
        • Carowyn Silveroak
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
            Greetings,

            I also agree with the "exact precise" method of sachet-making (rolls
            eyes)....

            I toss a base - oatmeal, flax seed, rice (bath sachets for the first, hot
            packs for the second and third) into a plastic bag.

            For the herbs I add, I'm into getting a balance of scents......so I'll
            toss in equal amounts of the rosemary and lavender, but only about a
            quarter as much of the sage, since it can overpower. But that's just me.
            Try some batches, and see what smells good to you.

            Then, shake shake SHAKE shake shake.....oh yeah, close the bag first.....

            Divvy up into pouches, distribute with abandon!

            -Carowyn