Top 20 Herbs and Spices plus Salt

  • Sharon Gordon
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 4, 2007
      If you could have only 20 cooking herbs and spices (plus salt as the 21st item) and wanted at least half of them to be multiuse, what would you choose?   Would you focus on spices of a particular cuisine or select a core group that works for many cuisines and maybe a few for spscific suisines?  Would you stick to herbs and spices that can be grown in your area or would you choose the world as your garden?

      Herbs and Spices may be fresh or dried or otherwise preserved.

      For the multiuse part consider what else the herb or spice could be used for in addition to cooking.  It might be good for medicine, cosmetics and toiletries, dyes, or other uses.  Even better if it has more than one additional use :-).  More than 10 of them can be multiuse if you like.

      (PS this does not include condiments like vinegar, prepared mustard (Mustard seed is ok), or fish sauce.  That's a future question.)

      Sharon
    • Lori Hannis
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 4, 2007
        Grains of paradise
        Mint
        Thyme
        Rosemary
        Mustard Seed
        Garlic.
        Sage
        Tumeric
        paprika
        cardamon
        fennel
        sesame seeds
        dill
        basil
        chili's
        feverfew
        coriander
        horseradish
        and capers

        those are the ones I absolutely cannot live with out

        Sharon Gordon <gordonse@...> wrote:
[...]

        Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass
        it's learning to dance in the rain.
                                              Unknown.
      • Amy Provost
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 4, 2007
          Hmm, all culinary herbs can technically translate to medicine....
          For local grown spices:
          garlic
          onion
          red pepper
          thyme
          oregano
          horseradish
          fennel
          basil

          silk road spices:
          cinnamon
          ginger
          clove
          anise
          cardamom
          turmeric

          and not necessarily culinary, but important medicine:
          peppermint
          lemon balm
          comfrey
          calendula
          dandelion
          plantain

          Ameline

          --
          www.crookedwall.org
          www.bthumbstudios.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 4, 2007
            Some are for flavoring and some are for medicinal. I suppose that one's medicinal elements are going to vary from person to person depending upon the reason for the treatment. I'd include honey as we are NEVER without pure Organic honey, but it doesn't really fall into an herbal category:

            Basil-this is my #1 favorite herb for flavoring
            Chamomile
            Cilantro
            Mint
            Comfrey
            Echinacea
            Ginger
            Saffron-unsure about the medicinal value but I love the flavor
            Cayenne/Peppers
            Garlic-if we run out, my hubby claims this is grounds for divorce
            Onion
            St. John's Wort-I did my Senior Thesis on this so I can't exclude it
            Cinnamon-everything from toast to coffee to rolls and chewing on the sticks
            Thyme
            Rosemary
            Sage
            Nutmeg
            Yarrow
            Hops
            Raspberry Leaf
            Feverfew

                "We all straddle the abyss. If we never look down, we will never know who we are"-Oscar Wilde

            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 4, 2007
              --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Provost"
              <sparrowhawk9@...> wrote:
              I would rather put Rosemary in the place of the onion. I adore
              Rosemary and it was used in medieval cooking as well. Rosemary could
              be topiaried and grown inside as well as outside.

              > Hmm, all culinary herbs can technically translate to medicine....
              > For local grown spices:
              > garlic
              > onion
              > red pepper
              > thyme
              > oregano
              > horseradish
              > fennel
              > basil
              >
              > silk road spices:
              > cinnamon
              > ginger
              > clove
              > anise
              > cardamom
              > turmeric
              >
              > and not necessarily culinary, but important medicine:
              > peppermint
              > lemon balm
              > comfrey
              > calendula
              > dandelion
              > plantain
              >
              > Ameline

            • S. Brenciaglia
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 5, 2007
                You do not mention Angelica, which comes to mind because I have three gargantuan plants of it which need to be out of where they are, alas.  All my herbals deal with what to do with the root once it is harvested but how, precisely, does one harvvest and care for it?
                Ta ever so,
                Cat of Airley
                I would rather put Rosemary in the place of the onion. I adore
                Rosemary and it was used in medieval cooking as well. Rosemary could
                be topiaried and grown inside as well as outside.

                > Hmm, all culinary herbs can technically translate to medicine....
                > For local grown spices:
                > garlic
                > onion
                > red pepper
                > thyme
                > oregano
                > horseradish
                > fennel
                > basil
                >
                > silk road spices:
                > cinnamon
                > ginger
                > clove
                > anise
                > cardamom
                > turmeric
                >
                > and not necessarily culinary, but important medicine:
                > peppermint
                > lemon balm
                > comfrey
                > calendula
                > dandelion
                > plantain
                >
                > Ameline

              • Virginia Taylor
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 5, 2007
                  Garlic
                  Onion
                  Mint
                  Saffron
                  Sage
                  Chamomile
                  Fennel
                  Anise
                  Calendula
                  Lemon balm
                  Dandelion
                  Nettle
                  Comphrey
                  Plantain
                  Yarrow
                  Valerian
                  Coltsfoot
                  Bramble (raspberry, blackberry)
                  Apple/ crab apple (are we including tree herbs?)
                  (do mushrooms count as herbs? if not, St. Johnswort)

                  Arastorm
                • Katherine Stark
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 5, 2007
                    humm....

                    growing in my garden wright now
                    onion
                    garlic
                    thyme
                    fennel
                    basil
                    mint
                    catnip
                    wormwood
                    dill
                    rosemary
                    aloe

                    I get from the woods
                    sasafrass

                    I buy
                    ginger
                    poppy
                    bay
                    clove
                    long pepper
                    tumeric
                    lemon balm
                    grains of paradise

                    > If you could have only 20 cooking herbs and spices (plus salt as
                    the 21st item) and wanted at least half of them to be multiuse, what
                    would you choose? Would you focus on spices of a particular
                    cuisine or select a core group that works for many cuisines and
                    maybe a few for spscific suisines? Would you stick to herbs and
                    spices that can be grown in your area or would you choose the world
                    as your garden?

                    > Herbs and Spices may be fresh or dried or otherwise preserved.
                    >
                    > For the multiuse part consider what else the herb or spice could
                    be used for in addition to cooking. It might be good for medicine,
                    cosmetics and toiletries, dyes, or other uses. Even better if it
                    has more than one additional use :-). More than 10 of them can be
                    multiuse if you like.

                  • LA / nodecaf
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 5, 2007

                      Greetings Gentles,

                      Just wondering…Why are garlic and onions being included on so many herbs and spices lists? While they both have and add distinctive flavors, I have always treated them and used them as a root vegetable in my modern and period cooking.

                      Si khohaimo may pachivalo sar o chachimo

                      Tsura to je Stariji

                    • Sydney Walker Freedman
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 5, 2007
                        I think that part of the reason is there medicinal value, but they can be
                        used as seasonings in powder form as well.

                        > Greetings Gentles,
                        >

                        > Just wondering.Why are garlic and onions being included on so many herbs
                        > and
                        > spices lists? While they both have and add distinctive flavors, I have
                        > always treated them and used them as a root vegetable in my modern and
                        > period cooking.
                        >

                        > Si khohaimo may pachivalo sar o chachimo
                        >

                        > Tsura to je Stariji

                        Pax Christi,
                        Sydney
                      • Alyson
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 5, 2007
                          Ginger is also a root and is considered a spice. There are other roots used as herbs but I cannot recall them at the moment.  During the medaieval period all growing things were considered "herbs" if they were used. I don't know if that same term applies to modern times. I'm tired and my mind is babbling.....
                          Kemper

                              "We all straddle the abyss. If we never look down, we will never know who we are"-Oscar Wilde

                          I think that part of the reason is there medicinal value, but they can be
                          used as seasonings in powder form as well.

                          > Greetings Gentles,
                          >

                          > Just wondering.Why are garlic and onions being included on so many herbs
                          > and
                          > spices lists? While they both have and add distinctive flavors, I have
                          > always treated them and used them as a root vegetable in my modern and
                          > period cooking.
                          >

                          > Si khohaimo may pachivalo sar o chachimo
                          >

                          > Tsura to je Stariji

                          Pax Christi,
                          Sydney

                        • Amy
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 6, 2007
                            You will want to harvest between 10AM and 2PM, like all other herbs.
                            Roots should be harvested after the flower and seed stage in the fall.
                            Yank the whole plant up, wash away the dirt, and let it dry. I've
                            never harvested angelica myself. Do you know how old your plants are?

                            Ameline

                            --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "S. Brenciaglia" <sdb@...> wrote:

                            > You do not mention Angelica, which comes to mind because I have three
                            gargantuan plants of it which need to be out of where they are, alas.
                            All my herbals deal with what to do with the root once it is harvested
                            but how, precisely, does one harvvest and care for it?
                            > Ta ever so,
                            > Cat of Airley
                          • Amy
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 6, 2007
                              Personally, I included them because of the medicinal value. They are
                              both antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antioxidant. They help to
                              naturally lower cholesterol and prevent blood clots. Both are
                              excellent when you have a cold or flu.

                              Perhaps I misread the original question, but I took "herbs and
                              spices" to mean anything found in the apothecary shop.

                              Ameline

                              --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "LA / nodecaf" <nodecaf@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Greetings Gentles,
                              >

                              > Just wondering.Why are garlic and onions being included on so many
                              herbs and
                              > spices lists? While they both have and add distinctive flavors, I
                              have
                              > always treated them and used them as a root vegetable in my modern
                              and
                              > period cooking.
                              >

                              > Si khohaimo may pachivalo sar o chachimo
                              >

                              > Tsura to je Stariji

                            • King's Taste Productions
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 6, 2007

                                Basil - culinary

                                Black Pepper Seed - culinary, medicinal

                                Caraway Seed – culinary

                                Cayenne - culinary, medicinal

                                Chamomile – culinary (tea), medicinal

                                Cilantro - culinary

                                Cinnamon - culinary, medicinal, food preservation

                                Cloves - culinary, medicinal

                                Cumin Seed – culinary

                                Dill weed & seed (does that count as two?) - culinary, medicinal

                                Fennel Seed - culinary, medicinal

                                Ginger - culinary, medicinal

                                Mint - culinary, medicinal

                                Mustard Seed - culinary, medicinal

                                Nutmeg - culinary

                                Oregano - culinary

                                Parsley - culinary, medicinal

                                Rosemary - culinary, medicinal

                                Sage - culinary, medicinal

                                Thyme - culinary

                                Culinary, medicinal, dye, cosmetic

                                Ok, I’m leaving garlic and things like lemon and orange peel, shallots and chili peppers off of this list as they are more food items than herbs and spices.  I’ve included cayenne because while I avoid eating it, it is a very good medicinal.

                                My second string (things that had to get eliminated off of this list – although I might switch some up anyway):

                                Allspice

                                Bay Leaves

                                Cardamom

                                Celery Seed

                                Grains of Paradise

                                Marjoram

                                Paprika (Hungarian)

                                Saffron

                                Chinese 5-Spice

                                Curry Powder

                                Old Bay

                                I’d definitely be agonizing over some of those choices – never to have saffron?  ooooohhhh…..

                                Christianna

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 6, 2007
                                  Cat of Airley wrote:
                                  You do not mention Angelica, which comes to mind because I have three gargantuan plants of it which need to be out of where they are, alas. All my herbals deal with what to do with the root once it is harvested but how, precisely, does one harvvest and care for it?

                                  I HAD to plant Angelica when I read that it was a capital offence to steal someone's Anglelica plant during viking times, and I love the way it looks at most stages. But I don't know how to harvest it either- it seems to me that if you cut the stalks to candy (as I've bought in the past) you won't get the seed heads, because I can't imagine that you candy them once the seeds have browned. Or do we just not worry about that?

                                  I also recently read that they called herb gardens "angelica fields" (only I forget the original- I'll look it up if anyone is interested) so maybe the crime was a generic stealing of herbs from another's garden. It would certainly be serious to deprive someone of carefully tended source of medicine.
                                  Arastorm
                                • Katherine Stark
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 6, 2007
                                    well I use both becouse are very useful herbs. both as a flavoring
                                    agent and becouse they have good medical uses.

                                    example: garlic
                                    used to treat arteriosclerosis, hypertension, colds, flu, ear
                                    infections, yeast infections, fever, cough/bronchitis, skin and fungal
                                    infections, and high cholesterol

                                    did your mother ever give you chicken soup as a kid? :-)

                                    have fun storming the castle,
                                    marion nic galen
                                    > Just wondering.Why are garlic and onions being included on so many
                                    herbs and
                                    > spices lists?
                                  • Mieka Billings
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 6, 2007
                                      Okay, I have to ask... How do you candy Angelica
                                      stalks? the same way you candy citrus peel?
                                      (immersion and shot cooking in sugar solution followed
                                      by rolling in granulated sugar.) or something else?

                                      Mieka

                                      --- Virginia Taylor <tchipakkan@...> wrote:

                                      > Cat of Airley wrote:
                                      >
                                      > I HAD to plant Angelica when I read that it was a
                                      > capital offence to
                                      > steal someone's Anglelica plant during viking times,
                                      > and I love the
                                      > way it looks at most stages. But I don't know how to
                                      > harvest it
                                      > either- it seems to me that if you cut the stalks to
                                      > candy (as I've
                                      > bought in the past) you won't get the seed heads,
                                      > because I can't
                                      > imagine that you candy them once the seeds have
                                      > browned. Or do we
                                      > just not worry about that?

                                    • S. Brenciaglia
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 7, 2007
                                        Noo idea how old, at the very least 5 years.
                                        Cat
                                        You will want to harvest between 10AM and 2PM, like all other herbs.
                                        Roots should be harvested after the flower and seed stage in the fall.
                                        Yank the whole plant up, wash away the dirt, and let it dry. I've
                                        never harvested angelica myself. Do you know how old your plants are?

                                        Ameline

                                        --- In SCA-Herbalist@ yahoogroups. com, "S. Brenciaglia" <sdb@...> wrote:

                                        > You do not mention Angelica, which comes to mind because I have three
                                        gargantuan plants of it which need to be out of where they are, alas.
                                        All my herbals deal with what to do with the root once it is harvested
                                        but how, precisely, does one harvvest and care for it?
                                        > Ta ever so,
                                        > Cat of Airley

                                      • kellitwig
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 7, 2007
                                          1. Basil- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          2. Turmeric- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          3. Cumin- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          4. Oregano- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          5. Paprika- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          6. Horesradish- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          7. Garlic- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          8. Cinnamon- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          9. Cayenne- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          10. Sage- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          11. Cloves- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          12. Thyme- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          13. Mullein- Culinary, Medicinal, Tea
                                          14. Green Tea- Culinary, Medicinal, Tea
                                          15. Bay- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          16. Celery Seed- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          17. Dill- Culinary, Medicinal
                                          18. Spearmint- Culinary, Medicinal, Tea
                                          19. Lavender- Culinary, Medicinal, Tea
                                          20. Nutmeg- Culinary, Medicinal

                                          21. Salt

                                          --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Gordon" <gordonse@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > If you could have only 20 cooking herbs and spices (plus salt as
                                          the 21st item) and wanted at least half of them to be multiuse, what
                                          would you choose? Would you focus on spices of a particular cuisine
                                          or select a core group that works for many cuisines and maybe a few
                                          for spscific suisines? Would you stick to herbs and spices that can
                                          be grown in your area or would you choose the world as your garden?

                                          > Herbs and Spices may be fresh or dried or otherwise preserved.
                                          >
                                          > For the multiuse part consider what else the herb or spice could be
                                          used for in addition to cooking. It might be good for medicine,
                                          cosmetics and toiletries, dyes, or other uses. Even better if it has
                                          more than one additional use :-). More than 10 of them can be
                                          multiuse if you like.

                                          > (PS this does not include condiments like vinegar, prepared mustard
                                          (Mustard seed is ok), or fish sauce. That's a future question.)

                                          > Sharon
                                          > gordonse@...

                                        • Virginia Taylor
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 7, 2007

                                            Christianna wrote:
                                            Dill weed & seed (does that count as two?)

                                            Hey, one plant, one herb! Of course it's only one!
                                            Arastorm

                                          • Marian
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 8, 2007
                                              --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Virginia Taylor <tchipakkan@...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > Christianna wrote:
                                              > Dill weed & seed (does that count as two?)
                                              >
                                              > Hey, one plant, one herb! Of course it's only one!
                                              > Arastorm

                                              Not necessarily. Nutmeg and mace come from the same tree but are
                                              considered two different spices.

                                              --Old Marian
                                            • treehugger treehugger
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 8, 2007
                                                Mullein for culinary? Do you have any recipies to share?

                                                Well done is better than well said.
                                                -Benjamin Franklin

                                              • Virginia Taylor
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 9, 2007
                                                  > Hey, one plant, one herb! Of course it's only one!
                                                  > Arastorm

                                                  Not necessarily. Nutmeg and mace come from the same tree but are
                                                  considered two different spices.

                                                  --Old Marian

                                                  True- but I was thinking more in terms of "if you could only have 20 herbs...", which I extend to what would I grow?  So another way I was looking at it was- do I have to could the herbs I know I can wild-craft? Think about period herb gardens- they didn't plant plantain or wood sorrel or celandine  or the other herbs they knew were in the fields nearby. I suppose one has to think carefully about the actual question without interpreting it. Looking back at the original question, I see it says:

                                                  > If you could have only 20 cooking herbs and spices (plus salt as the 21st item) and wanted at least half of them to be multi-use, what would you choose?

                                                  Does that mean the only herbs and spices available for physic would be the ones I keep for cooking? Or that, for example, valerian and coltsfoot don't count in the list because they aren't cooking spices- but I still have access to them? For cooking, I would like to include pepper and cinnamon, but for  multi-use I have to consider medicine and dyeing and  magick as well. Good food is life enhancing, but good health overrides everything. I might well give up pepper rather than never have coltsfoot available for treating colds.

                                                  >Would you focus on spices of a particular cuisine or select a core group that works for many cuisines and maybe a few for specific cuisines?
                                                  Given the premise "only have 20 cooking herbs" - I'd go for what I use most in my family- which is definitely mixed cuisine, but still fairly simple (and kind of allium heavy).

                                                  >Would you stick to herbs and spices that can be grown in your area or would you choose the world as your garden?
                                                  Why do we only have 20? Is it because you have to produce them yourself or is it like an iron chef competition where you have to use only the given ingredients. Part of the reason I explore herbal medicinals is because I hate the thought of being dependent on the vagaries of trade. Herbal tradition says that local herbs are better for you, fresh herbs are generally more potent than stored herbs, and if you collect them yourself you have more control over the whole quality process.

                                                  Arastorm (over-thinking again, sigh)

                                                • Wyldrose
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Sep 9, 2007
                                                    For period gardens, I also amazed no one has mentioned poppies (as in opium type ) which was often need as a pain-killer. Not that I would grow them today, but  in other times, they would be very important.
                                                                     Kay
                                                  • Sharon Gordon
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Sep 9, 2007
                                                      People's thoughts on this are really interesting. And there are a number of
                                                      herbs that most people would like to have. I'd love to see answers from
                                                      more people or even from your persona's time and place :-).

                                                      To shed some light on the thinking behind this...thoughts and further
                                                      considerations e marked with ***

                                                      ***The goal was to focus on 20 culinary herbs, but also to pick some(half or
                                                      more) that had at least one additional use. It's a way to look at herbs
                                                      you have around for cooking and think --What else could I do with this?

                                                      ***In the future I think it would be fun to consider questions like
                                                      ---What are your top 20 choices of herbs for the first aid kit or the
                                                      medicine cabinet?
                                                      ---What wild herbs would you most like to be able to forage?
                                                      ---If you could have a dozen herbs that were good natural dyes, what would
                                                      you choose? By using different mordants, what colors could you get from
                                                      your herb collection?
                                                      ---If you were going to give a scribe 20 herbs that would be useful to a
                                                      person interested in the scribal arts, what would you include in your gift
                                                      and why?
                                                      ---If you grew a period garden in your persona's location and time, what 20
                                                      herbs for all uses would you most want to grow?

                                                      >> Hey, one plant, one herb! Of course it's only one!
                                                      >> Arastorm
                                                      >Not necessarily. Nutmeg and mace come from the same tree but are
                                                      ***For the purposes of this question, you can consider one plant to be one
                                                      herb. So nutmeg/mace is one. Coriander/cilantro is one Fresh
                                                      celery/celery seed/ground celery seed/celery leaves/dried celery is one.

                                                      >Does that mean the only herbs and spices available for physic would be the
                                                      ones I keep for cooking?
                                                      ***This question is more like--You have 20 cooking herbs and spices. What
                                                      else can you do with them?

                                                      >For cooking, I would like to include pepper and cinnamon, but for
                                                      multi-use I have to consider medicine and dyeing and magick as well. Good
                                                      food is life enhancing, but good health overrides everything
                                                      ***Cinnamon(either Cinnamomum verum or Cinnamomum aromaticum) and pepper
                                                      both have a varietyof medicinal uses. Also it's important to consider how
                                                      the soothing effects of a satisfying and tasty diet have a positive effect
                                                      on people's health.

                                                      >Why do we only have 20? Is it because you have to produce them yourself or
                                                      is it like an iron chef competition where you have to use only the given
                                                      ingredients
                                                      ***This was sort of an iron chef effect to make the discussion more
                                                      manageable. If I'd said something like, Please name every cooking herb
                                                      you'd ever want to use and list all the other ways they could be used, it
                                                      would probably have taken years to come up with an answer to the question.
                                                      Feel free to give yourself a different limit though and add to the answer.
                                                      Maybe you would like to see what you'd include in a collection of 50 herbs.

                                                      >Why are garlic and onions being included on so many herbs and spices lists?
                                                      While they both have and add distinctive flavors, I have always treated them
                                                      and used them as a root vegetable in my modern and period cooking.
                                                      ***They could go on herb lists or vegetable lists. On an earlier question
                                                      involving pantry/root cellar but not herbs and spices favorite foods, some
                                                      people included them as an item for the pantry and some people said they
                                                      would include them with their herbs and spices on another list.

                                                      Sharon
                                                      gordonse@...