Documentation help needed

  • Betty Pillsbury
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 14, 2007

      There is an article on fragrance in “The Herbarist”, which is the annual publication put out by the Herb Society of America.  The author, Jane Knaapen Cole, states “ Since ancient times beads of all kinds have served as adornment, talismans, symbols of wealth or class and spiritual identification.  The word “bead” is derived from the Middle English word bede, which means “prayer”.  Scented beads are part of a long history.  Beads made of rose petals that have been cooked, mashed and molded by hand trace their origins to India where the devout used them as a counting device while reciting their prayers.  The scent was released as the beads were handled.  In the third century C.E., Eastern Christian monks used rose beads.  By the fifteenth century, Christian monks were “telling their beads” or praying their rosary-from rosarium, Latin for rose garden.”

      She lists her resources as:

      Groom, Nigel.  1992.  “The perfumer’s handbook.” Chapman and Hall: London.

      Manniche, Lise.  1999.  Sacred luxuries.  Cornell University Pres: Ithaca, New York.

      Morris, Edwin T. 1984.  Fragrance.  Charles Scribner’s and Sons: New York.

      Verey, Rosemary.  1981.  The Scented Garden.  Van Nostrand Reinhold Company: New York.

      As you can see, none of these are primary sources.  But, they may lead to the trail of primary sources.  I haven’t had a chance to track them down yet.

      Betty – who used to play as Bronwynn O’Loughlin in Calontir

      www.GreenSpiralHerbs.com

      www.bettypillsbury.com

      .

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.

    • Alyson
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 15, 2007

         I'd like a copy also. Thanks! Kemper

            "We all straddle the abyss. If we never look down, we will never know who we are"-Oscar Wilde

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 15, 2007
          i'd love a copy as well,
          as well as directions for making them if possible

          --
          www.crookedwall. org
          www.bthumbstudios. com

          "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ "WOO HOO, what a ride!"