Comfrey oil question

  • Robin Kennedy
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2007
      Good morrow, Gentles,

      I successfully made some plantain ointment, but a curious thing
      happened when I was making comfrey oil/ointment.
      After soaking the comfrey in olive oil in a closed, brown bottle, there
      was pressure when I opened the bottle and a lot of bubbling. I had it
      soaking in oil a couple of days longer than planned, so perhaps this is
      the cause? Is the oil still usable should I throw the whole batch away?

      respectfully, and with still much to learn,
      Marthe
    • Lori Hannis
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2007
        Good morrow!

        I have never had any luck with it myself, I was wondering the same thing, if I was doing it wrong...or it just couldn't be done..

        i've only ever really had luck making tinctures with comfrey, those alway's work really well, and don't really seem to matter what type alcohol I use  for them. I even in a sheer moment of desperation used peppermint schnapps one time, it not only had the cool and fruity uses of comfrey..it had that nice minty feeling and felt *really* awesome on the feet after a long day waiting tables and bar tending. and so I've made that several time since,

        but if any one has any advice on the making of the oil, I too would greatfully learn.

        In Service

        Emeline

        Robin Kennedy <woodchuckalpha1@...> wrote:
        Good morrow, Gentles,

        I successfully made some plantain ointment, but a curious thing
        happened when I was making comfrey oil/ointment.
        After soaking the comfrey in olive oil in a closed, brown bottle, there
        was pressure when I opened the bottle and a lot of bubbling. I had it
        soaking in oil a couple of days longer than planned, so perhaps this is
        the cause? Is the oil still usable should I throw the whole batch away?

        respectfully, and with still much to learn,
        Marthe

        "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ "WOO HOO, what a ride!"
      • Dianna Haught
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2007
          Are you trying to use the leaves or the roots? I've had very good luck with chopped root, but I air dried it first. If you are trying to use the leaves and you haven't dried them properly first, you could get this effect from the moisture in the leaves. The roots are the more beneficial part of the plant and the part you want to be be using for oils. I'm more impatient. I just put it all in the crockpot overnight on low (roots/olive oil).
          Avacyn

          >Good morrow!
          >
          >I have never had any luck with it myself, I was wondering the same thing, if I was doing it wrong...or it just couldn't be done..
          >
          >i've only ever really had luck making tinctures with comfrey, those alway's work really well, and don't really seem to matter what type alcohol I use for them. I even in a sheer moment of desperation used peppermint schnapps one time, it not only had the cool and fruity uses of comfrey..it had that nice minty feeling and felt *really* awesome on the feet after a long day waiting tables and bar tending. and so I've made that several time since,
          >
          >but if any one has any advice on the making of the oil, I too would greatfully learn.
          >
          >In Service
          >
          >Emeline
        • Betty Pillsbury
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2007

            Marthe, was your comfrey leaf fresh or had it dried?  Or did you use comfrey root?  If fresh, there may have been some water releasing from the plant material.  If the plant material wasn’t submerged completely, you may have had some mold activity going on.  Without seeing/smelling your oil, it’s impossible to tell whether it is still okay.  Best to play it safe and start again.

            Betty (Bronwynn)

            www.GreenSpiralHerbs.com

            www.bettypillsbury.com

             I successfully made some plantain ointment, but a curious thing
            happened when I was making comfrey oil/ointment.
            After soaking the comfrey in olive oil in a closed, brown bottle, there
            was pressure when I opened the bottle and a lot of bubbling. I had it
            soaking in oil a couple of days longer than planned, so perhaps this is
            the cause? Is the oil still usable should I throw the whole batch away?

            respectfully, and with still much to learn,
            Marthe

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 14, 2007
              > I successfully made some plantain ointment, but a curious thing
              > happened when I was making comfrey oil/ointment.
              > After soaking the comfrey in olive oil in a closed, brown bottle, there
              > was pressure when I opened the bottle and a lot of bubbling. I had it

              I would avoid using it. There are 2 things that can do this-- the
              presence of air can allow aerobic bacteria to attack your herbs, or
              anerobic bacteria may cause a problem even if no air is trapped under
              the oil. Either way, the results are unlikely to be good.

              If you want to use comfrey leaves rather than root, let them dry/wilt a
              bit (several hours) before making the oil, and use a hot oil method
              (cooking the herbs in oil over low heat) rather than a cold one-- this
              method is actually more documentably anyway. Comfrey roots appear to be
              more commonly used for such things, slightly dried out and chipped.

            • Amy Provost
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 14, 2007
                I had success with allowing my leaves to hang to dry overnight.  Using fresh will give you a nice green color, where dried will yield a more yellow tone.  You are almost guaranteed a moldy product if you start with leaves fresh picked from the garden.  Overnight drying turned out to be a good compromise.
                I set my jar out in the sun for 4 weeks, since I wasn't in any hurry to make product.  Using this method, the choice of jar is very important.  You'll want to use a canning jar because of the tight seal it provides.  Reusing a peanut butter (or any other food product) jar is fine, but you'll want to add a piece of saran wrap over the jar before putting the lid on to get a proper seal.

                Ameline

                --
                www.crookedwall.org
                www.bthumbstudios.com