Re: Carpenter Ants

  • Carowyn Silveroak
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2007

      Greetings,

      We just discovered this past week that the grits treatment works of carpenter ants - our incursion is over!  ;-)

      -Carowyn
    • Aelfwyn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2007
        In a message dated 5/30/2007 01:15:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, silveroak@... writes:
        We just discovered this past week that the grits treatment works of carpenter ants - our incursion is over!  ;-)
        Carowyn, details, PLEASE! Finding a "cure" for the annual carpenter ant invasion might even make my DH think more kindly of the SCA.
        Aelfwyn

        See what's free at AOL.com.
      • Carowyn Silveroak
        Message 3 of 3 , May 30, 2007

          Hi again!

          >Carowyn, details, PLEASE! Finding a "cure" for the annual carpenter ant
          invasion might even make my DH think more kindly of the SCA.

          Long-cook grits!  Not the minute grits or the 3-minute grits....the takes-hours-to-cook-'em grits.  *rummages for package*  We're using Quaker brand "Old Fashioned Grits".  Just sprinkle near where you see them, then sit back and wait for the explosions.

          We had a bunch in the house one day, and we sprinkled that night - the next afternoon when I got back, carcasses everywhere.  We've seen one since, and that was in the bathroom on the other side of the house.

          I think they've learned that the second story is "unsafe" for them.....heh heh heh.....

          Just remember, you have to re-sprinkle after moisture, like morning dew or rain or accidental splash of watering can, etc.

          And yes, I learned this treatment in the SCA!  We use it at Pennsic every year.....the ants learn to avoid our camp by the third day, and will react strongly to the presence of grits!  (I trapped one in a circle of grits once.....I'm not a nice person somedays, but I *did* let him out of the enchanted circle.....

          -Carowyn

          P.S.  Don't ask about my new treatment of ticks found on people......hey, if they crawl around while the glass bead torch is out, they *deserve* being wrapped in a glass bead!!!!