Re: The guild-goals

  • Linda Krecker-Schkred
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2000
      For a guild or any organization goals are important. They define what
      is common about the participants. They keep the group focused. Goals
      can change as the member base changes and grows. Even this list has
      goals, although most likely not written down and advertised. I can
      guess that the goal of this list is to bring together people to talk
      about the gardening and uses of herbs as done so in the period of SCA
      study.

      I like the second goal of Jadwiga's:

      The Herbalists Guild should "encourage study,
      teaching and practice of
      medieval herb uses in the East Kingdom."

      Add onto this, her first:

      The Herbalists Guild should "serve as a conduit
      for herbalists in the
      kingdom to communicate with and learn from each other.

      And we have the makings of a very nice and useable set of goals. Are
      there any other suggestions? Might we add something specific
      regarding teaching others? You know, bring others into the fold?

      Mistress Rhianwen

      >From: Jenne Heise <jenne@...>
      >
      >Er, um. Well, no. Maybe we should have some?
      >
      >I'd like to see this guild serve as a conduit for herbalists in the
      >kingdom to communicate with and learn from each other.
      >I'd also like to see this guild encourage study, teaching and practice of
      >medieval herb uses in the East Kingdom.
      >
      >Anybody else?
    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2000
        > I like the second goal of Jadwiga's:
        > The Herbalists Guild should "encourage study,
        > teaching and practice of
        > medieval herb uses in the East Kingdom."
        > Add onto this, her first:
        > The Herbalists Guild should "serve as a conduit
        > for herbalists in the
        > kingdom to communicate with and learn from each other.
        > And we have the makings of a very nice and useable set of goals. Are
        > there any other suggestions? Might we add something specific
        > regarding teaching others? You know, bring others into the fold?

        That would be useful.
        How's this:

        "The goal of the East Kingdom Herbalist Guild is to encourage study,
        teaching and practice of medieval herb uses in the East Kingdom. The
        Herbalists Guild should serve as a conduit for herbalists in the kingdom
        to communicate with and learn from each other, and to disseminate
        knowledge about medieval use of herbs to others."

        Problem, though: we've left out apothecaries, and I'd like to see them
        included. Does anyone have an objections to the name 'East Kingdom
        Herbalists and Apothecaries Guild'?

        Then we could rewrite the goals to be:

        "The goal of Herbalist Guild is to encourage study, teaching and practice
        of medieval herb uses, as well as study of medieval apothecary and
        pharmacy practice, in the East Kingdom. The Guild should serve as a
        conduit for herbalists and apothecaries in the kingdom to communicate with
        and learn from each other, and to disseminate knowledge about medieval
        herbalism and pharmacy to others."

        disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

        "You do not lead by hitting people over the head -- that's assault,
        not leadership." Dwight D. Eisenhower
      • Aelfwyn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2000
          In a message dated 2/13/00 1:01:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          jenne@... writes:

          << Then we could rewrite the goals to be:

          "The goal of Herbalist Guild is to encourage study, teaching and practice
          of medieval herb uses, as well as study of medieval apothecary and
          pharmacy practice, in the East Kingdom. The Guild should serve as a
          conduit for herbalists and apothecaries in the kingdom to communicate with
          and learn from each other, and to disseminate knowledge about medieval
          herbalism and pharmacy to others."

          Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise jenne@... >>

          I like this one. It gives us a broader definition and more room to learn and
          play.
          Aelfwyn