Medieval Medicine

  • Aelfwyn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2007
      Has anyone else read the Medicine section of Before The Mast; Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose? Wow, and thinking that the barber-surgeon on board was probably one of the top of his profession makes it even scarier. I was able to get a copy via ILL, so they are out there for those of us in that inconvenient impecunious state.
      Aelfwyn

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 7 , May 7, 2007

        Aelfwyn@... wrote:
        Has anyone else read the Medicine section of Before The Mast; Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose? Wow, and thinking that the barber-surgeon on board was probably one of the top of his profession makes it even scarier. I was able to get a copy via ILL, so they are out there for those of us in that inconvenient impecunious state.
        .

        Gentle Aelfwyn,
        my lady and I not only own a copy of "Before The Mast",  - which is a wonderful reference book for late-15th & early-16th C re-enactors; - we are deeply interested in the medical and woodworking side of things, and are developing late-15th C. re-enactment "alternate personas" as a husband & wife "Barber-Surgeon House".
         My Lady is a lifelong working-nurse with particular interests in Casualty Work and Forensic Pathology - so when she was looking for a "medieval persona profession", that of the Barber-Surgeon in late 15th C England seemed like a good choice.
        I have managed to find her enough reproduction medieval instruments for a "field-surgeon's trauma kit",  - which includes a working fleam & bleeding bowl [which latter doubles as a barber's bowl with 2 reproduction razors], bone saw, 2 different bistouries, single & double retractors, 2 different forceps, a probe, needles, 2 different arrow-head removal tools, an electuary spoon, and 3 different-shaped cautery irons.
        My next woodworking projects are to make a replica of the "Mary Rose" Barber-Surgeon's chest - in fact, I already have the boards glued-up in my workshop, awaiting time in my "hobby-production" work schedule to begin the next phase of this project.

        Matthew Baker,
        dwelling in "old" Jersey.

      • Thee Lady Dandi
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2007
          Hello everyone,
            OK is this book name:
          Before The Mast; Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose?

          Sounds likea  book Id love to read...
          thanks
          Lady D.

          Aelfwyn@... wrote:
          Has anyone else read the Medicine section of Before The Mast; Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose? Wow, and thinking that the barber-surgeon on board was probably one of the top of his profession makes it even scarier. I was able to get a copy via ILL, so they are out there for those of us in that inconvenient impecunious state.
          Aelfwyn

          See what's free at AOL.com.

          Bright Blessings

          AiSv NV WA do hi ya do ("Walk In Peace")

          Lady Verdandi Gormsdottir-HouseWolfStar

          Don't pick lemons.
          See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

        • Aelfwyn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 10, 2007
            In a message dated 5/10/2007 04:08:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, theeladydandi@... writes:
            OK is this book name:
            Before The Mast; Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose?
            "Before the Mast; Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose" edited by Julie Gardiner with Michael J. Allen, The Mary Rose Trust 2005, Published by The Mary Rose Trust, Ltd., College Road, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth. England, PO1 3LX, ISBN 0-9544029-4-4.
            This is Volume 4 in the Archeology of the Mary Rose and is available on interlibrary loan thanks to the library of Hampden Sydney College in Virginia.

            See what's free at AOL.com.
          • Ellen Rawson
            Message 5 of 7 , May 10, 2007
              --- Aelfwyn@... wrote:

              > "Before the Mast; Life and Death Aboard the Mary
              > Rose" edited by Julie
              > Gardiner with Michael J. Allen, The Mary Rose Trust
              > 2005, Published by The Mary
              > Rose Trust, Ltd., College Road, HM Naval Base,
              > Portsmouth. England, PO1 3LX,
              > ISBN 0-9544029-4-4.
              > This is Volume 4 in the Archeology of the Mary Rose
              > and is available on
              > interlibrary loan thanks to the library of Hampden
              > Sydney College in Virginia.

              I live less than an hour from Portsmouth and haven't
              been to the Mary Rose in ages. A trip there is
              overdue. If people are wanting to own copies of such
              books... :)

              Ariel, listening to the rain outside watering her
              herbs. Until Sunday night, it had been quite some time
              since we'd really seen any rain here in southern England.

              "Literature stops in 1100. After that, it's just books."
              -- JRR Tolkien
            • Thee Lady Dandi
              Message 6 of 7 , May 10, 2007
                thank you  so much
                Lady  D

                Aelfwyn@... wrote:
                In a message dated 5/10/2007 04:08:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, theeladydandi@ yahoo.com writes:
                OK is this book name:
                Before The Mast; Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose?
                "Before the Mast; Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose" edited by Julie Gardiner with Michael J. Allen, The Mary Rose Trust 2005, Published by The Mary Rose Trust, Ltd., College Road, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth. England, PO1 3LX, ISBN 0-9544029-4- 4.
                This is Volume 4 in the Archeology of the Mary Rose and is available on interlibrary loan thanks to the library of Hampden Sydney College in Virginia.

                See what's free at AOL.com.

                Bright Blessings

                AiSv NV WA do hi ya do ("Walk In Peace")

                Lady Verdandi Gormsdottir-HouseWolfStar

                Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.