Re: Bees: Colony Colapse Disorder

  • Linda Ullman
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2007
      Greetings,
            I thought I'd come out of lurking to post a note on the bee issue that has been debated recently.
      There are several theories as to what is happening to the bees.  Until something more concrete is learned, it's being called Colony Collapse Disorder, and whatever is causing it affects bees like AIDS affects people, and the colonies colapse.

      Some theorize that it's the result of exposure to pollen from genetically modified plants and there's some research to back this one up.  Some say cell phone usage, some say it's the heavier herbicides needed to control transgenic contaminated weeds.  Whatever the case, there is more info here: http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html

      Go read the material for yourselves if you are so inclined.  The one thing I can guarantee is this, it isn't all smoke and mirrors, as I've seen the bee deficit on my own farm. We have plenty of bumble bees, but I've only seen maybe 50 honeybees or so, when I normally see 100's of them by now.

      Just my 10 cents worth,
      Cat
      --
      Linda Ullman