Interesting Find?

  • Joanne Clyde
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2007
      I am mainly a lurker on this list, however his past week I made an
      interesting find. The librarian at the school I work at has been going
      through the stacks and getting rid of books that haven't been checked out in
      a long time...and people are free to take them.

      One of these books is "Herbs for Every Garden" by Gertrude B. Foster.
      Copyright 1966. The inside title page says that Ms. Foster is "Fellow of
      the Royal horticultural society, Member of the Herb Society of America,
      Editor of "The Herb Grower Magazine." I have been reading it and have found
      it to be very interesting.

      I was wondering if anyone else has read this book, and if you think it is a
      good book to keep in my collection. (Being a good SCA-person, I checked the
      back and there are numerous references to other books and herbals includeing
      Culpeper and Dioscorides. But the information in the book isn't directly
      cited.)

      -Geertruyt Robertsdochter

      *Alma 37:6*

      Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.
    • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2007
        > One of these books is "Herbs for Every Garden" by Gertrude B. Foster.
        > Copyright 1966. The inside title page says that Ms. Foster is "Fellow of
        > the Royal horticultural society, Member of the Herb Society of America,
        > Editor of "The Herb Grower Magazine." I have been reading it and have found
        > it to be very interesting.

        Hm... I haven't run across it, at least to my recollection. But if
        you're enjoying it, the best thing to do is note down anything you find
        interesting and cross-check it in another book to see how reliable it
        is. I collect herb books myself, not just period ones.