Pharmacognocy of Herbs - was: An introduction...

  • TMB
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2000
      Greetings Lady Marion. I would love to learn more about the pharmacognosy
      of herbs. I don't have a lot of knowledge, but I would love to discuss.
      One thing I've found lacking in most herbals is this type of information.

      Since most people have no idea how herbs and pharmaceuticals interact and
      they tend to mix the two with such little care that they often do themselves
      more harm than good, this is a topic of interest to me. White willow bark
      for instance, as you are probably aware contains salicylic (sp) acid,
      aspirin contains acetysalicylic (sp) acid, a derivitive I think (?). It
      would be rather imprudent to take an aspirin and wash it down with white
      willow bark tea. Another example is ginger, which is often used for
      motion/morning sickness, it can cause bleeding in someone who is also taking
      blood thinners.

      It would be great to have a discussion on this subject with someone
      knowlegeable in the field of pharmaceuticals who is also an herbalist. I'm
      sure I'll learn a lot<G>!!

      Fionna ni Canonach
      Canton of Gallavalley, Drieburgen, Caid
      www.herbanspice.com