Banya's Mold

  • banavtai
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hello everyone,

      Forgive the cross-posting, but I'm trying to identify the "old
      chronicle ...from the thirteenth century" mentioned in Russian
      Herbalism by Igor Vilevich Zevin pertaining to the discovery in
      Novgorod of "banya's mold" as a cure for infected wounds.

      Zevin has an annoying habit of throwing in such references all
      throught the book without any footnote to the original source. Can
      anyone help fill in the gap(s)?

      TIA,

      Karaznina Semenova vdova Iul'iana
      BMDL, Aethelmearc
      mka
      Juliana Taper
      Pittsburgh, PA
    • LA Judge
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
        Humm - well a banya is a Russian sauna, or sauna type bath (think long
        hot steamy soak). I am wondering if the reference means mold as in
        something that was commonly pressed in a mold & dried then added to
        the baths. In that case I would look at Russian comfrey as the herb
        that you need.

        Just my thoughts -

        Tsura (LA.)

        --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "banavtai" <jtaper1@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > Forgive the cross-posting, but I'm trying to identify the "old
        > chronicle ...from the thirteenth century" mentioned in Russian
        > Herbalism by Igor Vilevich Zevin pertaining to the discovery in
        > Novgorod of "banya's mold" as a cure for infected wounds.
        >
        > Zevin has an annoying habit of throwing in such references all
        > throught the book without any footnote to the original source. Can
        > anyone help fill in the gap(s)?
        >
        > TIA,
        >
        > Karaznina Semenova vdova Iul'iana
        > BMDL, Aethelmearc
        > mka
        > Juliana Taper
        > Pittsburgh, PA

      • Ysabeau
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
          Hmmm...thinking that the sauna/bath would have been made of wood. Since it is very damp, I would think that mold could be found along seams, crevices and corners. Maybe that is it? Penicillin originally was created from mold cultures so it isn't too far off to guess that maybe they scraped the mold off the bathhouse walls and used that to treat infections?

          Just a random guess,
          Ysabeau

          On 4/2/07, LA Judge <nodecaf@...> wrote:

          Humm - well a banya is a Russian sauna, or sauna type bath (think long
          hot steamy soak). I am wondering if the reference means mold as in
          something that was commonly pressed in a mold & dried then added to
          the baths. In that case I would look at Russian comfrey as the herb
          that you need.

          Just my thoughts -

          Tsura (LA.)

          --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "banavtai" <jtaper1@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > Forgive the cross-posting, but I'm trying to identify the "old
          > chronicle ...from the thirteenth century" mentioned in Russian
          > Herbalism by Igor Vilevich Zevin pertaining to the discovery in
          > Novgorod of "banya's mold" as a cure for infected wounds.
          >
          > Zevin has an annoying habit of throwing in such references all
          > throught the book without any footnote to the original source. Can
          > anyone help fill in the gap(s)?
          >
          > TIA,
          >
          > Karaznina Semenova vdova Iul'iana
          > BMDL, Aethelmearc
          > mka
          > Juliana Taper
          > Pittsburgh, PA

        • LA Judge
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
            Possibly. But isn't penicillin the blue-green mold that is found on
            citrus? At least to my understanding that is true.

            Tsura (LA.)

            --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Ysabeau <lady.ysabeau@...> wrote:

            > Hmmm...thinking that the sauna/bath would have been made of wood.
            Since it
            > is very damp, I would think that mold could be found along seams,
            crevices
            > and corners. Maybe that is it? Penicillin originally was created
            from mold
            > cultures so it isn't too far off to guess that maybe they scraped
            the mold
            > off the bathhouse walls and used that to treat infections?
            >
            > Just a random guess,
            > Ysabeau
            >

            > On 4/2/07, LA Judge <nodecaf@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Humm - well a banya is a Russian sauna, or sauna type bath
            (think long
            > > hot steamy soak). I am wondering if the reference means mold as in
            > > something that was commonly pressed in a mold & dried then added to
            > > the baths. In that case I would look at Russian comfrey as the herb
            > > that you need.
            > >
            > > Just my thoughts -
            > >
            > > Tsura (LA.)
            > >
            > > --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
            <SCA-Herbalist%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > > "banavtai" <jtaper1@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello everyone,
            > > >
            > > > Forgive the cross-posting, but I'm trying to identify the "old
            > > > chronicle ...from the thirteenth century" mentioned in Russian
            > > > Herbalism by Igor Vilevich Zevin pertaining to the discovery in
            > > > Novgorod of "banya's mold" as a cure for infected wounds.
            > > >
            > > > Zevin has an annoying habit of throwing in such references all
            > > > throught the book without any footnote to the original source. Can
            > > > anyone help fill in the gap(s)?
            > > >
            > > > TIA,
            > > >
            > > > Karaznina Semenova vdova Iul'iana
            > > > BMDL, Aethelmearc
            > > > mka
            > > > Juliana Taper
            > > > Pittsburgh, PA

          • Marian Walke
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
              LA Judge wrote:
              > Possibly. But isn't penicillin the blue-green mold that is found on
              > citrus? At least to my understanding that is true.

              There are a number of Penicillium species, but as far as I know they are
              not found on citrus. The antibiotic one was originally derived from a
              bread mold, I believe. Others are used in cheese making; my husband,
              who is allergic to penicillin, gets a bad reaction to any blue cheese.

              --Old Marian