RE: [SCA-Herbalist] Elderberries

  • Sydney Walker Freedman
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 1, 2007
      This book might have more information on period sources.
      http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/55192
      Gotta love Oxbow! :)

      Pax Christi,
      Lady Cecilia de Cambrige

      > I have a reference in A Reference Guide to Medicinal Plants by John K.
      > Crellin & Jane Philpott. They reference Gerard saying Galen "saith that
      > it is of a drying quality, gluing and moderately digesting: & it hath
      > not only these faculties, but others also for the barkes, the first
      > buds, flowers and fruit of the elder, do not only drie, but also heat,
      > and have withal a purging qualitie." Gerard (1597 pp. 1233 - 1235).
      >

      > Ceit
      >

      > ________________________________

      Pax Christi,
      Sydney
    • Ro Bourdeau
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1, 2007
        What I really need is a recipe for Elderberry wine (Arsenic and Old Lace, anyone?).

        That movie is a long standing family favorite and my sisters would get a big kick if we did a movie night with almond cookies and elderberry wine (we still get together periodically sans kids and husbands).

        -A'isha

        Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne@...> wrote:
        There's also period recipes for elderflower fritters and elderflowers in
        pie or cheesecake (Sambucade). I can look them up if you'd like-- I keep
        trying to get elderberry bushes to grow someplace where I can use them
        and haven't been successful.

        -- Jadwiga
        .

      • Foster, Laurie E. USNCIV NAVAIR 2272, 3
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
          Hello kind gentles!

          I am doing some research on Digby's "bruise juice" (I know, I know,
          slightly out of period). I'm wanting to give some background on each
          herb he includes and I am having a devil of a time finding anything on
          Ragweed other than the fact that many folks are allergic to it. Does it
          have any redeeming qualities? I'm trying to figure out what made him
          include it if it doesn't.

          Thanks!

          YIS

          Lore Bubeck
        • Sara Glaze
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
            It has no redeming qualities with me...I am highly allergic to it. When they did the RAST test it was in my top 10 : )

            I will check my herbal book though and see if I can find anything for you.

            Sorcah

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
              Thanks!!

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
                No redeeming qualities that I can think of.  It's the most common culprit for hayfever and I think it would be a mistake to include that in a recipe in a day where so many people would suffer.  Best ingredients of choice would be arnica (for pain), yarrow (for bloom dispersement), and calendula (for skin repair).  I'll be doing an herbal apprenticeship this year, so I'll inquire about that.
                Isn't ragweed an american native?

                Ameline

                --
                www.crookedwall.org
                www.bthumbstudios.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
                  Maybe it's a name for something else during that time period (1675)?
                  Anyone? =)

                  laurie.foster@... <mailto:laurie.foster@...> > wrote:

                  Hello kind gentles!

                  I am doing some research on Digby's "bruise juice" (I know, I
                  know,
                  slightly out of period). I'm wanting to give some background on
                  each
                  herb he includes and I am having a devil of a time finding
                  anything on
                  Ragweed other than the fact that many folks are allergic to it.
                  Does it
                  have any redeeming qualities? I'm trying to figure out what made
                  him
                  include it if it doesn't.

                  Thanks!

                  YIS

                  Lore Bubeck

                  --
                  www.crookedwall.org <http://www.crookedwall.org> www.bthumbstudios.com
                  <http://www.bthumbstudios.com>
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
                    Oops, that should have read blood dispersement!

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007

                      You might have better luck looking up Ragwort, it’s the more common name for Ragweed.  I found a nice book written by a couple pharmacists that has a bunch of scientific research and info and sideeffects.  It claims some people use it topically, externally only.  But it is a documented poison in humans and animals, it directly damages the liver, so avoid that.  It has some reference to Bee stings and burns.  I would probably avoid it all together, especially with the number of people that are allergic to it.  No comerical products use it (according to the book).  I don’t have any of my other books around.  Ill look at them later.

                      Brother Varinn

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
                        Foster, Laurie E. USNCIV NAVAIR 2272, 3, 350 wrote:

                        > Hello kind gentles!
                        >
                        > I am doing some research on Digby's "bruise juice" (I know, I know,
                        > slightly out of period). I'm wanting to give some background on each
                        > herb he includes and I am having a devil of a time finding anything on
                        > Ragweed other than the fact that many folks are allergic to it. Does it
                        > have any redeeming qualities? I'm trying to figure out what made him
                        > include it if it doesn't.

                        Ragweed is sometimes listed as an alternate name for ragwort. Ragweed
                        is American; ragwort is European; both are considered weeds, but ragwort
                        (though dangerous if taken internally) is used for external bruises and
                        sores. Perhaps that was the plant that was meant.

                        --Old Marian
                      • Sharon Gordon
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
                          It appears to have a number of medicinal uses. If you go to this database
                          http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html
                          and select Name
                          and then put ragweed in the common name, you will get info on two types of
                          ragweed.

                          Sharon
                          gordonse@...
                        • fnordrick@cox.net
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 23, 2007
                            That site kind of bothers me. It suggests internal use and doesnt even mention that it is a well documented poison. Many an animal has died from liver failure from the plant. Im going to stick with book by the pharmacists and advise against use either internally or externally.

                            Brother Varinn

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 26, 2007
                              Thanks to everyone for all your help on this one. I think I have enough
                              to move forward now.

                              Lore

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 26, 2007
                                I asked my herbalist friend about this, and this was her reply....

                                Ragweed is also known as common tansy.  They are from the same family.  Ragweed and tansy are used as abortiants and to bring on the menses or to start child labor.  They are both poisonous.    Tansy was used for bruises because it increases the blood flow, making the blood come to the surface faster and thus dispersing it, most likely with yarrow or some other herb.  I can only guess that if Tansy was not plentiful, (growing in gardens) the common man could easily find ragweed growing anywhere in field, forest, garden, or along roadsides.

                                Put in that context, it makes a little more sense.  I would still opt to substitute yarrow for ragweed in this recipe.

                                Ameline

                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 26, 2007
                                  Thanks!

                                  <mailto:SCA-Herbalist%40yahoogroups.com>

                                  It appears to have a number of medicinal uses. If you go to this
                                  database http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html
                                  <http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html>
                                  <http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html
                                  <http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html> >
                                  and select Name
                                  and then put ragweed in the common name, you will get info on
                                  two types
                                  of ragweed.

                                  Sharon
                                  gordonse@... <mailto:gordonse%40one.net> <mailto: gordonse%