RE: [SCA-Herbalist] Elderberries

  • Rickard, Patty
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 28 11:30 AM

      I have a reference in A Reference Guide to Medicinal Plants by John K. Crellin & Jane Philpott. They reference Gerard saying Galen ”saith that it is of a drying quality, gluing and moderately digesting: & it hath not only these faculties, but others also for the barkes, the first buds, flowers and fruit of the elder, do not only drie, but also heat, and have withal a purging qualitie.” Gerard (1597 pp. 1233 – 1235).

      Ceit

      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 28 11:31 AM
        On 2/28/07, Aelfwyn@... <Aelfwyn@...> wrote:

        > I hope to have enough blossoms this year to try some of the yummy uses for them. But for now what is driving me nuts are all the herbal "health" sites that I am finding that blithely say that elderberries were used as remedies in medieval times, but then DON'T give a medieval text reference! Argh!

        Is a secondary reference ok? :)

        "The name Sambucus is derived from an erroneous tenth-century
        Anglo-Saxon translation of the "Herbarium of Apuleius", a work written
        in the fourth century spuriously attributed to the second century
        Roman philosopher and poet. In chapter cxlviii the translator
        misidentified a Greek word of Coptic origin as the elder which was
        adopted by ante-Linnaean botanists and perpetuated to this day."

        Gerard, W. R. 1895. Origin of the name Sambucus Gard. & Forest 8: 368.

        Reference link:

        http://nymf.bbg.org/profile_species_nt.asp?id=256

        Another link showing recorded archaeological sites where sambucus
        nigra (elderberries) were found:

        http://intarch.ac.uk/journal/issue1/tomlinson/scripts/abcd.cfm?taxa=cf.+Sambucus+nigra&action=rec

        HTH,

        Aquilina
      • Lori Hannis
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 28 11:44 AM
          Try...on heck..

          Judes home herbal healing or something to that effect
          it has a really cool little bit in it about some herbs used in medieval times
          AND she gives referances, i believe
          it's been a while since i've read the book
          b ut it used to be almost my bible

          Emeline

          Aelfwyn@... wrote:
          I hope to have enough blossoms this year to try some of the yummy uses for them. But for now what is driving me nuts are all the herbal "health" sites that I am finding that blithely say that elderberries were used as remedies in medieval times, but then DON'T give a medieval text reference! Argh! I guess I can extrapolate that since the flowers were known and used (which I can prove with the recipes) and there are myths about the bush and so many references to the use of the berry syrup as a "medieval remedy", then it was probably used in our period. But I sure would like ONE actual period textual reference. Sigh.
          Aelfwyn

          "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

          8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

        • Aelfwyn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 28 12:12 PM
            In a message dated 2/28/2007 02:37:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, rickarpa@... writes:
            Gerard (1597 pp. 1233 – 1235).
            Excellent, thank you!
            Aelfwyn

          • Aelfwyn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 28 12:13 PM
              In a message dated 2/28/2007 02:53:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, randgrithr@... writes:
              Gerard, W. R. 1895. Origin of the name Sambucus Gard. & Forest 8: 368.
              Wonderful, thank you!
              Aelfwyn

            • Marian Walke
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 28 12:41 PM
                Aelfwyn@... wrote:
                > But for now what is driving me nuts are all the herbal
                > "health" sites that I am finding that blithely say that elderberries
                > were used as remedies in medieval times, but then DON'T give a medieval
                > text reference! Argh!

                The elder (Sambucus) is mentioned by Hildegard von Bingen (1150),
                Albertus Magnus (1260), and William Turner (1538) among others.
                Unfortunately, a lot of my books are still in storage, so I can't now
                give you page numbers. However, I do have handy a copy of Robert
                Turner's The British Physician, or the Nature and Vertue of English
                Plants (1664), pp 108-109. Although a little out of period, perhaps
                this will help relieve your frustration:

                Names.] The common Elder Tree is called in Latine Sambucus, the dwarf
                Elder, Humilis Sambucus, and Ebulus; and in English is known by the
                names of Walwort, Danewort, and Dwarf Elder.

                Place and Time.] There is scarce a Town or Village, but the common
                Elder grows in its Hedges; the Dwarf Elder grows wilde in many places of
                England, particularly in the grounds of Mr. Hind at Hedfor in
                Buckinghamshire. The Elder flowers in June, the fruit is usually ripe in
                August; the Dwarf Elder is somewhat later.

                Nature and Vertues.] Elder is hot and dry in the second and third
                degree, the Danewort something hotter, both under Mars; it is profitable
                for the Dropsie, and to remove watry humours between the skin and the
                flesh; the young buds boiled in broth purges Phlegm and Choller; the
                inner bark is commended for the yellow Jaundies; medicines prepared of
                the bark opens obstructions: six drops of the Spirit of Elder salt taken
                in broth is good in the Scurvy. The decoction of the root in wine cures
                the bitings of venomous Beasts, and mad Dogs, mollifies hardness of the
                Mother, opens the Veins, and provokes the Terms, the berries work the
                same effects, the juyce of the green leaves helps inflammations of the
                Eyes: there is hardly a disease from the head to the foot but Elder is
                effectual for it; it is good for Melancholly, Madness, the Falling
                Sickness, Palsie, Apoplexy, Catharrs, Tooth-ache, Deafness, diseases of
                the Lungs, Mouth, and Throat, Hoarseness, Ptisick, sore Breasts,
                swoonings and Faintings, Gout, Worms, Stone, Plague, Pox, Measles, and
                diseases of the Stomach, Cum multis aliis, &c.
                The Dwarf Elder is stronger than the other, for all the said
                purposes, and hath besides particular vertues, viz. the juyce of the
                root cures the Kings Evil and Quinzy, being applyed to the Throat, and
                being put into the Fundament stayes it from falling down. The root
                being steeped in Wine all night, helps Agues, a dram of the seeds in
                powder with a little cinamon taken in the decoction of ground Pine, is
                good against the French Disease, Gout, Sciatica, and joynt Aches, by
                drwing away peccant humours: An Oyntment made of the green leaves with
                May Butter, mollifies starkness of the nerves and Sinews, and remedies
                outward Pains, Aches, Cramps, and Lameness.

                Potent stuff, those elderberries!

                --Old Marian
              • Lila Richards
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 28 7:39 PM
                  Emily Groner wrote:
                  > I would be hard pressed to decide what to use my elderbierry bushes
                  > for! The smell is to die for when they are blooming! I can imagine a
                  > honey from it! Then there are the uses for the blossoms...potpourri,
                  > dream pillows, and tea. Then there are the berries; jam, jelly, in
                  > muffins and bread and as a juice or syrup. A very practical plant!

                  According to Nicholas Culpeper, you can also use an infusion of the bark to darken hair.

                  Sinech

                  An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil - The Truth Against the World
                • Sydney Walker Freedman
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 1, 2007
                    This book might have more information on period sources.
                    http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/55192
                    Gotta love Oxbow! :)

                    Pax Christi,
                    Lady Cecilia de Cambrige

                    > I have a reference in A Reference Guide to Medicinal Plants by John K.
                    > Crellin & Jane Philpott. They reference Gerard saying Galen "saith that
                    > it is of a drying quality, gluing and moderately digesting: & it hath
                    > not only these faculties, but others also for the barkes, the first
                    > buds, flowers and fruit of the elder, do not only drie, but also heat,
                    > and have withal a purging qualitie." Gerard (1597 pp. 1233 - 1235).
                    >

                    > Ceit
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                    Pax Christi,
                    Sydney
                  • Ro Bourdeau
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 1, 2007
                      What I really need is a recipe for Elderberry wine (Arsenic and Old Lace, anyone?).

                      That movie is a long standing family favorite and my sisters would get a big kick if we did a movie night with almond cookies and elderberry wine (we still get together periodically sans kids and husbands).

                      -A'isha

                      Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne@...> wrote:
                      There's also period recipes for elderflower fritters and elderflowers in
                      pie or cheesecake (Sambucade). I can look them up if you'd like-- I keep
                      trying to get elderberry bushes to grow someplace where I can use them
                      and haven't been successful.

                      -- Jadwiga
                      .

                    • Foster, Laurie E. USNCIV NAVAIR 2272, 3
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
                        Hello kind gentles!

                        I am doing some research on Digby's "bruise juice" (I know, I know,
                        slightly out of period). I'm wanting to give some background on each
                        herb he includes and I am having a devil of a time finding anything on
                        Ragweed other than the fact that many folks are allergic to it. Does it
                        have any redeeming qualities? I'm trying to figure out what made him
                        include it if it doesn't.

                        Thanks!

                        YIS

                        Lore Bubeck
                      • Sara Glaze
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
                          It has no redeming qualities with me...I am highly allergic to it. When they did the RAST test it was in my top 10 : )

                          I will check my herbal book though and see if I can find anything for you.

                          Sorcah

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
                            Thanks!!

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
                              No redeeming qualities that I can think of.  It's the most common culprit for hayfever and I think it would be a mistake to include that in a recipe in a day where so many people would suffer.  Best ingredients of choice would be arnica (for pain), yarrow (for bloom dispersement), and calendula (for skin repair).  I'll be doing an herbal apprenticeship this year, so I'll inquire about that.
                              Isn't ragweed an american native?

                              Ameline

                              --
                              www.crookedwall.org
                              www.bthumbstudios.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
                                Maybe it's a name for something else during that time period (1675)?
                                Anyone? =)

                                laurie.foster@... <mailto:laurie.foster@...> > wrote:

                                Hello kind gentles!

                                I am doing some research on Digby's "bruise juice" (I know, I
                                know,
                                slightly out of period). I'm wanting to give some background on
                                each
                                herb he includes and I am having a devil of a time finding
                                anything on
                                Ragweed other than the fact that many folks are allergic to it.
                                Does it
                                have any redeeming qualities? I'm trying to figure out what made
                                him
                                include it if it doesn't.

                                Thanks!

                                YIS

                                Lore Bubeck

                                --
                                www.crookedwall.org <http://www.crookedwall.org> www.bthumbstudios.com
                                <http://www.bthumbstudios.com>
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
                                  Oops, that should have read blood dispersement!

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007

                                    You might have better luck looking up Ragwort, it’s the more common name for Ragweed.  I found a nice book written by a couple pharmacists that has a bunch of scientific research and info and sideeffects.  It claims some people use it topically, externally only.  But it is a documented poison in humans and animals, it directly damages the liver, so avoid that.  It has some reference to Bee stings and burns.  I would probably avoid it all together, especially with the number of people that are allergic to it.  No comerical products use it (according to the book).  I don’t have any of my other books around.  Ill look at them later.

                                    Brother Varinn

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
                                      Foster, Laurie E. USNCIV NAVAIR 2272, 3, 350 wrote:

                                      > Hello kind gentles!
                                      >
                                      > I am doing some research on Digby's "bruise juice" (I know, I know,
                                      > slightly out of period). I'm wanting to give some background on each
                                      > herb he includes and I am having a devil of a time finding anything on
                                      > Ragweed other than the fact that many folks are allergic to it. Does it
                                      > have any redeeming qualities? I'm trying to figure out what made him
                                      > include it if it doesn't.

                                      Ragweed is sometimes listed as an alternate name for ragwort. Ragweed
                                      is American; ragwort is European; both are considered weeds, but ragwort
                                      (though dangerous if taken internally) is used for external bruises and
                                      sores. Perhaps that was the plant that was meant.

                                      --Old Marian
                                    • Sharon Gordon
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 22, 2007
                                        It appears to have a number of medicinal uses. If you go to this database
                                        http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html
                                        and select Name
                                        and then put ragweed in the common name, you will get info on two types of
                                        ragweed.

                                        Sharon
                                        gordonse@...
                                      • fnordrick@cox.net
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 23, 2007
                                          That site kind of bothers me. It suggests internal use and doesnt even mention that it is a well documented poison. Many an animal has died from liver failure from the plant. Im going to stick with book by the pharmacists and advise against use either internally or externally.

                                          Brother Varinn

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 26, 2007
                                            Thanks to everyone for all your help on this one. I think I have enough
                                            to move forward now.

                                            Lore

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 26, 2007
                                              I asked my herbalist friend about this, and this was her reply....

                                              Ragweed is also known as common tansy.  They are from the same family.  Ragweed and tansy are used as abortiants and to bring on the menses or to start child labor.  They are both poisonous.    Tansy was used for bruises because it increases the blood flow, making the blood come to the surface faster and thus dispersing it, most likely with yarrow or some other herb.  I can only guess that if Tansy was not plentiful, (growing in gardens) the common man could easily find ragweed growing anywhere in field, forest, garden, or along roadsides.

                                              Put in that context, it makes a little more sense.  I would still opt to substitute yarrow for ragweed in this recipe.

                                              Ameline

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 26, 2007
                                                Thanks!

                                                <mailto:SCA-Herbalist%40yahoogroups.com>

                                                It appears to have a number of medicinal uses. If you go to this
                                                database http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html
                                                <http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html>
                                                <http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html
                                                <http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html> >
                                                and select Name
                                                and then put ragweed in the common name, you will get info on
                                                two types
                                                of ragweed.

                                                Sharon
                                                gordonse@... <mailto:gordonse%40one.net> <mailto: gordonse%