is this historical?

  • hillwizard2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006

      I Repeat, I never heard of the "Herbalist's Charter" before the Internet.  Does anyone know if it is real?

      My Lady, your post states "Among the Laws of England so adopted is the Herbalist's Charter, an Act of Henry the Eighth" it also states it is "the same issues which the Act of Parliament addressed."  Which is it, I do not believe they are the same, or am I wrong?
      "common law" is also being misused here common laws are based on tradition and custom. when it becomes codified it is statutory law.  And by the way to be covered under "The Herbalist's Charter" you would have to provide your services for free, for it states  "but have ministered the same to poor People only for Neighborhood and God's sake, and of Pity and Charity:"

      Mike the Hillwizard

      The muskrat was taken to the Humane Society, where it had to be euphemized for its own good.

      In a message dated 11/19/2006 12:06:34 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, cageytlc@... writes:
      Let's not try to redefine the term the way we like, shall we?  The Herbalist's Charter, from 1543 CE, clearly indicates that an Herbalist is a healer, not a chef.  And it delineates surgeons from herbalists

    • McIsaac & Capnerhurst
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
        Oh, good gravy.  Look up the links.  The "Master Herbalist" degree in both Canada and the UK is based on the Charter.  The copy of the original document itself is here. http://www.freedomofchoiceinhealthcare.ca/Legal-Actions/legalaction3.html   It is referenced in several books, including "Earth Mother Herbal" by Shatoiya de la Tour, pgs. 13 and 20, whom I've referenced in this thread before.  The entire historical account of it's creation is here.  http://www.herbalgram.org/wholefoodsmarket/herbalgram/articleview.asp?a=546  The references are from books and documents reprinted below.

        REFERENCES

        (1.) Sloane ms 1047 (BM), cited Blaxland Stubbs, "Henry VIII and Pharmacy: Part I", The Chemist and Druggist, 27 June 1931, p. 794.

        (2.) LaWall, p 210.

        (3.) Sloane ms 1047, op. cit.

        (4.) Walpole, Correspondence with the Rev. William Cole (ed. Lewis and Wallace), p. 332.

        (5.) Gerard, Herbal, cited Grieve, p. 828.

        (6.) Ibid, pp. 525-6.

        (7.) Preface to the Grete Herball, printed Peter Treveris 1526, cited Rohde, pp. 68-9.

        (8.) Gerard, Herbal, "To the Reader".

        (9.) Ibid, pp. 525-6.

        (10.) La Wall, pp. 227-230.

        (11.) Gerard, Herbal, "To the Reader".

        (12.) Fuchs, De Historia Stirpium, preface, cited Arber, Herbals, p. 67.

        (13.) Turner, A New Herball, preface.

        (14.) Ibid.

        (15.) Rosebury, Misrobes and Morals, p. 171.

        (16.) Letters and Papers of the Reign of Henry VIII, 2, pt. 11, 4450.

        (17.) Letters and Papers of the Reign of Henry VIII, 2nd Ed. xvii, 1255, cited Roberts, "The Personnel and Practice of Medicine in Tudor and Stuart England: Part II, London" MH, 1962, VI, p. 223.

        (18.) Statutes of the Realm, 34-35, Henry VIII, c 8.

        (19.) Grieve, p. 820.

        (20.) Goodall, An Historical Account, etc. p. 316. ff.21.. ibid. pp. 317-8.

        (22.) Ibid, pp. 320-1.

        Do your homework.  Just because you haven't heard of it before does not mean anything.

        Treasach

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006

          My Lady, raising your voice does not prove your point. the picture shown at the site is not an original document.  Ms. la Tour may be a fine lady, but the book was written in 2002 and has not stood the test of time.
          Master Herbalist Degrees are offered many places on the net,  Some or much better then others.  You can get a very pretty one from the Mad Cow Farm [MadCowFarm@...] for $50.00.  It comes on very expensive paper

          Mike the Hillwizard

          vini, vidi, cenavi crustulum.

          In a message dated 11/19/2006 3:37:58 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, cageytlc@... writes:
          Oh, good gravy.  Look up the links.  The "Master Herbalist" degree in both Canada and the UK is based on the Charter.  The copy of the original document itself is here. http://www.freedomo fchoiceinhealthc are.ca/Legal- Actions/legalact ion3.html   It is referenced in several books, including "Earth Mother Herbal" by Shatoiya de la Tour
        • The Blade Alchemist
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
            Allow me to put this matter to rest, lest we bicker and bicker with no end.
            A wrap shot is SOOOOOOOOO much better than a thrust, off topic I know, but hopefully it will distract everyone long enough.
            Thank you,
            William.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
              Um... The book may have been written recently, but she has been a practicing herbalist for over 30 years, establishing world renown herb farms and practices.  This is just a culmination of her learning, only recently presented for our perusal.  And that was only one reference.  Anyone who claims to be an herbalist of any stripe I expect not to have to spoon-fed data to...

              Master Herbalist degrees may be offered on the Net in many places, but so are PhD's.  Are you suggesting that a degree is null and void because of unscrupulous con artists who sell idiots fake pieces of paper?  There have always been such, even in medieval times.  It's very period.  So everyone with a Doctorate should just never bother, right?  If I can buy one for a few hundred dollars...  The MH degrees I was discussing come under the auspices of accredited institutions, and legally, under the Herbalist's Charter.  Like Wild Rose in Alberta.  You may find it easier if you look under the Quack's Charter, which is what the opposition called it.

              I have provided more than enough research for this topic to those who wish to look it up, and I have no desire to continue with someone who is just being obstinate.  I loathe repeating myself.

              And that is sooo not raising my voice.

              Trey

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 20, 2006
                Ick!  Fighters!  I didn't know there were any fighters in here?  Who gave them leave to speak?

                Trey

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 20, 2006
                  Fighters????? Fighters???? I be only one fighter. :)

                  At least I am not sitting here in the list preaching about the medical applications of herbs on the battle front.
                  Personally, bath crystals are nice but flaming hot water seems to get the kink out of those sore, brusied muscles just nicely. Rosehips, Eucalyptus and Chamomile make a good base for baths. Though I am unsure in what quantities you mix them and they are not the sole ingrediants so dont try this at home without first doing research.

                  William
                • Shanalee C Hollingshead
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 20, 2006
                    "A wrap shot is SOOOOOOOOO much better than a thrust"

                    I don't know, you have to actually step into the wrap to block it effectively.  It just feels funny to step into a shot to block it.  If you don't, you're probably going to have a need for a good bruise salve.  I have seen some good recipes for such salves here though.
                    Elysant
                  • The Blade Alchemist

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 20, 2006
                        In a message dated 11/20/2006 9:13:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, BladeAlchemist@... writes:
                        but flaming hot water seems to get the kink out of those sore, brusied muscles just nicely.
                        A poultice for Sir William

                        Take one hand full of dried yarrow and wormwood.  Soak in hot wine. [not water] Apply while still hot to the bruise and cover with a clean cloth

                        Mike the Hillwizard

                        vini, vidi, cenavi crustulum.