RE: [SCA-Herbalist] Persona for a Medieval Herbalist

  • King's Taste Productions
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 11, 2006

      Ok, I thought I’d pick out a few of the questions for our fictional herbalist and throw out som

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

    • Stephanie Ross
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 16, 2006
        Linda wrote:
        <<My first mission is to find myself an Anglo Saxon 11th Century name that
        is not too difficult to pronounce or spell. I have been to a few places on
        the net and alas, many of the names just seem to complicated for me at this
        point.>>

        Try these links for lists of Saxon names. Back in the days of Saxon England
        (pre-1066), most names would have consisted of a first name and either a
        locative name (where you were from), a descriptor (goldenhair), or what you
        did for a living (Miller). It makes it easy in that you can be Emma of
        Wessex, Emma the Ravenhaired, or Emma Gimmwyrhta (gem-worker; jeweler).
        Start here:
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/general.shtml
        Then look here:
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/engoldenglish.shtml
        Both of these are useful too:
        http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/reaneyintro.html
        http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/british1000/british1000.html

        Then I suggest you consult with a herald so that they can find out the
        proper spelling and wordforms for your name. Even if you want "Emma the
        herbalist" translated into "Saxon", I suggest asking a herald at your local
        meeting. There is an internet list the herald can ask questions of so that
        your name will be medieval and accurate. My name I chose 25 years ago, and
        now that I know a lot more about how naming was done, I am embarrassed
        about mine and plan to change it. I have been studying Saxon names quite a
        bit lately as my persona is an expatriate Saxon living in Scotland after
        the Conquest. My name right now is Aislinn Columba of Carlisle, with the
        Carlisle part being the only word that is period *sigh*. Aislinn is only as
        old as the turn of the last century, and is pronounced Ashley, not
        Ace-lynn, which is how I pronounced it when I was a newbie. I will be
        submitting the name of �scwynne of Boda's Hamm (put into proper Old English
        declensions and not the modern English I just wrote). �scwynne is
        pronounced ash-win and is close enough to Aislinn to make me happy. I hope
        this helps to find a name that makes you happy. Write me privately anytime
        if you have questions.

        Aislinn, who studies to be a naming herald
        Et si omnes ego non.

        "The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
        first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
        Maryland Republicans, 1809.