Speaking of Rosemary

  • woodchuckalpha1@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
       Speaking of rosemary, I live in the cold north of Michigan, on the Wisconsin border.  I have YET to be able to keep the plant alive, indoors or out.  I know that it needs a warmer clime to survive, and our winters can be cruel. However, I just can't keep a plant going indoors, either.  Suggestions?>

      Marthe Andreasdottir

      **************************************
      "We are God's children, and if we ever got that through our heads thoroughly and understood that completely, we would never do a small thing, we could never say a cross word. We would not use bad language. We would not criticize anybody. We would love everyone the way the Savior loves us."
      Marjorie Pay Hinckley

    • Rickard, Patty
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006

        Have you tried a pebble tray & misting? I think it mostly likes to be humid, but can’t stand wet feet. (Think moist Mediterranean hillsides.) + as much light as you can give it.

        Ceit

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
          Hi There,
          Where I live, rosemary grows all over the place. We have very little
          top soil, and clay underneath; though it is alkaline, which rosemary
          likes. The maximum temperature in winter is supposed to be 16C (which
          I don't believe) and the miniumum is -4 (which I do!) We are in a
          permanent drought, which means the rosemary only ever gets water on
          the rare occasions it rains. In fact, it's one of about two garden
          plants that survive the summer happily.
          You might find your rosemary does best in the "worst" part of the
          garden. I did have one die of cold, but it was only about 10cm tall. I
          bought another, about twice the size, put it in a pot with a bit of
          straw for insulation, and haven't had a problem.
          I'm really not much of a gardener, but maybe it would work if you keep
          it in a pot that can be bought indoors at night, but can be kept in
          some greenhouse type arrangement during the sunny part of the day. If
          you get sun, that is. :)
          Good luck with it, you'll be a popular person when you get it figured
          out :)
          Rosie

          > Speaking of rosemary, I live in the cold north of Michigan, on the
          Wisconsin border. I have YET to be able to keep the plant alive,
          indoors or out. I know that it needs a warmer clime to survive, and
          our winters can be cruel. However, I just can't keep a plant going
          indoors, either. Suggestions?
        • Jo Anne Fatherly
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
            If you master this one, we will all worship at your feet.

            I DID know of one person this far north that had a healthy rosemary
            -- she had planted it right where her dryer vent came out! While that
            might work for New York, I really don't think it's enough for the UP.
            (Are you near Ironwood? Friends there.)

            Johanna

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
              Thanks so much for your advice! I'm going to try making my own soil mixture in a terrarium and see how that works.  Marthe

              2a. Re: Speaking of Rosemary
                  Posted by: "Rosie" Rosie_0801@... rosie_0801
                  Date: Tue Oct 3, 2006 5:26 pm (PDT)

              Hi There,
[...]

              I will truly be thankful if this works out!  And I'll let one and all know if it does.
              I live about 90 miles east of Ironwood, but work about 90 miles north and west in Marquette.
              Marthe
              2b. Re: Speaking of Rosemary
                  Posted by: "Jo Anne Fatherly" joanne@... newbrg