My apologies

  • Anwen Dutson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2006
      It has been pointed out to me off-list that the purpose of this list is to discuss herbalism only as it applies to the SCA and that my opinions of allopathic medicine are not welcome here. I apologize to everyone here if I came across as "preaching". It is one of the problems with communicating via the written word, that some phrases come across in ways other than what is meant by the author.

      Having been the victim (as well as the relative and friend of others who also were) of several misdiagnoses by allopathic doctors, and angered by the information I have since discovered, I find myself speaking out believing others will be glad to hear, and angered by, what I have found in my research and education. I was wrong and I apologize.

      It was not my intention to flame anyone here, but to inform. To all members of this list, however, please do not contact me off-list if your intentions are only to attack me. However, if you are truly interested in
      discussing natural medicine with me, please do contact me off-list.

      Sincerely,

      Grannee

    • McIsaac & Capnerhurst
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2006
        I don't think you were wrong at all.  I think re-creationism directly implies a respect as well as a knowledge our ancestors lives.  Herbalism and natural medicine are a part of that.  Western conventional meds have only been around for a couple hundred years at best, and I believe it many inherent flaws, compared the refining and honing of centuries of herbology.

        Saying anything against 'modern' medicine today amounts to heresy, and for some reason, really gets folks dander up.  If someone had expressed their opinion on, say , the inferiority of modern mortar techniques compared to the ancient Celts for example, there wouldn't be nearly the flack.  It would just be their opinion, and perfectly appropriate to an SCA list.  But dare to comment on iotagenic deaths due to modern medical mistakes or pharmaceuticals, and you are flamed to a crisp.

        Harp away, Grannie. You are both the past and the future  And really, isn't that one of the reasons recreationism exists?  To preserve not just the techniques, but the attitudes of the past?  Like a living library.  If we ever need them again.  And in the case of modern 'evidence based' medicine, an infusion of the respect of old wisdom is just what the doctor ordered.

        Treasach

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2006
          I TOTALLY agree. I think that one of the natural assumptions the
          members of the list operate under is that we have an interest in
          medicinal and/or culinery herbs, both historic and currently used.
          Recreationism is the bridge between the then and the now, and there is
          a lot of valuable information that could be shared by members that is
          more relative to the current knowledge of herbology.

          At the same time, modern herbal and holistic medicine do not fall
          within the outline of the Charter for the Herbalist's Guild, so I can
          understand that there may be some who would be voicing concerns of
          corruption of the original purpose of this list. Might it be possible
          for someone to begin an herbalist list (or recommend one from those
          already in existance) where we could discuss the more modern
          approaches to herbal and alternative medicine while still relating to
          the early lore?

          Nuinwen