Chafing and other maladies

  • Joanne Clyde
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 2, 2006
      My hubby was recently asked to be the Assistant Scout Leader for our
      church's scout troop...and just in time for the weekend 50 mile round trip
      bike trip (with camping overnight). He just came back and is on the couch
      with a fever, sore muscles, and a really bad case of chafing. I think the
      fever is from over-exertion, so I have him drinking lots of fluids and
      watching TV. The sore muscles we can handle as he's a stick-jock. But the
      chafing I have no idea what to do for. He's showered and we put "Gold Bond"
      powder on the areas but he says it stings really bad and wants me to come up
      with something else to help.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks!

      Geertruyt
    • King's Taste Productions
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 2, 2006

        Straight corn starch.  Gold bond has some menthol in it, which is why it stings.

        You know, cucumber slices as a poultice take swelling out from under the eyes, if there are large swollen areas, you might give that a try.

      • hillwizard2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 2, 2006
          In a message dated 9/2/2006 3:13:28 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, jmknoppe@... writes:
          But the
          chafing I have no idea what to do for. He's showered and we put "Gold Bond"
          powder on the areas but he says it stings really bad and wants me to come up
          with something else to help.

          Any suggestions?

          get some zinc ointment like Desitin,  The same thing you use on babys

          Mike the Hillwizard

          It's better to aim your spear at the moon and hit only a rock then to toss your pipe bomb at a cat and hit your uncle Mel's Winnebago
        • Nicole Young
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 2, 2006

            Hello there.

            One of my favorites is Witch Hazel... it is great on chafing, bites, sunburns and bruises... I also use it as a toner on my face... it should help your husband's swelling to come down too (it is the main ingredient in Preparation H by the way)

            Nicole.

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 2, 2006
              We used to mix vaseline & corn starch for my son's diaper rash - messy, but it worked like a charm - smelled good, too if you spring for the baby powder scented vaseline in the baby stuff aisle.

              Ceit

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                She is talking an ailing hubby here. All the suggestions will most likely help his symptoms, but my money is on the prescribed "wuzza wuzzas" as having the most curative powers.
                Aelfwyn
                Married 26 years in October
              • Apollonia de Avena
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                  It sounds like heat rash.  The cornstarch will do ok, but I would suggest the zinc cream.  You need not only a drying agent but a water barrier (to prevent more sweat from causing more rash--and cornstarch alone will just cake up and cause more problems).  I wouldn't suggest vaseline (or any product with it) because the petroleum will heat up when he does and cause more burn (think of cooking).
                  Yeast infections can look like rashes and chafing too (and can be a side effect of cornstarch--its food for the yeasties), so have him eat a lot of yogurt (with active cultures) or take acidophilis pills (neither of these will hurt anything if he doesn't have yeast).
                  Apollonia (RN in mundanity)

                  Joanne Clyde <jmknoppe@...> wrote:
                  My hubby was recently asked to be the Assistant Scout Leader for our
                  church's scout troop...and just in time for the weekend 50 mile round trip
                  bike trip (with camping overnight). He just came back and is on the couch
                  with a fever, sore muscles, and a really bad case of chafing. I think the
                  fever is from over-exertion, so I have him drinking lots of fluids and
                  watching TV. The sore muscles we can handle as he's a stick-jock. But the
                  chafing I have no idea what to do for. He's showered and we put "Gold Bond"
                  powder on the areas but he says it stings really bad and wants me to come up
                  with something else to help.

                  Any suggestions?

                  Thanks!

                  Geertruyt

                • Anwen Dutson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                    Aelfwyn@... wrote:
                     my money is on the prescribed "wuzza wuzzas" as having the most curative powers.
                    Only if you don't have a problem with poisoning yourself. First of all one should never put on their skin that which they would not put in their mouths. The skin absorbs what is put on it, which ends up in the blood stream. Herbal remedies are always the most gentle way to go and while it does sometimes take a little longer for them to take effect than an allopathic treatment, in the end, they are also (if properly prepared and given in the correct dosage, as any medicine should be) the safest way to go. I have very little faith in allopathic medicine myself, (based on personal experience and research) and would turn to it only in cases of broken bones or severe trauma.

                    We all know (at least I  hope we here do!) that many times, the so-called "modern" medicines, while curing one malady, will cause five other worse ones than the original, in their side effects. All one has to do is listen closely to some of the television commercials out there. Would you take Prilosec or one of the other prescribed cures for your chronic heartburn, knowing that there is an array of side effects that are far worse than the heartburn itself? I expect that most of you here also know that "acid indigestion" does not mean the stomach is producing too much acid, but rather the opposite. The duodonum is not going to open until the food is properly broken down in the stomach and the stomach is not going to do that without enough hydrochloric acid in it to get the job done. Baking soda is not the trick, either, as it upsets the stomach's natural pH balance. I'm expecting you all know the simple answer to this easy question.

                    If it wasn't for herbalism, none of us would be having this discussion today. Our ancestors survived their harsh lives because they were willing to slip out back and cut an herb they knew through handed-down information that a tea, an infusion, a tincture, poultice, or salve from it would cure what was ailing them or theirs, and not because they prayed to the correct diety of the time. We're SCA here, we must be aware of this.

                    Everytime some misinformed soul tries to tell me that "modern" medicine is far better than natural medicine, I suggest - as I am doing now - to pick up a copy of "When Healing Becomes a Crime". You can get a used copy from Amazon for about $12. It tells the story of the Hoxsey cancer cures that were for decades ridiculed by the JAMA, the AMA, and the FDA as being fraudulent, and have since been proven to actually work. It will make you very angry.

                    I hope you all realize that I'm not saying all of this to pick on one individual, but because this is so important to us all that I want you to get out there and read everything you can on natural medicine and not to just dabble in it.

                    OK. I'm done.

                    ~Grannee Annie

                  • McIsaac & Capnerhurst
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                      The cornstarch has the serious issue of exacerbating the problem if it is at all bacteria based.  Cornstarch is bacteria food.  Use a neutral powder if you must use one.  Baby powder is totally inert, if it has no cornstarch component.  Pure talc is best.  It's just ground rock.

                      I always treat such things as bacterial, so it would be tea tree oil or GLS in an water base.  Then pat dry.  The yogurt thing is fine, as long as it's real yogurt with guaranteed acidophilus.  Otherwise, just get it in pill form.  Candida yeast and other bacteria on the skin don't erupt from nothing. They have internal components.  And it'll certainly boast his immune response in general, as acidophilus is vital part of the body's immune system.

                      Treasach
                      (Traditionally apprenticed trained healer in mundanity)

                      It sounds like heat rash.  The cornstarch will do ok, but I would suggest the zinc cream.  You need not only a drying agent but a water barrier (to prevent more sweat from causing more rash--and cornstarch alone will just cake up and cause more problems).  I wouldn't suggest vaseline (or any product with it) because the petroleum will heat up when he does and cause more burn (think of cooking).
                      Yeast infections can look like rashes and chafing too (and can be a side effect of cornstarch-- its food for the yeasties), so have him eat a lot of yogurt (with active cultures) or take acidophilis pills (neither of these will hurt anything if he doesn't have yeast).
                      Apollonia (RN in mundanity)
                      .

                    • McIsaac & Capnerhurst
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                        That should be GSE.  Grapefruit seed extract.

                        My computer switched the acronym.  Heh.

                        Trey
                        I always treat such things as bacterial, so it would be tea tree oil or GLS in an water base.  Then pat dry.  The yogurt thing is fine, as long as it's real yogurt with guaranteed acidophilus.  Otherwise, just get it in pill form.  Candida yeast and other bacteria on the skin don't erupt from nothing. They have internal components.  And it'll certainly boast his immune response in general, as acidophilus is vital part of the body's immune system.

                        Treasach
                        (Traditionally apprenticed trained healer in mundanity)

                        Yeah, Grannie!
                      • Sara Glaze
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                          Sounds weird but there is a fix before it starts. We ladies down here in Trimaris where average temps at the event this weekend were in the low 90's. You roll deoderant on your thighs. I have been doing this for a couple of years and have never chaffed. It will also work if you are breaking in new boots and don't want blister. Roll the deoderant on your feet. I use "Secret Solid" but I am sure about anything would work. I would hesitate to apply it to any where were the skin is already broken.

                          I am also alergic to Corn so all these suggestions of use corn starch don't work...My poor mother about killed me trying to help with a diaper rash when I was very young and un-diagnosed at the time.

                          Sheridan
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                            Kaolin or Cosmetic clay or green french clay (you can get these from
                            herbal supply stores or mountainroseherbs.com). This comes as a fine
                            powder and are useful anywhere on the body. It is great for
                            chafing. You can mix a little rice powder in with it if you like. I
                            also add healing herbs that I've put through seive, things like
                            comfrey, chickweed (best weed EVER for skin problems), whatever you
                            like. For a light scent, blend in a little finely ground lavander
                            and rose petals.
                            Avacyn

                            >Sounds weird but there is a fix before it starts. We ladies down
                            >here in Trimaris where average temps at the event this weekend were
                            >in the low 90's. You roll deoderant on your thighs. I have been
                            >doing this for a couple of years and have never chaffed. It will
                            >also work if you are breaking in new boots and don't want blister.
                            >Roll the deoderant on your feet. I use "Secret Solid" but I am sure
                            >about anything would work. I would hesitate to apply it to any where
                            >were the skin is already broken.
                            >
                            >I am also alergic to Corn so all these suggestions of use corn
                            >starch don't work...My poor mother about killed me trying to help
                            >with a diaper rash when I was very young and un-diagnosed at the time.
                            >

                            >Sheridan

                            Every word has three explainations and three interpretations. Irish Proverb
                          • Joanne Clyde
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                              I wanted to thank you all for your advice, though I made some errors in the
                              implmenetation of it. Can I claim "newbie" at all??? Maybe you'll get a
                              chuckle out of this as my husband and I did.

                              Someone mentioned Zinc Oxide cream as a help. As I'm wandering up and down
                              the first aid aisle in the Walgreens, I can't find it, and it didn't dawn on
                              my to look at the baby stuff since we don't have children. So I ask the
                              pharmacist. I described my hubby's symptoms, but apparently the pharmacist
                              only heard where the chafing was located and not what it was. So he told me
                              the Preparation-H should help. It didn't. When my husband yelled that it
                              hurt more, we put him back in the shower and used Witch Hazel to ge the rest
                              of the Prep-H off (which stung even more)... That's when the email
                              mentioning Desetin came through. I ran back to the pharmacy to get the
                              Desetin, and came home to find my husband on his hands and knees on the bed
                              with the fan blowing at the affected region... it was quite a picture, and
                              if I hadn't felt so bad about the preparation-H I probably would have
                              laughed myself silly.

                              Needless to say, once we got the Desetin on his chafed area and a hearty
                              dose of ibuprofen, he felt much better.

                              Again, Thank you for your wise advice, and my husband thanks you...if
                              belatedly.

                              Geertruyt
                            • Rickard, Patty
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                                Talc is just ground rock, but they started switching from it to cornstach in baby powder because of problems with inhaled particles. Just don't make a big cloud of it.

                                Ceit

                                ________________________________

                                It sounds like heat rash. The cornstarch will do ok, but I would suggest the zinc cream. You need not only a drying agent but a water barrier (to prevent more sweat from causing more rash--and cornstarch alone will just cake up and cause more problems). I wouldn't suggest vaseline (or any product with it) because the petroleum will heat up when he does and cause more burn (think of cooking).
                                Yeast infections can look like rashes and chafing too (and can be a side effect of cornstarch--its food for the yeasties), so have him eat a lot of yogurt (with active cultures) or take acidophilis pills (neither of these will hurt anything if he doesn't have yeast).
                                Apollonia (RN in mundanity)

                                .
                                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714&grpId=259760&grpspId=1600767503&msgId=5554&stime=1157294396&nc1=3848615&nc2=3848446&nc3=3848519&nc1=3848627&nc2=3848429&nc3=3848521>
                              • Rickard, Patty
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                                  Bicycle shorts are another fix before it starts, if he's going to be doing much riding.

                                  Ceit

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006

                                    Um, ok, I agree with pretty much everything here (I’ve also read that book – scary stuff), but the ‘wuzza wuzza’s I mentioned (and which Aelfwyn joking referred to as being ‘prescirbed’) are not allopathic medicine, just motherly/wifely mutterings ‘wuzza wuzza – poor baby – here, drink this cool drink and let the fan blow on you’ sort of thing.

                                    (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                                  • Anwen Dutson
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006
                                      I had never heard of "wuzza wuzzas" until now, but that is probably because we are likely living in different parts of the country. I took the phrase as meaning the same as "bits and pieces", "materials", or just plain "stuff". Don't laugh. My son lives in Kentucky and sometimes trying to communicate with my daughter-in-law without making either of us sound silly is fairly difficult. Then there was the time I went into a restaurant there, ordered prime rib, and asked for horseradish sauce. They not only didn't have it, they didn't even know what I was talking about.

                                      Now, "warm-fuzzies" I get.

                                      Grannee

                                    • King's Taste Productions
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006

                                        That’s the problem with email, no body language or vocal inflections.  Imagine my voice in not-quite-baby-speak sing-songy – ‘ooh, poooor baby – wuzza wuzza’ – and you get the picture ;)

                                        Christianna

                                          I shared the term "wuzza wuzza" with my hubby and he translated that term to
                                          mean something more.... *ahem* "active" than a "poor baby..." Not that he
                                          was in any state to attempt THAT type of "wuzza wuzza." :)

                                          Geertruyt

                                          I had never heard of "wuzza wuzzas" until now, but that is probably
                                          because we are likely living in different parts of the country. I took
                                          the phrase as meaning the same as "bits and pieces", "materials", or
                                          just plain "stuff". Don't laugh. My son lives in Kentucky and sometimes
                                          trying to communicate with my daughter-in-law without making either of
                                          us sound silly is fairly difficult. Then there was the time I went into
                                          a restaurant there, ordered prime rib, and asked for horseradish sauce.
                                          They not only didn't have it, they didn't even know what I was talking
                                          about.

                                          Now, "warm-fuzzies" I get.

                                          Grannee

                                          King's Taste Productions <kingstaste@...> wrote:
                                          the 'wuzza wuzza's I mentioned are not allopathic medicine, just
                                          motherly/wifely mutterings
                                        • Shanalee C Hollingshead
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006
                                            If you would like to try an herbal remedy, I would recommend an infusion
                                            of plantain and comfrey root in olive oil with some bee's wax to thicken.
                                            It works wonders for my sweetie when he has a rash in a sensitive area.
                                            It is also a wonderful natural way to treat diaper rash.
                                            Elysant
                                          • King's Taste Productions