Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: Source for dried herbs

  • ysabeau
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 25, 2006
      Not at all. I can't find the original so I'm depending an a non-
      reliable source:
      http://allnaturalbeauty.us/recipes_byjeannerose.htm#bookmark

      It looks like it is going to be an expensive project to buy all
      the herbs so I might have to wait a bit.

      I haven't actually found the book she refers to anywhere, but I
      have found references to the fact that it exists. If anyone out
      there can confirm the recipe, I would appreciate it.

      What I'm actually going to do is make the oil then use the oil in
      a massage bar recipe. I'm going to try it...see if it works. I'll
      probably also just bottle some to hand out as largesse.

      I'm also going to experiment with several of the recipes listed in
      the list's file section as well. I think Jadwiga's (sp?) calls for
      creating comfrey and calendula oil, but I found bottles of it
      already made at a local "Herb Bar". They don't have a wide
      selection of individual herbs, per se...but a lot blends and
      essential oils...but they are kind of pricey.

      For the more experienced herbalists out there, do you include all
      of the ingredients on the label just in case of allergies?

      Thanks,
      Ysabeau

      From: "Deredere ingen Donnchaid meic Cormaic"
      <deredereoffalconrose@...>
      Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:38:29 -0400

      Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net
    • Anwen Dutson
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 26, 2006
        Try Penn Herb at www.pennherb.com or www.herbal.com  to name two. I have ordered from both and was very happy with them. You can buy small amounts, but be aware that even an ounce of some herbs can be terribly spendy. I have a 1 ounce bag of goldenseal that cost me about $25. There is quite a bit to an ounce of it, but nevertheless..

        Good luck and have fun with it!

        ~Grannee Annie

        ysabeau <ysabeau@...> wrote:

        I want to try to make the Bruise Juice ointment from the Digby
        recipe, but I'm daunted by the number of herbs required. I have a
        brown thumb so I don't have any of my own.

        Does anyone have sources for reasonably priced dried herbs where I
        don't have to buy a whole pound? I found a few online but figured
        there might be some recommendations out there.

        Thanks,
        Ysabeau
        Bryn Gwlad

        Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Kandy Fling
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 27, 2006
          *Commercial announcement starting*

          My husband and I run Golden Squirrel Enterprises -- SCA merchants of
          herbs and spices (and needlework supplies). Most of what we carry
          is aimed at cooks and brewers, but if there are items that you're
          looking for that we don't carry (Goldenseal for instance...) we have
          two options.

          1) If we can get it from our vendors, we do ask that you buy 1/2
          pound. We'll research the amount and let you know.

          2) We also offer a "pass through" service. We have a couple of
          local places where we can get items quite inexpensively. We can
          find out the local price(s) and let you know. If you want less than
          1/2 pound (see above), we'll buy it from our local place and charge
          you only what we pay and shipping. Yup, you read that right. We
          won't make anything on it... it's a _service_ :)

          www.goldensquirrel.com

          "Commercial announcement" over...

          --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Anwen Dutson
          <mountain_hedgewitch@...> wrote:

          > Try Penn Herb at www.pennherb.com or www.herbal.com to name two.
          I have ordered from both and was very happy with them. You can buy
          small amounts, but be aware that even an ounce of some herbs can be
          terribly spendy. I have a 1 ounce bag of goldenseal that cost me
          about $25. There is quite a bit to an ounce of it, but nevertheless..

          > Good luck and have fun with it!
          >
          > ~Grannee Annie
          >

          > ysabeau <ysabeau@...> wrote:
          >
          > I want to try to make the Bruise Juice ointment from the Digby
          > recipe, but I'm daunted by the number of herbs required. I have a
          > brown thumb so I don't have any of my own.
          >
          > Does anyone have sources for reasonably priced dried herbs where I
          > don't have to buy a whole pound? I found a few online but figured
          > there might be some recommendations out there.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Ysabeau
          > Bryn Gwlad

          > Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net

          > SCA-Herbalist disclaimer: This list is primarily for discussion of
          medieval
          > and renaissance herbalism and herbalism in the SCA. Please verify
          any health
          > information in other sources and/or with a qualified health
          professional.

          > [Email to SCA-Herbalist-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this
          list]
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

        • Dianna Haught
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 27, 2006
            mountainroseherbs.com

            I used these guys for years and years. Absolutely top quality ingrediants,
            nice prices, and you can buy just small amounts.
            Avacyn

            "Every word has three meanings and three interpretations." Irish Proverb
          • joan_myssenden
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 27, 2006
              My university library has increased its herbal collection since last I
              looked! I found a copy of the source book what I think is the
              original recipe for what she calls "Bruise Juice".

              _Choice and experimented receipts in physick and chirurgery
              [microform] : as also cordial and distilled waters and spirits,
              perfumes, and other curiosities_, collected by Sir Kenelm Digby, Knight

              London : Printed by Andrew Clark, for Henry Brome, 1675.

              A most precious Ointment for all manner of Aches and Bruises; and also
              for the Rednes of the Face

              Take [leaves and flowers of]* Violet, Primrose, Elder, and Cowslip.
              [Also] Sage, Mugwort, Ragweed, white Lilies, St. John's wort, Nep,
              Smallage, Marjoram, Lavender, Sothernwood, Rosemary, Rose-leaves, Rue,
              Fetherfew, Tansie, Lovage, Mint, Camomil, Thyme, Dill, Clary, Oak of
              Ferusalem, Peniroial, Hyssop, Malm, white Mint, Marigold,
              Peony-leaves, Bay-leaves, Saffron, of each one handful. Stamp all
              these in a Stone-Mortar, as you geth them, then put them into a Pottle
              of Sallet-Oil, and so let them infuse there till you have all the rest
              together; for you cannot get them all at one time, but get them as
              fast as you can. Then put them and the Oil, a quart of White-wine,
              and set it over the fire, and boil it to the Consumption of the Wine;
              then take it off and strain it; then put it inot a Glass and keep it
              for use.

              When you anoint any Sore with this, do it by the fire-side, chafing it
              well in; and the lay a Hogs-bladder next to it, and a Linen upon that.

              *Comments added for clarity, since I cannot duplicate the formatting
              in the text.

              I hope that helps! It certainly has a few less ingredients than what
              she suggests.

              -Joan Myssenden

              --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "ysabeau" <ysabeau@...> wrote:

              > Not at all. I can't find the original so I'm depending an a non-
              > reliable source:
              > http://allnaturalbeauty.us/recipes_byjeannerose.htm#bookmark
              >
              > It looks like it is going to be an expensive project to buy all
              > the herbs so I might have to wait a bit.
              >
              > I haven't actually found the book she refers to anywhere, but I
              > have found references to the fact that it exists. If anyone out
              > there can confirm the recipe, I would appreciate it.
              >
              > What I'm actually going to do is make the oil then use the oil in
              > a massage bar recipe. I'm going to try it...see if it works. I'll
              > probably also just bottle some to hand out as largesse.
              >
              > I'm also going to experiment with several of the recipes listed in
              > the list's file section as well. I think Jadwiga's (sp?) calls for
              > creating comfrey and calendula oil, but I found bottles of it
              > already made at a local "Herb Bar". They don't have a wide
              > selection of individual herbs, per se...but a lot blends and
              > essential oils...but they are kind of pricey.
              >
              > For the more experienced herbalists out there, do you include all
              > of the ingredients on the label just in case of allergies?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Ysabeau

            • Anwen Dutson
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 27, 2006
                I always forget about them! And I not only live a few miles from them, but know someone who works there. Well, duh! <grins>

                Grannee

                Dianna Haught <avacyn@...> wrote:
                mountainroseherbs.com

                I used these guys for years and years. Absolutely top quality ingrediants,
                nice prices, and you can buy just small amounts.
                Avacyn

                "Every word has three meanings and three interpretations." Irish Proverb

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Foster, Laurie E. USNCIV NAVAIR 2272, 3
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 28, 2006
                  Oh, you lucky devil! I live in RURAL MD and don't have access to a
                  decent library! I spend a lot of time surfing for affordable sources
                  for this stuff for documentation and my wallet is getting bruised!
                  (Hmmm, can I use the juice on that?) Oh, but I digress! Thanks for the
                  info!

                  YIS

                  Lore Bubeck

> [...]

                  > I haven't actually found the book she refers to anywhere, but I have
                  > found references to the fact that it exists. If anyone out there can
                  > confirm the recipe, I would appreciate it.
                  >
                  > What I'm actually going to do is make the oil then use the oil in a
                  > massage bar recipe. I'm going to try it...see if it works. I'll
                  > probably also just bottle some to hand out as largesse.
                  >
                  > I'm also going to experiment with several of the recipes listed in the

                  > list's file section as well. I think Jadwiga's (sp?) calls for
                  > creating comfrey and calendula oil, but I found bottles of it already
                  > made at a local "Herb Bar". They don't have a wide selection of
                  > individual herbs, per se...but a lot blends and essential oils...but
                  > they are kind of pricey.
                  >
                  > For the more experienced herbalists out there, do you include all of
                  > the ingredients on the label just in case of allergies?

                  Links
                • ysabeau
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 28, 2006
                    Thanks bunches! This is definitely a bit more doable with my
                    pocketbook. I'll let you know how it goes!

                    From: "joan_myssenden" <joan_myssenden@...>
                    Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:43:23 -0000

                    Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net
                  • Harry
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 30, 2006
                      Is there a reson why none of these suppliers are in the links section?

                      That way we will have them for future use.
                      :-)

                    • Stephanie Ross
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                        Oh, you lucky devil! I live in RURAL MD and don't have access to a
                        decent library! I spend a lot of time surfing for affordable sources
                        for this stuff for documentation and my wallet is getting bruised!
                        (Hmmm, can I use the juice on that?) Oh, but I digress! Thanks for the
                        info!

                        YIS

                        Lore Bubeck
                        -------------

                        Where in MD do you live? Are you a transplant or a native?

                        ~Aislinn~
                        Et si omnes ego non.

                        "The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
                        first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
                        Maryland Republicans, 1809.
                      • Foster, Laurie E. USNCIV NAVAIR 2272, 3
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 25, 2006
                          Transplant. I'm like a weed! =)
                          Started in PA/NJ, time in VA and NC. Settled down here in '98. Lusby,
                          MD. Go to the end of the "western shore" of MD and you'll find us!

                          Lore