Re: Edible Flowers

  • Rosie
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 6, 2006
      I'm cook with herbs, and am learning to grow some too. I'm scared of
      using them medicinally, but have been interested for about as long
      as I can remember!!! Can someone point me in the direction of some
      simple recipes (a word I use widely, can mean directions,
      patterns..) that I won't be able to poison myself or anyone else
      with?
      Thanks :)
      Rosie the Procrastinator (should be writing essays)

      --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne
      Heise <jenne@...> wrote:

      > Someone asked if SCA herbalists mostly were
      > interested in herbs for food or for healing.
      > My first response was that I've concentrated mainly on the non-
      medical
      > aspects of herbs because...
      >
      > Oh yeah. I'm among the first people in my kingdom to seriously
      study and
      > try to advance research on period herbalism in my kingdom (region)
      in
      > the time I've been in. Like it or not, I've been a leader and a
      > lighting-rod. And, frankly, advancing research on non-medical uses
      of
      > herbs before 1600 has been a lot easier and more popular. A lot of
      > people interested in herbs are interested in the medical aspects,
      and
      > that scares others.
      >
      > I myself am pretty cautious about using herbal treatments, because
      > don't feel that after 25 years I'm an expert. I have a mental list
      of
      > safe things to try along with my usual first-aid and over-the-
      counter
      > remedies, but that's about it. Modern medical herbalism /
      Alternative
      > medicine doesn't fascinate me, and I'd need to do a lot with the
      modern
      > stuff to be sure about the period stuff.
      >
      > Famously, when I first started talking about medieval use of
      herbs,
      > there was a rumor going around my local group that I advocated
      using
      > period herbs instead of modern medicines. Since I'm the Person
      Most
      > Likely To Have Sudafed & Ibuprofen On My Person, I was confused. A
      > little research traced this back to a chance comment to a friend
      that I
      > didn't hold with St. Johnswort as an antidepressant alternative
      because
      > I hadn't found that use mentioned in the texts I'd been studying,
      and if
      > it was all that good, wouldn't they have noticed? (The person
      under
      > discussion had dropped off her meds and changed over to St.
      Johnswort.)

      > Obviously, you can't win on that one!
      >
      > Of course, when I was starting out, I was also on our kingdom
      mailing
      > list, a hotbed of acrimony and quarrelsomeness even in our
      pigheaded,
      > stubborn, argumentative, libertarian kingdom. So I knew that
      whatever I
      > said would probably get ripped apart-- my favorite was the vet
      tech who
      > felt it was inappropriate to use strewing herbs on someone's land
      lest
      > they drop seeds which might grow up into weeds that might poison
      > livestock. (For the record: I checked; neither the Ukrainian
      Homestead
      > or Cooper's Lake object to the use of strewing herbs on their
      property,
      > though you should clean up any debris when leaving...)
      >
      > So, in a lot of ways, my area of research and expertise has been
      shaped
      > by trying to dodge the most buffets in the game. Embarrassing,
      that, as
      > most people would see me as someone who never ducks a
      confrontation.
      > There are some benefits to my madness though; it allows me to
      combine my
      > interest in cooking with my interest in herbalism, to get some
      > double-use classes; and I end up doing research on subject areas
      outside
      > of cooking that people generally haven't tackled. All's well that
      ends
      > well, I guess.
      > --
      > -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne@...
      > "America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
      > imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at
      hand."
      > -- Harry S. Truman

    • Rosie
      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 7, 2006
        Well, that's one to remember. Far better than my great grandmother's
        remedy: a nip of gin! Was never too comfortable with that idea..
        Rosie

        --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Emily Groner <emgroner@...>
        wrote:
        I remember a friend asking for something to help her infant sleep.
        She followed my directions and hed a cup of chamomile and catnip tea
        herself, then after a while, breast fed him