mint, rosemary ect

  • Haley
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2006
      how many types of mint and rosemary???? i know that rosemary is
      related to mint but cannot find how many diff types of mint there
      is.are there any good herb sites.
      thanks
      haley
    • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 23, 2006
        > how many types of mint and rosemary???? i know that rosemary is
        > related to mint but cannot find how many diff types of mint there
        > is.are there any good herb sites.
        > thanks
        > haley

        A goodly number of the herbs are in the botanical family Lamiaceae, or
        Labiatae, which is referred to as the mint family. Mint are the species
        in the Mentha genera(sp?), which the Encyclopedia Britannica comprises
        about 25 species. However, the varietals of mint are innumerable, and
        were so in period. Walafrid Strabo wrote in the 9th century, 'Mint I
        grow in abundance in all its varieties. How many there are I might as
        well try to count the sparks from Vulcan's furnace beneath Etna.'

        "America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
        imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
        -- Harry S. Truman
      • Haley
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 23, 2006
          thank you
          that was very helpfull.
          i will be doing some searching on the many types, then i will try to
          grow as many as i can. along with many other herbs.
          haley
        • KatRavenclaw@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 23, 2006
            Mint is the most varied of herbs, including a rough estimate of unclassified/unnamed mints there are well into the hundreds No joke...
            Kat
          • Avacyn
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 23, 2006
              For Valentine's Day I got a cute little potted rose. I've never kept
              potted roses before and have a few questions. The pot it's in seems
              small for it, and I think it's root bound. Is this good for a potted
              rose, or should I replant it? How moist should I keep the soil (it's
              very, very dry here and I've been giving it a little water daily
              otherwise the soil feels dry to the touch). Does it get fed? If so,
              how much and what kind of plant food? Since I got it, it has put on
              a few very light green shoots while the rest of leaves are a darker
              green. Does this mean its getting enough, too little or too much sunlight?
              Thanks,
              Avacyn, who knows about using rose petals, but not growing them inside
            • Emily Groner
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 25, 2006
                I would repot them and add a minute amount of fertilizer when you
                do. I does sound as if you need to give them more light, if the new
                shoots are very light green. If you live in a climate of zone 6 or
                higher, you can plant them outside (year round) and they will grow
                and be a wonderful addition to your garden. Sometimes these roses
                can be very fragrant and make a good addition to potpourris or tussy-
                mussies.
                Emily
                --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Avacyn <avacyn@...> wrote:

                > For Valentine's Day I got a cute little potted rose. I've never
                kept
                > potted roses before and have a few questions. The pot it's in
                seems
                > small for it, and I think it's root bound. Is this good for a
                potted
                > rose, or should I replant it? How moist should I keep the soil
                (it's
                > very, very dry here and I've been giving it a little water daily
                > otherwise the soil feels dry to the touch). Does it get fed? If
                so,
                > how much and what kind of plant food? Since I got it, it has put
                on
                > a few very light green shoots while the rest of leaves are a
                darker
                > green. Does this mean its getting enough, too little or too much
                sunlight?
                > Thanks,
                > Avacyn, who knows about using rose petals, but not growing them
                inside

              • Cheri
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
                  Avacyn <avacyn@...> wrote:
                  For Valentine's Day I got a cute little potted rose.  I've never kept
                  potted roses before and have a few questions.

                  ************
                  I take it they are miniature roses?
                  ************

                  The pot it's in seems
                  small for it, and I think it's root bound.  Is this good for a potted
                  rose, or should I replant it?

                  ***************
                  If it's root bound, yes re-pot it as soon as you can.
                  ****************

                  How moist should I keep the soil (it's
                  very, very dry here and I've been giving it a little water daily
                  otherwise the soil feels dry to the touch).

                  ***********
                  Please, don't give any potted plant just a little water everyday.  Give it a good soaking (where the water runs out the bottom) as needed.  The small amounts of water do not flush out the build up in the soil and that is bad for any potted plant.

                  *********
                  Does it get fed?  If so, how much and what kind of plant food?
                  **************

                  Regular rose food is fine.  Read the directions on the package.
                  ****************

                  Since I got it, it has put on
                  a few very light green shoots while the rest of leaves are a darker
                  green.  Does this mean its getting enough, too little or too much sunlight?

                  ******
                  New leaves are typically lighter green than older ones that's okay.

                  My husband usually gives me the "three" basket of miniature roses every Valentines day.  And I do usually have to re-pot them due to them being root-bound.  There are usually 3 to 5 individual rose plants per pot.

                  I plant them in the rose garden (small rose section and in the spring) and they do quite well.  I've never tried to keep them in a pot, so I can't really tell you how well they will thrive in one.

                  Hope this helps.
                  Anne
                  Thanks,
                  Avacyn, who knows about using rose petals, but not growing them inside

                  Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
                  those you know hereafter."

                  Yahoo! Mail