Re: [SCA-Herbalist] an interesting "gardening" tip

  • Medieval Inc.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2006
      That is a cute story...
      Thanks for the tip! And I am glad to hear the hens are doing fine.

      Blessings
      Dawn

      Julie Armstrong <juliearm@...> wrote:
      Greetings-
      I was asked about herbal gardening tips, so I have one that you might find amusing if not useful. I had dug the roots of my speedwell and leopard's bane, brought them inside to overwinter, and left them in a garden tub in the cellar. Being near a window, the plants, still covered in garden soil, started to sprout in the moist subterranean air. I carelessly ignored this, thinking it might be useful during the winter to have fresh speedwell, although leopard's bane is used only as an external tincture or ointment. Then the weather turned bitterly cold and windy, and I took pity on my poor little hens and let the three of them inside to roost in the cellar. They soon found the tub of rootlings and ate the sprouts with great relish. Now, the internal effect of eating leopard's bane (you may know it by the common name mountain tobacco or the latin arnica) is cathartic. I was concerned that the silly birds had poisoned themselves but God is gracious even unto the least of creatures, and besides a bit of a mess to clean up, the hens have not ill suffered.

      Herbs do not overwinter well inside, unless it is in a cool, damp place such as the cellar. The herbs I took into the kitchen have withered from the constant heat of the ovens and wood burned to heat the monastery, and they would have been better served downstairs, except for the ever devouring hens. I would recommend that if one wishes to keep potted herbs inside, they are in a cool sunlit window and lightly misted occasionally.

      Juliana