Bath herbs

  • Lyn Belzer
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
      Hi everybody...your friendly neighborhood lurker crawling forward for
      advice...

      I not only have a cold coming on, but I pulled some muscles in my thighs at
      some point in the past couple of days. I have the cheesecloth for a bath
      sachet, but no idea of what to put in it. Thoughts? Rosemary and mint
      crossed my mind, but it also occurred to me that two such strong scents
      might "clash."

      Thanks in advance *sniffle*-

      -Lyn Belzer
    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
        > I not only have a cold coming on, but I pulled some muscles in my thighs at
        > some point in the past couple of days. I have the cheesecloth for a bath
        > sachet, but no idea of what to put in it. Thoughts? Rosemary and mint
        > crossed my mind, but it also occurred to me that two such strong scents
        > might "clash."
        > Thanks in advance *sniffle*-

        Rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus (it's not period, but use _a little bit_
        anyway), comfrey, cloves, cinnamon or cayenne, would all be helpful.
        They don't clash too much.

        I drink a sage/rosemary/mint/lemon peel tea sometimes when i feel
        'something' coming on; one of my old teachers used to swear by a decoction
        made from the Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice teabags, extra sage,
        rosemary, lots of cayenne, coltsfoot, mullein, and a whole lot of other
        counter-irritants, sweetened by honey. Generally she made it by opening my
        spice cabinet, dumping things into a cast iron pot with water, and boiling
        it for 10-20 minutes. It was a lot like hangover remedies are supposed to
        be; once you got the cupful into your system, for 10 minutes you thought
        you were going to die, and then you felt a LOT better.

        "They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the
        nuts work loose.
        They do not preach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when
        they damn-well choose. " -Kipling, "The Sons of Martha"
      • jimandandi
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
          Another FABULOUS one is a mix of elecampane root, rosemary and sage. It
          smells really bad, but with enough honey (which is another demulcent) it
          doesn't taste too bad. A good bath is eucalyptus and lemon balm, really
          strong. It'll clear your sinuses and you will sleep like a baby. Eating
          candied ginger always helps too, it'll help clear thick mucus.

          Madrun, who loves to use her family as guinea pigs "Run, Dad, she's got the
          mortar and pestle again!"

          > I not only have a cold coming on, but I pulled some muscles in my thighs
          at
          > some point in the past couple of days. I have the cheesecloth for a bath
          > sachet, but no idea of what to put in it. Thoughts? Rosemary and mint
          > crossed my mind, but it also occurred to me that two such strong scents
          > might "clash."
          > Thanks in advance *sniffle*-

          Rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus (it's not period, but use _a little bit_
          anyway), comfrey, cloves, cinnamon or cayenne, would all be helpful.
          They don't clash too much.

          I drink a sage/rosemary/mint/lemon peel tea sometimes when i feel
          'something' coming on; one of my old teachers used to swear by a decoction
          made from the Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice teabags, extra sage,
          rosemary, lots of cayenne, coltsfoot, mullein, and a whole lot of other
          counter-irritants, sweetened by honey. Generally she made it by opening my
          spice cabinet, dumping things into a cast iron pot with water, and boiling
          it for 10-20 minutes. It was a lot like hangover remedies are supposed to
          be; once you got the cupful into your system, for 10 minutes you thought
          you were going to die, and then you felt a LOT better.

          "They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the
          nuts work loose.
          They do not preach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when
          they damn-well choose. " -Kipling, "The Sons of Martha"

          Get paid to surf at http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=HKG033

          This list sponsored by House Wyvern Hall, BBM, East Kingdom, SCA
          [Email to SCA-Herbalist-unsubscribe@... to leave this list]
        • amynjohn@worldnet.att.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2000
            You might also want to throw some epsom salts in that bath for your
            aching muscles.
            An echinacea tea isn't period either, but I swear by it for fighting
            an oncoming illness. (Studies show that it actually does increase
            the white blood cell count in your body.)
            I've also seen recipes for throat lozengers made from horehound.
            Anyone ever tried that one?
            I believe it was also Nostradomus that made throat lozengers from
            rose hips (high in vitamin C) while caring for the ill during the
            plague.

            Oh, and I think rosemary and mint would be wonderful together
            (particularly peppermint). I've seen it used together in soaps and
            lotions.

            Amy