Re: Apothecary's equipment.

  • Jeremy J. Slick
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 23, 2005
      Speaking on apothecaries:

      1) I'm currently researching period ceramics to reproduce some of the
      majolica apothecary jars that have been throughout Italy. [[Part of my
      persona....YEAH!]]

      2) On the flip side, I'm having difficulty tracking down informaton on
      apothecaries in Italy. I'm trying to find information specifically as
      to what they did day-to-day and what types of herbals they worked with
      most often, etc. Anyone with any possible leads to guide a lost
      apothecary-wannabe?

      Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
      Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
      http://www.geocities.com/purplellamaboi/giudo.html
    • medievalapothecary
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
        www.pillagedvillage.com

        May be a good place fo you to look.

        --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Julian" <smnco37@y...> wrote:

        > I would like to equip my Lady with the appropriate replica-
        mediæval
        > Apothecary's tools, so that she may create a display for our
        > Companie's events next Season. [Our Companie works in the period
        1450
        > ot 1509, in the Anglo-Norman Island of Jersey.]
        > What were the tools, please?
        > And - where can I buy replicas of the most-common mediæval
        > apothecary's-equipment items? I presume these would certainly
        include
        > mortar-&-pestle,scales and weights, a small Mill perhaps, maybe
        also a
        > small alembic, and a pill-rolling slab?
        >
        > Matthew Baker.
        > [aka Julian Wilson, of the "Companie of The Duke's Leopards", -
        see us
        > at < www.dukesleopards.org >]

      • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
          > 2) On the flip side, I'm having difficulty tracking down informaton on
          > apothecaries in Italy. I'm trying to find information specifically as
          > to what they did day-to-day and what types of herbals they worked with
          > most often, etc. Anyone with any possible leads to guide a lost
          > apothecary-wannabe?

          One of the first places I would look is in the histories of guilds,
          under both the apothecary and the doctors' guilds.

          "America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
          imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
          -- Harry S. Truman
        • otsisto
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
            I've been pulling ideas for designs for my ceramics. I can't help on the
            contents but in case you haven't seen these
            http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/catalogue_detail.php?&priref=48315&_fun
            ction_=xslt&_limit_=100

            http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/catalogue_detail.php?&priref=73178&_fun
            ction_=xslt&_limit_=100

            http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/catalogue_detail.php?&priref=73179&_fun
            ction_=xslt&_limit_=100

            http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/catalogue_detail.php?&priref=73208&_fun
            ction_=xslt&_limit_=100

            http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/catalogue_detail.php?&priref=73288&_fun
            ction_=xslt&_limit_=100

            http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/catalogue_detail.php?&priref=74004&_fun
            ction_=xslt&_limit_=100

            http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/catalogue_detail.php?&priref=74288&_fun
            ction_=xslt&_limit_=100

            http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/catalogue_detail.php?&priref=76030&_fun
            ction_=xslt&_limit_=100
            using this pattern to make some serving bowls.

            http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/catalogue_detail.php?&priref=77388&_fun
            ction_=xslt&_limit_=100

            You may want to search 17th century records and work your way back. Usually
            you can pick up a trail this way.
            Good Luck,
            Lyse