Blessing of the Herbs

  • kingstaste@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2005
      I am doing some research for a French cooking class, and am perusing "This
      Good Food - Contemporary French Vegetarian Recipes from a Monastery Kitchen"
      by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette, 1993, The Overlook Press.

      There are many wonderful recipes in this book, and it is set up in seasons
      with discussions about what is happening in the garden at the time.

      I ran across this blessing, and had to share it with you.
      Christianna

      Blessing of the Herbs - Old Russian Prayer

      You have made heaven and earth, and all things visible and invisible, and
      have enriched the earth with plants and trees for the use of men and
      animals. You apointed each species to bring forth fruit of its own kind,
      not only to serve as food for living creatures, but also as medicine for
      sick bodies.

      With mind and body, we earnestly implore you in your goodness, to bless
      those various herbs and add to their natural powers the healing power of
      your grace. May they keep off disease and adversity from the men and beasts
      who use them in your name.