Presentation in Reading PA

  • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 15, 2005
      Found this through the local Herb Society of America Group:

      November 17, 2005 - The Elizabethan Housewife: Her Person, Her Home, Her
      Garden -
      presented by special guest Pat Kenny, a member of the Potomac Unit, Herb
      Society of America

      Presented at :

      Berks County Heritage Center
      2201 Tulpehocken Road
      Wyomissing, PA

      Apparently Program times are 9:30 AM and 7:00 PM on each date.

      I'm trying to figure out how to go...

      "'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
      years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase
    • Lisa
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 27, 2005
        --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
        <jenne@f...> wrote:

        > Found this through the local Herb Society of America Group:
        >
        > November 17, 2005 - The Elizabethan Housewife: Her Person, Her Home,
        Her
        > Garden -
        > presented by special guest Pat Kenny, a member of the Potomac Unit,
        Herb
        > Society of America
        >
        > Presented at :
        >
        > Berks County Heritage Center
        > 2201 Tulpehocken Road
        > Wyomissing, PA
        >
        > Apparently Program times are 9:30 AM and 7:00 PM on each date.
        >

        > I'm trying to figure out how to go...
        >
        > --
        > -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne@f...
        > "'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
        > years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase

        Did you get to go and see Pat Kenny? She is the Shiznit(tm). Also, I
        had the privelege of meeting Maitressa Jadwiga in person at
        Stierbach's Holiday Faire in Atlantia last weekend. We had a good
        time geeking herbs <g>. I hope to be more present on the list now
        that the busiest season is over for now. I am currently working on
        two herbal classes for February University in Atlantia: 1) Preserving
        the herbal harvest, and 2) Herbal Care of the Fighter (using period
        recipes and techniques, and validating their efficacy).

        ~Halima
        Raven's Cove, Atlantia
      • Sara Glaze
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 27, 2005
          Sorry to change the topic.

          Anyone know how to dry Basil, Orengo, Lemon balm, spearamint. I have a bumper crop it appears and I don't want it to go to waste.

          Sheridan
          (who lives in Trimaris with the perpetual growing season)
          > Found this through the local Herb Society of America Group:
          >
          > November 17, 2005 - The Elizabethan Housewife: Her Person, Her Home,
          Her
          > Garden -
          > presented by special guest Pat Kenny, a member of the Potomac Unit,
          Herb
          > Society of  America
          >
          > Presented at :
          >
          > Berks County Heritage Center
          >          2201 Tulpehocken Road
          >          Wyomissing, PA
          >
          > Apparently Program times are 9:30 AM and 7:00 PM on each date.
          >

          > I'm trying to figure out how to go...
          >
          > --
          > -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne@f...
          > "'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
          > years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase

          Did you get to go and see Pat Kenny?  She is the Shiznit(tm).  Also, I
          had the privelege of meeting Maitressa Jadwiga in person at
          Stierbach's Holiday Faire in Atlantia last weekend.  We had a good
          time geeking herbs <g>.  I hope to be more present on the list now
          that the busiest season is over for now.  I am currently working on
          two herbal classes for February University in Atlantia:  1) Preserving
          the herbal harvest, and 2) Herbal Care of the Fighter (using period
          recipes and techniques, and validating their efficacy).

          ~Halima
          Raven's Cove, Atlantia

        • Jason Costarakis
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 27, 2005
            HI all,

            just got done doing a major cut back on my rose bush & salvaged a
            good sized handful of rose hips. any suggestions on what I can do with
            them? (I am a brewer by the way, so if I can use them in a brew....)

            thanks
            Jason
          • Ro Bourdeau
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 28, 2005
              While this is not medieval or a brew, it's still a good use of rose hips...
              While I haven't used this recipe yet (My roses are too small to produce enough hips), I like rose hip jelly.

              -A'isha (mka Ro)

              Rose Hip Jelly.
                (Recipe from _Edible Wild Plants; A North American Field Guide_ by
              Thomas Elias and Peter Dykeman)

              6 cups rose hips
              2 cups water

              Simmer rose hips in water for approx 20 minutes (Note: I ended up

              having to simmer mine for about an hour since I was using wild rosehips and they were hard TINY little buggers that didn't want to smash!)  Strain the hips out of the water using a wet jelly bag.  Hopefully, you will have...

              4 cups Rose-hip juice.  (Note: You can get more juice by squeezing the
              bag, but the clarity of the jelly will be cloudier)

              Bring 4 cups Rose-hip juice and 1 box of commercial pectin (I used
              Sure-Jel) to a rolling boil.

              Add 7 cups Sugar.

              Stir in, bring to rolling boil.  As soon as you get a rolling boil, hit
              a timer for 1 minute.  After one minute, remove from heat and jar
              immediately.
                (I use inverse canning method, other methods should work also!)

              Yeild:  7 cups jelly.

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 28, 2005
                > Anyone know how to dry Basil, Orengo, Lemon balm, spearamint. I have a bumper crop it appears and I don't want it to go to waste.

                Do you have space to hang them up to dry? Basically, you cut clean
                stems/sprigs (I would go with branches no more than 2' and no less than
                6" in length), tie them into bunches with rubber bands, and hang them up
                so they are not touching a wall or other flat surface. You can also put
                them in a single layer in a basket if y ou turn them over once or twice
                a day. They will dry crispy-dry within 1-2 weeks. Do not do this where
                there is lots of smoke or oil (kitchen or smoking room) or in a humid
                environment (bathroom). You can try laying them in a single layer on a
                cookie sheet and drying them for several hours in a 200 degree Farenheit
                oven, instead.

                Whatever you do, as soon as they are crispy dry, strip the leaves from
                the stems and store them in air-tight containers. (You can discard the
                stems, compost them, or use them in fires if you want.)

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 29, 2005
                  Thanks. I was hoping you would not tell me to go buy a dehydrater. I do the garden to save money in the first place.

                  Sheridan
                  > Anyone know how to dry Basil, Orengo, Lemon balm, spearamint. I have a bumper crop it appears and I don't want it to go to waste.

                  Do you have space to hang them up to dry? Basically, you cut clean
                  stems/sprigs (I would go with branches no more than 2' and no less than
                  6" in length), tie them into bunches with rubber bands, and hang them up
                  so they are not touching a wall or other flat surface. You can also put
                  them in a single layer in a basket if y ou turn them over once or twice
                  a day. They will dry crispy-dry within 1-2 weeks. Do not do this where
                  there is lots of smoke or oil (kitchen or smoking room) or in a humid
                  environment (bathroom). You can try laying them in a single layer on a
                  cookie sheet and drying them for several hours in a 200 degree Farenheit
                  oven, instead.

                  Whatever you do, as soon as they are crispy dry, strip the leaves from
                  the stems and store them in air-tight containers. (You can discard the
                  stems, compost them, or use them in fires if you want.)

                  "'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
                  years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase
                • Alamanda de Claret
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 29, 2005
                    I know I've used the skins dried in tea with raspberry leaf, or made into a
                    syrup-with plenty of sugar (good for winter, high in vitamin C). I suppose
                    that a cordial could be made with them but haven't tried any myself.

                    Lady Alamanda de Claret

                    >From: Jason Costarakis <Cranium@...>
                    >To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] what to do with rose hips?
                    >Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:29:05 -0800
                    >
                    >HI all,
                    >
                    > just got done doing a major cut back on my rose bush & salvaged a
                    >good sized handful of rose hips. any suggestions on what I can do with
                    >them? (I am a brewer by the way, so if I can use them in a brew....)
                    >
                    >thanks
                    >Jason

                  • otsisto
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 29, 2005
                      If the rose hips are dried you could soak them in a liquor of choice and add
                      them to a spiced bread or muffin.
                      Or add them to a fruit cake.