Re: [SCA-Herbalist] LEmon Peppercord Cordial

  • Sara Glaze
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 8, 2005
      Well I am very sorry that I started such a heated discussion on here. I simply made my FIRST attempt at a cordial and was wondering if I could pass it off as period. I know now clearly that I can not.

      Suggestions on what would have been period like you gave would have been nicer and better received.

      I probably will never be a Laurel nor is it my goal. I am in the SCA to learn things and to have fun. I made the cordial to take to an event which I did. It was well received and many many people loved it and that is all that matters to me. Not weather I can document it or weather some panel of peers thinks its good. I think its good and other's think it is good. If it was document that would have been a bonus but oh so not necessary  to me.

      Please due continue to give constructive criticism as it does help.

      Sheridan
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 9, 2005
        In a message dated 10/8/2005 10:03:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, sheridan_du@... writes:
        I am in the SCA to learn things and to have fun. I made the cordial to take to an event which I did. It was well received and many many people loved it and that is all that matters to me.
        Besides this, Sheridan, you can also be commended for DOING and MAKING something. You rolled up your sleeves and tried doing something in what you thought might be a period manner. If you want some good laughs sometime at a camping event, get a bunch of SCA dinosaurs sitting around a fire (maybe sipping some of that cordial) to tell the tales of THEIR first efforts at "period" endeavors.
        Auntie Aelfwyn
      • Lord Valeryjan
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 9, 2005
          I agree, doing and making is much better than not doing at all.  And as I mentioned before, there were no doubt many things that were done by accident during period as well.  That in itself is period.  Because the amount of things that humanity has discovered by accident is unsurpassed by the things that were done by only pure intent.  :-)

          Lord Val
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 9, 2005
            > I am in the SCA to learn things and to have fun. I made the cordial to take
            > to an event which I did. It was well received and many many people loved it
            > and that is all that matters to me.

            It does sound delicious. Would it be as good with brandy, or whiskey?

            I make a carminative cordial (unsweetened) with lots of anti-gas seeds
            and ginger, both with brandy (for arts gifts) and with vodka. (Distilled
            grain beverage does appear to be period, but many arts geeks prefer
            brandy.) But I like it with vodka better than with brandy.

            I make tincture of cloves for my own (non-SCA) use, with vodka, though I
            guess you could make it with brandy. Cloves show up as a spice in period
            alcoholic beverages, but I haven't found any refernences to tincture or
            water of cloves used for sore throats, etc.

            Has anyone made sage wine or beer? I meant to do that this summer from
            the period recipes but I just didn't get to it.

            "'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
            years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase
          • Sara Glaze
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 9, 2005
              I think it would be very good with Vodka. It did taste good and I knew when I made it it was not period. But I am easing myself into art/sci with the herbs and cordials.

              I grow sage as well so would be interested in that type of wine as well.

              Sheridan

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 9, 2005
                I am sure there would be some tales to tell. Thank you for the encouragement.

                Sheridan
                I am in the SCA to learn things and to have fun. I made the cordial to take to an event which I did. It was well received and many many people loved it and that is all that matters to me.
                Besides this, Sheridan, you can also be commended for DOING and MAKING something. You rolled up your sleeves and tried doing something in what you thought might be a period manner. If you want some good laughs sometime at a camping event, get a bunch of SCA dinosaurs sitting around a fire (maybe sipping some of that cordial) to tell the tales of THEIR first efforts at "period" endeavors.
                Auntie Aelfwyn
              • Beth Ann Bretter
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 10, 2005
                  > Has anyone made sage wine or beer? I meant to do
                  > that this summer from
                  > the period recipes but I just didn't get to it.

                  I made the sage cordial from Arnald de Villanova once
                  I thought it was good, but in the end it went to waste
                  so I haven't tried it again.

                  Peyton

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 10, 2005

                    > I made the sage cordial from Arnald de Villanova once
                    > I thought it was good, but in the end it went to waste
                    > so I haven't tried it again.
                    >
                    > Peyton

                    Recipe? Recipe? Pretty please?

                    "'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
                    years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase
                  • Jason Costarakis
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 13, 2005
                      At 06:24 PM 10/8/2005, you wrote:
                      Well I am very sorry that I started such a heated discussion on here. I simply made my FIRST attempt at a cordial and was wondering if I could pass it off as period. I know now clearly that I can not.

                      Suggestions on what would have been period like you gave would have been nicer and better received.

                      I probably will never be a Laurel nor is it my goal. I am in the SCA to learn things and to have fun. I made the cordial to take to an event which I did. It was well received and many many people loved it and that is all that matters to me. Not weather I can document it or weather some panel of peers thinks its good. I think its good and other's think it is good. If it was document that would have been a bonus but oh so not necessary  to me.

                      Please due continue to give constructive criticism as it does help.

                      Sheridan

                      HI!

                               I am a brewer, and have never entered anything in a competition SCA or mundanely (not why i brew)  I get fairly good reviews from the folks who try my stuff (quite a few hunt me down).  one thing that I was just informed of by a brewing laurel in an effort to get me to enter a few things is that documentation of out of period is acceptable for brewing, especially as true in period references are so hard to find. I was informed that the biggest issues are documenting where your brew is from, how it was done, and your quality. Now if you can document something properly as in period, even better.

                      my 2 cents, off to make 6 2L starters for the 30 gal  I need to brew tomorrow for Calafian anniversary
                      Jason the mad brewer

                      P.S.   sounds yummy, i may try it with some sage & rosemary added & inject it into a leg of lamb..... <drooling>