Re: New to the list

  • Argente@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 9, 2000
      In King of Prussia (about 16 inch snow on ground), I am still picking sage in
      my yard. In spring, I will have wormwood plants available. This is NOT
      edible, but it is an attractive herb no longer used as it is a cumulative
      toxin. I will also have some sage plants available.

      In both cases, you will have to come here to get, but I enjoy visitors.

      argente
    • amos brooks
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 9, 2000
        Greetings, if you have not seen it yet, there are some good books on the
        market that cover spots like yours. I like the herb society of America
        "Encyclopedia of herbs and there uses" by Deni Brown published by Dorling
        Kindersley I also find " The Encyclopedia of Medicinal plants" by Andrew
        Chevallier published also by Dorling Kindersley, a big help for planting in
        "trouble spots". Each book cost me about $20.00 whole sale.

        Isabella

        Isabella

        Albert Boyle wrote:

        > From: "Albert Boyle" <ALBOYLE@...>
        >
        > I take it that I m the only one on the list who lives in the desert
        > south-west. I am looking for herbs (especially the edible type) that can
        > handle summer highs of 118 degrees F. Also, direct sun can destroy even
        > plants that require it in other climates. <sigh>
        >
        > There are several plants available to me. But most of them require special
        > care that I don't have the time to give them. I'll keep trying, though.
        >
        > Ulbrecht

        > $10 Savings on Pet Valentine Gifts.
        > Looking for that pet-perfect Valentine�s Day gift?
        > Click here for $10 off purchases of $25 or more.

      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 9, 2000
          > I take it that I m the only one on the list who lives in the desert
          > south-west. I am looking for herbs (especially the edible type) that can
          > handle summer highs of 118 degrees F. Also, direct sun can destroy even
          > plants that require it in other climates. <sigh>

          Hm... I think a lot of us are in the North-east. At one time, though,
          there was a discussion of this subject on the ansteorran herbalist list (I
          think the Ansteorrans might be more informative on this subject anyway,
          being in Texas) if you're not on the Ansteorran herbalist list, which is a
          motherlode of information, you can get on by going to
          http://lists.ansteorra.org/ and subscribing to Herbalist.)

          > There are several plants available to me. But most of them require special
          > care that I don't have the time to give them. I'll keep trying, though.

          The general upshot of that discussion was that basically keep them in
          filtered shade and bringing them inside during the hottest part of the day
          was the best bet.

          disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

          "You do not lead by hitting people over the head -- that's assault,
          not leadership." Dwight D. Eisenhower
        • Albert Boyle

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 9, 2000
              Thanks!

              I'll contact them.

              Ulbrecht
            • Albert Boyle
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 9, 2000
                I'll keep an eye out for them at my local bookstore.

                Thank you.

                Ulbrecht
              • Ayllytha'Píobaire
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 9, 2000
                  --- Albert Boyle <ALBOYLE@...> wrote:
                  > From: "Albert Boyle" <ALBOYLE@...>
                  >
                  > I take it that I m the only one on the list who
                  > lives in the desert
                  > south-west. I am looking for herbs (especially the
                  > edible type) that can
                  > handle summer highs of 118 degrees F. Also, direct
                  > sun can destroy even
                  > plants that require it in other climates. <sigh>
                  >
                  > There are several plants available to me. But most
                  > of them require special
                  > care that I don't have the time to give them. I'll
                  > keep trying, though.

                  You are not the only one, but i live on the extreme
                  southwest-coast. i grow everything in pots -- have one
                  8-inch pot that's had spearmint in it for 7 years now.
                  We just mow it down when it gets leggy, it comes back
                  up....

                  Good luck!

                  8)

                  =====
                  8) Ayllyth a'P�obaire 8)
                  Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid
                  For your next feast, visit
                  http://www.thewildoats.com !
                  http://im.yahoo.com
                • Argente@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 10, 2000
                    My sage, without significant watering, survived PA's drought. It is growing
                    either next to a south facing white wall or a east facing fence with no shade
                    until the fence itself shades it.

                    The same note for wormwood, horseradish, thyme and parsley.

                    Hope this of help. Argente
                  • Jenne Heise
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 11, 2000
                      You know, I was looking at this message from last week and thinking:
                      booklist?
                      What do you all think, would you like us to maintain a list on the website
                      of books that have been recommended?

                      > From: amos brooks <atbrooks@...>
                      >
                      > Greetings, if you have not seen it yet, there are some good books on the
                      > market that cover spots like yours. I like the herb society of America
                      > "Encyclopedia of herbs and there uses" by Deni Brown published by Dorling
                      > Kindersley I also find " The Encyclopedia of Medicinal plants" by Andrew
                      > Chevallier published also by Dorling Kindersley, a big help for planting in
                      > "trouble spots". Each book cost me about $20.00 whole sale.

                      disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

                      "You do not lead by hitting people over the head -- that's assault,
                      not leadership." Dwight D. Eisenhower
                    • Alatheia Fenwick
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 11, 2000

                        I think keeping an online booklist, (maybe even with commentary?) would be
                        great (not to mention the mailbox space I'd save if I didn't keep all of the
                        book recommendation messages!)

                        Alatheia Fenwick

                        >You know, I was looking at this message from last week and thinking:
                        >booklist?
                        >What do you all think, would you like us to maintain a list on the website
                        >of books that have been recommended?
                        >
                        >Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

                      • Linda Krecker-Schkred
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 11, 2000
                          Ulbrecht,

                          Two years ago I moved from living in Arizona for thirty years to New
                          Jersey. Although I was just starting out, I had a good sized herb
                          garden there. I learned to keep most of the herbs in shade. Not
                          partial shade but complete shade.

                          In the Phoenix house I was lucky enough to have two mature trees
                          (they looked like the ones in the park) about 4' apart. I placed my
                          garden under these. I then built the garden upwards using 4x4's and
                          store bought top soil. I didn't even try to use the native dirt, it's
                          to acidic and sandy. I planted common kitchen herbs that I bought at
                          a local garden store. I was not successful at all at starting from
                          seed. I don't use the little pots (for inside starting) well and the
                          earth dries out way to fast for outside seeding. Then I watered every
                          day in the summer and almost every day during the rest of the year.
                          Most plants did very well. A few were too delicate for the area.
                          Basil, chives, thyme, oregano, all did well under the shade. Sage and
                          rosemary did great but only in the corners of the garden that got a
                          little bit of sun. Both would do fine under no or little shade.
                          Rosemary is used as an evergreen shrub in commercial landscaping (try
                          going near the American West buildings off Mill Avenue in Tempe).

                          The first house house I owned in the Phoenix valley was brand new
                          and had no trees. It was in Chandler and was a former cotton farm.
                          Cotton leaches the ground more than any other plant so I was not
                          willing to work with that dirt. That's where I started the raised
                          garden concept. But because there was no shade, I bought shade fabric
                          from the garden store and rigged up a canopy (kinda like a dining
                          canopy). The garden did surprising well under that. I planted some
                          flowers as well as herbs and everything grew and bloomed.

                          However, here in New Jersey, I can throw seeds in the ground, ignore
                          them (mostly) and things grow! It's quite amazing. My mother-in-law
                          has loads of plants here that bloom from before the first frost to
                          after the last frost. She can grow things!

                          Rhianwen

                        • Aelfwyn@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 11, 2000
                            In a message dated 2/11/00 10:04:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                            rhianwen@... writes:

                            << However, here in New Jersey, I can throw seeds in the ground, ignore
                            them (mostly) and things grow! It's quite amazing. My mother-in-law
                            has loads of plants here that bloom from before the first frost to
                            after the last frost. She can grow things!

                            Rhianwen >>
                            I spent 17 years in New Jersey, and yes, there is good reason it is called
                            the "Garden State". So many herbs will winter over in NJ. Up here in Maine,
                            I've had to learn lots of new tricks to get things to mature in a much
                            shorter growing season. Like always planting on the southfacing walls and
                            even building a low rock wall to help make an "enclosed garden" of sorts.
                            Gotta love all our various regional challenges!
                            Aelfwyn
                          • Albert Boyle
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 11, 2000
                              Thanks.

                              I live in an apartment that has a small plot associated with it, and I am
                              trying something similar to what you have described with you raised garden
                              along the patio wall. I will try the shade-screen idea.

                              I'd use a bubbler system or a soaker hose, but my hose connects directly to
                              the kitchen sink and I need to have access.

                              Ulbrecht
                            • Newbrg@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 11, 2000

                                <<
                                You know, I was looking at this message from last week and thinking:
                                booklist?
                                What do you all think, would you like us to maintain a list on the website
                                of books that have been recommended?

                                Actually, a list that included NOT recommended books would be a good idea,
                                too. Maybe I should go make a list of mine . . .

                                Johanna le M
                              • Linda Krecker-Schkred
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 12, 2000
                                  Also be mindful of the color of your walls. The typical desert white
                                  or off white wall can reflect to a great degree and dry out your
                                  plants. Cover the walls with the shade fabric or a viney type thing
                                  as well.

                                  Rhianwen

                                  >From: "Albert Boyle" <ALBOYLE@...>
                                  >
                                  >Thanks.
                                  >
                                  >I live in an apartment that has a small plot associated with it, and I am
                                  >trying something similar to what you have described with you raised garden
                                  >along the patio wall. I will try the shade-screen idea.
                                  >
                                  >I'd use a bubbler system or a soaker hose, but my hose connects directly to
                                  >the kitchen sink and I need to have access.
                                  >
                                  >Ulbrecht

                                  >Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. Rates as low as 2.9 percent
                                  >Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards
                                  >Points, no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the
                                  >credit you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at

                                • Lori/ Eriana
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 13, 2000
                                    I, too, would like to have a small herb garden, but live in a small apt. in
                                    a downtown area with no grass anywhere. I've tried to grow inside, but
                                    either the cats get to it or it dies from too much or too little light,
                                    maybe? Any suggestions? I live in south central PA.

                                    Also, there are a few people in my shire who would be interested in this but
                                    do not have internet access. Any ideas of a newsletter or something for
                                    those types interested?

                                    Eriana

                                    My advice? Start small. My first herb garden (way too many years ago to
                                    admit) was three parsley plants, 5 marigolds, one clump of chives, a thyme
                                    and a sage plant. How I fussed over those plants! Nothing was ever better
                                    watered, weeded, carefully clipped, etc.

                                    My beginner's herb garden would include: chives, thyme (English; if you
                                    want you can be extravagant and go in for golden lemon thyme too), sage,
                                    basil, parsley, mint (in a pot if you don't want it to spread), lemon
                                    balm (in a pot if you don't want it to spread), and marjoram or oregano.
                                    If you have space to keep things inside over the winter, a rosemary plant
                                    would be nice too: the ARP hybrid is supposed to be winter-hardy but I
                                    have never tried it. If you have the space and patience, some lavender is
                                    nice but most varieties won't bloom the first year.

                                    Whatever you plant, you'll have too much of SOMETHING next year-- one year
                                    it was orange bergamot mint, another year it was anise-- we had anise
                                    everywhere for two years-- then it was catnip; now it's lemon balm,
                                    according to my mom.

                                    Hey, everyone: want to set up a plant swap somewhere/sometime? Or maybe
                                    just arrange plant swaps over the list?

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 13, 2000
                                      > I, too, would like to have a small herb garden, but live in a small apt. in
                                      > a downtown area with no grass anywhere. I've tried to grow inside, but
                                      > either the cats get to it or it dies from too much or too little light,
                                      > maybe? Any suggestions? I live in south central PA.

                                      Hm. I've found that for indoor plants, you want annuals or tender
                                      perennials. This means you have to replace the annuals regularly, but it
                                      does work. Chives, bush leaf basil, marjoram and parsley, as well as
                                      rosemary and myrtle have done well for me but you have to monitor the
                                      water situation closely. They like to be heavily watered but allowed to
                                      dry out between waterings; too wet or too long dry and they die.

                                      I've had absolutely no luck with growing Sage indoors over the winter-- it
                                      needs that downtime-- but as an annual that dies in winter I've had luck
                                      with it in an east-facing window. The best luck I had was in an unheated
                                      but insulated back porch room with large windows facing west; all my herbs
                                      thrived there. (I'm in East-central PA-- Allentown-- but that year I lived
                                      in Emmaus, near the Rodale headquarters, and found that EVERYTHING
                                      thrived... *grin*)

                                      A non-period class of herbs that I've found do very well indoors are the
                                      scented geraniums. Beware, however: scented geraniums are addictive. You
                                      buy one: lemon or rose, for instance. Then you go into the garden store
                                      and see nutmeg scented, or apple... or see citronella geraniums marked
                                      down and slowly perishing in the grocery's plant section... or pick up a
                                      catalog, and suddenly you have eight or nine geraniums all growing bushy
                                      and leggy all over the house.

                                      > Also, there are a few people in my shire who would be interested in this but
                                      > do not have internet access. Any ideas of a newsletter or something for
                                      > those types interested?

                                      Yes. We have a volunteer newsletter editor, and now all we have to do is
                                      starting thinking about content and how often and getting contributions
                                      and all...

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 14, 2000
                                        re: I, too, would like to have a small herb garden, but live in a small apt.
                                        in
                                        a downtown area with no grass anywhere. I've tried to grow inside, but
                                        either the cats get to it or it dies from too much or too little light,
                                        maybe? Any suggestions? I live in south central PA.

                                        Live in southeastern PA. I use leaky fish tanks with lights. If the leak is
                                        above the bottom few inches, they work. I have saved some of my tanks and
                                        used them. Clear plastic over top if near/in a window. Fish tank lights and
                                        tanks may be cheaper than fancy nursery supplies, and possibly easier to find.

                                        I trained my dogs and cats not to eat plants by putting spiny cactus where
                                        they were previously eating plants. The long spines do not come off easily
                                        and stick in the animal, but just prick their noses or mouths.

                                        We winter our hot peppers in the house and no animal eats them. Hot peppers
                                        are perennials and some of mine are 2 or 3 years old. argente
                                      • Mara Jensen
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 24, 2001
                                          Lords and Ladies;
                                          Good day. I have recently subscribed to the list. I have been
                                          trying to gather information about Herbology for about a year now. I
                                          am trying to get some information about making medicinal items that a
                                          person in Italy around 1400-1500 might have used. Any help would be
                                          much appreciated. Also what are some good books to get the
                                          information about the plant life in and around Tuscany would be great.
                                          Thank you so much,

                                          Maura da Vicopisano
                                        • Jenne Heise
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 14, 2001
                                            > Lords and Ladies;
                                            > Good day. I have recently subscribed to the list. I have been
                                            > trying to gather information about Herbology for about a year now. I
                                            > am trying to get some information about making medicinal items that a
                                            > person in Italy around 1400-1500 might have used. Any help would be
                                            > much appreciated. Also what are some good books to get the
                                            > information about the plant life in and around Tuscany would be great.
                                            > Thank you so much,
                                            > Maura da Vicopisano

                                            Dear Maura,
                                            Did you get some answers to your questions?
                                            -- Jadwiga

                                            "Are you finished? If you're finished, you have to put down the spoon."
                                          • Maura da Vicopisano
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 14, 2001
                                              Dear Jadwiga,
                                              I did get a couple of book titles too look at. Although if you have further
                                              imput it would be very appreciated.
                                              Thanks,
                                              Maura