Mullein Candles

  • Lana Jane Swift
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 6:15 PM
      Has anyone REALLY, ACTUALLY, tried to make candles using Mullein
      (Verbascum thapsus)?

      Somewhere I read that you take the leaves, roll them up tightly, let
      them dry, then dip them in wax (I assume bee's wax).

      I also read somewhere that you can cut down the long pointy thing
      after it has finished flowering, slit it open length-wise, remove the
      long cord-like thing, dry it; then dip it in wax.

      I also am looking for PERIOD references to cite about their use. I
      have only found modern references.

      Thanks for the help!

      Cecille de Baskervyl
      Cynagua, West Kingdom
    • Jennifer Hagon-LaFountain
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 6:16 PM
        I have no info for you, but I'm very curious as my mullein is huge this
        year!

      • kingstaste@mindspring.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1 8:23 PM
          Has anyone REALLY, ACTUALLY, tried to make candles using Mullein
          (Verbascum thapsus)?

          Somewhere I read that you take the leaves, roll them up tightly, let
          them dry, then dip them in wax (I assume bee's wax).

          I also read somewhere that you can cut down the long pointy thing
          after it has finished flowering, slit it open length-wise, remove the
          long cord-like thing, dry it; then dip it in wax.

          I also am looking for PERIOD references to cite about their use. I
          have only found modern references.

          Thanks for the help!

          Cecille de Baskervyl
          Cynagua, West Kingdom

          Yes, I attended a lighting workshop where various methods were experimented
          with, including oil lamps, beeswax candles, and mullein torches. The stalk
          was used, although I don't recall it being split in half, I remeber it being
          used whole with the flowers removed. It was dipped in wax and then set in a
          holder like a portable hole to burn. It burned well, provided a fair amount
          of light, and smoked like a chimney. Ok for some outside applications
          perhaps, but nothing you'd want near fabric or anything that you wouldn't
          want to get smoked.
          Christianna
        • Aelfwyn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2 5:58 AM
            In a message dated 8/1/2005 11:18:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, kingstaste@... writes:
            It burned well, provided a fair amount
            of light, and smoked like a chimney.  Ok for some outside applications
            perhaps, but nothing you'd want near fabric or anything that you wouldn't
            want to get smoked.
            Christianna
            Yes, a friend in our encampment made some of these one year and brought them to Pennsic. We had the same experience as above; decent light production but MUCH smoke.
            Aelfwyn
          • chartier
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2 7:33 AM

              <With much snipping>

              Has anyone REALLY, ACTUALLY, tried to make candles using Mullein
              (Verbascum thapsus)?

              Never tried it, but I too have read that it was used as a light source.
              Guess this will give me something to do since I am not going to Pennsic this year. <sigh>

              I think I will try it with beef tallow. Animal fat was/is cheaper than bees wax. I will need to be careful as tallow has a lower melting point and is prone to dripping compared to bees wax. I should also try a mixture of tallow and bees wax. An economical trick used by peasant-housewives who were lucky enough to get a little of the precious stuff.

              <snip>
                It burned well, provided a fair amount
              of light, and smoked like a chimney.  Ok for some outside applications
              perhaps, but nothing you'd want near fabric or anything that you wouldn't
              want to get smoked.
              Guess that is why I've only read about it refered to in funeral processions.  ;-)
              <Note to self: Do this outside.>

              Marguerite Chartier
              Coldwood Shire, East Kingdom

               FREE Emoticons for your email!