Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Skin creams for skin maintenance

  • ysabeau
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 29, 2005
      I turned 40 in March. I have been told for years that I look
      younger than I am. I really started to believe it about a month
      ago. My mom treated me to a microdermabrasion facial. It was
      interesting and I could tell a big difference in the texture of my
      skin and it evened up my skin tone a bit. However, the kicker came
      when the aesthetician started recommending skin care products. She
      gathered up a bunch of samples and sat down to go over them with
      me. She said something about my being so young. I laughed and told
      her I didn't think 40 was that young (she was younger than me or
      at least looked it). She got this surprised look on her face and
      asked me if I was joking. When I told her I wasn't, she said that
      she was going to change her recommendations to give me something
      for more mature skin because she was recommending stuff designed
      for 20-somethings. This same aesthitician sees my sister on a
      regular basis (my sister does the whole nine-yards of botox and
      restillin, etc). She thought my sister was the older one by
      several years and my sister is three years younger than me.

      I've used a variety of things over the years. I started off using
      the Clinique skin care system when I was about 14. As I got older
      I used whatever was available but bought Clinique when I could
      afford it. I switched to Origins (which is a branch of Clinique)
      about 12 years ago or so. Now I use a combination of products:

      I use Lush Coalface for cleansing. It is an natural soap that with
      a base of "detoxifying liquorice root decoction with fragrant
      rosewood and sandalwood oils to soften and calm the skin". I
      occasionally follow that with witch hazel, especially during the
      summer.

      I follow that with a scrub a couple of times a week. It all
      depends on what I have on hand.

      I recently discovered Cellex-C products. They are really pricey
      and the only way I can afford them is because I can get them at
      cost. Even at that, they are still pretty expensive. However the
      results are incredible. There are two serums that I use daily. One
      is a high potency vitamin C base and I'm not really sure what the
      other one does but it helps the vitamin C absorption and makes my
      skin really soft. It isn't a moisturizer though. My skin has never
      been clearer or softer and the tiny lines at the corner of my eyes
      are even beginning to go away. The place where I noticed it the
      most though was my hand. I have a bad scar from surgery to remove
      a tumor on my left ring finger. It had been tough and discolored
      but since I started using the Cellex C, it is going back to a
      natural skin color (instead of white) and it isn't as hard as it
      was. There are a couple of spots where you almost can't see it.
      This isn't a new scar. I had the surgery back in '92.

      I only use moisturizers sparingly because they tend to break me
      out. I do use a moisturizer with an SPF during the summer but
      mostly because I'm cheap and don't want to buy new makeup. I don't
      wear make up often enough to warrant buying a new bottle in a
      darker tone for the summer. Other than that, I only use sunscreen
      when I'm going to be out in the sun all day, like on the river or
      an outdoor event. I've lived all but three years of my life in the
      tropics or sub-tropics so I've had more than my fair share of sun
      exposure.

      Anyway, that is my skincare regimen and it seems to be working for
      me. I think a lot of it is in the genes.

      Ysabeau
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Ansteorra

      Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net