Skin creams for skin maintenance

  • Sharon Gordon
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 28, 2005
      Does anyone have recipes for skin creams that you can use starting in your
      20s and have your skin still look good 50 years later?

      I have seen a few recipes for creams such as
      Olive oil and beeswax with clover, orange peel oil, lavender, or rose oil
      which seemed designed mostly for enriching dry skin and providing a nice
      scent.

      I've enjoyed the various discussions on the bruise healing creams aka
      fighter creams.

      And I've seen ones with mercury and lead designed to create clear light
      smooth skin which I'm not planning to try!

      Also I've read Constance de LaRose's global summary of cream ingredients,
      but haven't been able to find the second part of article with the collected
      recipes.
      "Herbs 99%
      Oil or oils of some kind 98%
      Wax 82%
      Water (plain or infused) 80%
      Vinegar 49%
      Urine 32%
      Lead 28%
      Mercury 25%
      Dung 20%"

      She found recipes in:
      Gerard's Herball (1633)
      Culpeper's Herbal (1638)
      Culpeper's Physicians Booke (1633)
      The Recipes of the Physicians College of England (1633)
      The Writings of Pliny the Elder (approx. 41 AD)
      Mrs. Grieves Herbal (1927)
      Markhams English Huswife (1537)
      John Baptista Porta's Book of Natural Magick (1638)
      Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery (1550-1625 or so?)

      Which of these (or would you suggest other books?) should I get first on
      interlibrary loan that would have the best and most recipes devoted to skin
      maintenance?

      Sharon
      gordonse@...
    • Marian Walke
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 28, 2005
        Sharon Gordon wrote:
        > Does anyone have recipes for skin creams that you can use starting in your
        > 20s and have your skin still look good 50 years later?

        Well, I'm 66 now and I've been told I have an excellent
        complexion for my age, so I'll share what I was told at 19 and
        have practiced ever since:

        DON'T USE SOAP ON YOUR FACE. EVER.

        The corollary is that you shouldn't use makeup on your face, or
        other stuff that needs to be washed off with soap. Just use
        warm-to-hot water with a rather rough washcloth and give your
        face a really good rub.

        Now that I'm in my 60's, I do use a moisturizer on my face...when
        I remember. After all those years of leaving it alone, I
        sometimes forget. When I compare the skin on my face to that on
        my arms, I wish I had never used soap there either.

        --Old Marian
      • Theresa Joines
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 28, 2005
          Have you tried just shea butter.
          Theresa

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 28, 2005
            Oooo, that is a topic that is more than skin deep.  (pun intended)

            (Please excuse any misspelling in the fallowing message. My electric-scribe was sick and had to be pruged. He is still recovering.)

            The only person I remember having heard about was Madam Pompador. She is reputed to have had young lovers when she was well past her 60s. (Or was it her 80s? My memory is fuzzy on details, but I'm sure someone in the group would be able to set me straight.)

            I don't have any great fame for beauty, but I am 51 years old and have been told I look younger. (Not smoking or drinking seems to help a lot.) Nearly 20 years ago, I started using face creams on my face and hands. (The winters are brutal here. Any exposed skin dries out and cracks. This seems to set it up for rapid aging.) I didn't care for the modern produts as they had alcohol in them that made my skin red and burn where there were cracks. So, I started to read and experiment.

            Vegetable shortening works great as it is cheep, can be placed in a small tin or such, and be carried in the purse. (I could not detect any difference between the expencive brands and the cheep stuff.) When used plain, it will soak into the skin in 5 to 10 minutes. (Less if you use just a little at a time.) It leaves no greasy residue on the skin. When I started adding herbs, the absorbtion time seemed to increase.

            I have found that just about any food-based oil will work on the skin. It also, makes a great carrier for any herbs you wish to use. (If there are any food alergies present, use what you can eat.) I am now starting to add herbs to my oil, more for dealing with cuts and such than moisturizing. The herbs I have used were the ones I could find around my home. (Plantain - Plantago major, Yarrow - Achillea millefolium, Comfry - Symphytum officinale, Lavender - Lavandula vera. What you add will be determined by what you want your product to do.) After steeping in the oil for two weeks, I drained out the oil, threw away the spent herbs, put in fresh herbs, refilled with the oil I had just drained, steep for two more weeks. After the oil is drained out, I then add fat/shortening to the mix to thicken to a paste. Just a little melted bees-wax was added at the last minute to make it thicker. (Sorry I don't have any proper recipie to give you. I just use what I have on hand at the time. This also explains the bees-wax when I had too much oil and not enough fat/shortening. I am currently experimenting with rendered sheep-fat. I heard that it contained lanolin. As I work at a meat department that cuts its own meat, I have a good, cheep source.)

            It is my opinion (for whatever that is worth) that a moisturizing cream is a good thing to use when reaching 30 or so. (Younger skin produces enough oils, so there is not much need there.) It is when the skin drys out that ageing becomes noticible. (Go easy on the sun-tan. Just enough to make vitimin D, but not so much as the skin looks like leather, or develops cancer.)

            What you make your cream from will depend on you own beleifs, resorces, and desired results. Hope I was of some use to you.

            Your servant,
            Marguerite Chartier
            Coldwood Shire, East Kingdom

          • KatRavenclaw@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 28, 2005
              At 6 am I turn 32, just today at work one of our new employees guessed I was turning 22 (and very surprised when corrected I might add, I'm not even going to fain modesty on this one) I don't use soap on my face, I use witch hazel sparingly with any hormonal breakouts or after a hot greasy kind of day. I scrub lightly with a cloth and warm-tepid water and rinse with cool. I use very mild baby lotion when my skin gets dry (fall and winter mostly) and around my eyes before bed. I prefer lotions or oils with lavender and/or chamomile. Lavender, mint, chamomile, and even sage make a nice face rinse when steeped fresh and allowed to cool.

              Catriona Inghean ui Dara
            • Ro Bourdeau
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 28, 2005
                Sunscreen and a hat!

                -A'isha (mka Ro)

                Marian Walke <marian@...> wrote:
                Sharon Gordon wrote:
                > Does anyone have recipes for skin creams that you can use starting in your
                > 20s and have your skin still look good 50 years later?

                Well, I'm 66 now and I've been told I have an excellent
                complexion for my age, so I'll share what I was told at 19 and
                have practiced ever since:

                DON'T USE SOAP ON YOUR FACE. EVER.

                The corollary is that you shouldn't use makeup on your face, or
                other stuff that needs to be washed off with soap. Just use
                warm-to-hot water with a rather rough washcloth and give your
                face a really good rub.

                Now that I'm in my 60's, I do use a moisturizer on my face...when
                I remember. After all those years of leaving it alone, I
                sometimes forget. When I compare the skin on my face to that on
                my arms, I wish I had never used soap there either.

                --Old Marian

              • Lila Richards
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 28, 2005
                  Sharon Gordon wrote:

                  >Does anyone have recipes for skin creams that you can use starting in your
                  >20s and have your skin still look good 50 years later?

                  Although I've used commercial cleansers and moisturisers for many years
                  now (I'm 60, and look a lot younger), I do think a lot depends on
                  genetics. Both my parents also looked young for their ages, too.
                  However, I do think most soap is too harsh, unless you can get the
                  old-fashioned kind that doesn't use detergent to make it lather. That
                  might be better. I've tried using just warm water (as suggested by
                  Marion), but I didn't feel it really cleaned my skin.

                  Sinech.

                • Sara Glaze
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 28, 2005
                    People have always guessed me to be 10-15 years younger then I am. My hints are
                    Always wear sunblock. No exceptions not even clouds or its snowing.
                    Always wear sunglasses because you wont squint as much and therefore not wrinkle as much.
                    I use a pepermint and hemp organic soap which is commercially available at GNC
                    I also think genetics plays a very vital role. I am French and Native american both I think have a tendency to age gracefully or at least I am hoping.

                    Sheridan
                    At 6 am I turn 32, just today at work one of our new employees guessed I was turning 22 (and very surprised when corrected I might add, I'm not even going to fain modesty on this one) I don't use soap on my face, I use witch hazel sparingly with any hormonal breakouts or after a hot greasy kind of day. I scrub lightly with a cloth and warm-tepid water and rinse with cool. I use very mild baby lotion when my skin gets dry (fall and winter mostly) and around my eyes before bed. I prefer lotions or oils with lavender and/or chamomile. Lavender, mint, chamomile, and even sage make a nice face rinse when steeped fresh and allowed to cool.

                    Catriona Inghean ui Dara

                  • Avacyn
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 28, 2005
                      OK, my 2 cents here on sunblock... Don't wear sunblock unless you are going to be in prolonged sunlight. I am on a list that sees a lot of people who are regularily tested who come up short on Vit D. Wanna know the biggest culprit, besides the surgerical problems we are on the list for in the first place? Overuse of sunblock. You need Vit. D people. The best way to get it is from the sun. The latest dermatologist research have them backtracking on a lot of what they've been telling us about sunblock since we were kids.

                      I'd say the number one aging factor to women's faces is the daily use of makeup. Most of the women I know who are my age or older (49) and who like me, have never worn make up tend to have better, younger looking skin than the people who use it. All that gooping up your face and then taking it off is just not good for the skin. Of course, I'm only now starting to grey, so it might jut be genetic roll of the dice. Had to show my license to my hairdresser a few months ago to prove to her that I was over 35!
                      Avacyn

                      >People have always guessed me to be 10-15 years younger then I am. My hints are
                      >Always wear sunblock. No exceptions not even clouds or its snowing.
                      >Always wear sunglasses because you wont squint as much and therefore not wrinkle as much.
                      >I use a pepermint and hemp organic soap which is commercially available at GNC
                      >I also think genetics plays a very vital role. I am French and Native american both I think have a tendency to age gracefully or at least I am hoping.
                      >
                      >Sheridan

                      Where am I going again? And why am I in this handbasket?
                    • Angelia Lorance
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 28, 2005
                        --- KatRavenclaw@... wrote:

                        > At 6 am I turn 32,

                        happy birthday!

                        I am only a bit older. Until I gained all this
                        weight, I never passed for my age either, I just
                        reacently grew into it. :P

                        Anyway, my skin is so oily, I never had any problem
                        with it, so I have never used a moisturinzing
                        anything, until I spent 6 months in Maine. (I am
                        originally from TN,) I went thtrough 3 bottles of
                        hemp oil. It was wonderful for the awful dry cold
                        they had up there. I had it in a spray bottle, and
                        the only caution I have for you is watch the bathroom
                        floor, it can get slippery.

                        I really think your best bet is to really assess your
                        skin type. Are you t-zone? oily? dry? match your
                        herbs and moisturizer to that. Butters and fats are
                        going to be a lot more intense of a moisture. Oils
                        vary to what level you get. Olive is wonderful for
                        the skin, but it sits there, and takes forever to go
                        in mine. I like grapeseed for my skin better.

                        As a massage therapist, I have tried a lot of oils.
                        The one I currently use is peanut based, believe it or
                        not. Thankfully, not many people have fussed about
                        the nut allergies, but I keep grapeseed for that. It
                        is such a light oil though, it takes more.

                        I also believe it is how you apply it. Because my
                        skin is as it is, I never had thought of using oil. I
                        now put it in my bath, with my favorite EO, and then
                        shower and exfoiliate, and my skin loves me.

                        Anyway, some suggestions. I also have a wonderful
                        book I picked up many years ago off the clearence
                        table called Health and beauty the natural way. My
                        girls hate when I drag it out, cause it always looks
                        like I have been cooking in the bath tub.

                        Maria

                        Yahoo! Sports
                        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
                      • ysabeau
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 29, 2005
                          I turned 40 in March. I have been told for years that I look
                          younger than I am. I really started to believe it about a month
                          ago. My mom treated me to a microdermabrasion facial. It was
                          interesting and I could tell a big difference in the texture of my
                          skin and it evened up my skin tone a bit. However, the kicker came
                          when the aesthetician started recommending skin care products. She
                          gathered up a bunch of samples and sat down to go over them with
                          me. She said something about my being so young. I laughed and told
                          her I didn't think 40 was that young (she was younger than me or
                          at least looked it). She got this surprised look on her face and
                          asked me if I was joking. When I told her I wasn't, she said that
                          she was going to change her recommendations to give me something
                          for more mature skin because she was recommending stuff designed
                          for 20-somethings. This same aesthitician sees my sister on a
                          regular basis (my sister does the whole nine-yards of botox and
                          restillin, etc). She thought my sister was the older one by
                          several years and my sister is three years younger than me.

                          I've used a variety of things over the years. I started off using
                          the Clinique skin care system when I was about 14. As I got older
                          I used whatever was available but bought Clinique when I could
                          afford it. I switched to Origins (which is a branch of Clinique)
                          about 12 years ago or so. Now I use a combination of products:

                          I use Lush Coalface for cleansing. It is an natural soap that with
                          a base of "detoxifying liquorice root decoction with fragrant
                          rosewood and sandalwood oils to soften and calm the skin". I
                          occasionally follow that with witch hazel, especially during the
                          summer.

                          I follow that with a scrub a couple of times a week. It all
                          depends on what I have on hand.

                          I recently discovered Cellex-C products. They are really pricey
                          and the only way I can afford them is because I can get them at
                          cost. Even at that, they are still pretty expensive. However the
                          results are incredible. There are two serums that I use daily. One
                          is a high potency vitamin C base and I'm not really sure what the
                          other one does but it helps the vitamin C absorption and makes my
                          skin really soft. It isn't a moisturizer though. My skin has never
                          been clearer or softer and the tiny lines at the corner of my eyes
                          are even beginning to go away. The place where I noticed it the
                          most though was my hand. I have a bad scar from surgery to remove
                          a tumor on my left ring finger. It had been tough and discolored
                          but since I started using the Cellex C, it is going back to a
                          natural skin color (instead of white) and it isn't as hard as it
                          was. There are a couple of spots where you almost can't see it.
                          This isn't a new scar. I had the surgery back in '92.

                          I only use moisturizers sparingly because they tend to break me
                          out. I do use a moisturizer with an SPF during the summer but
                          mostly because I'm cheap and don't want to buy new makeup. I don't
                          wear make up often enough to warrant buying a new bottle in a
                          darker tone for the summer. Other than that, I only use sunscreen
                          when I'm going to be out in the sun all day, like on the river or
                          an outdoor event. I've lived all but three years of my life in the
                          tropics or sub-tropics so I've had more than my fair share of sun
                          exposure.

                          Anyway, that is my skincare regimen and it seems to be working for
                          me. I think a lot of it is in the genes.

                          Ysabeau
                          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                          Ansteorra

                          Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net