Herbal Trivia

  • kingstaste@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 3, 2005
      This week's Food Reference Ezine has some trivia questions that are herbal
      in nature. I thought I'd pass them along (I did ok - about half and half).
      Christianna

      3) Cheese has been colored with various plant substances for hundreds of
      years. Yellow/orange coloring may have originally been added to cheese made
      with winter milk from cows eating hay to match the orange hue (from vitamin
      A) of cheeses made with milk from cows fed on green plants. Can you name 3
      plant substances which have been used to color cheese yellow/orange?

      4) The native habitats of this herb are wide indeed, covering the temperate
      and northern parts of Europe, Siberia, and North America. It has a long
      history of use in the kitchen, with some recipes from China going back at
      least 5,000 years. Rumanian Gypsies used it as part of their fortune telling
      rituals, and when dried bunches were hung in the house it was believed to
      drive away disease and evil influences.
      It is a hardy, fast growing herb in the lily family, having clusters of
      usually pink to purple edible flowers and is cultivated for its long slender
      leaves. This herb is used in salad dressings, herb butters and vinegars,
      soups, stews, and croquettes. The flowers are also edible, and make a nice
      addition to salads.
      It contains significant amounts of Vitamins A and C, potassium, calcium,
      iron, and sulfur. It is believed to strengthen nails and teeth, and has
      antibiotic properties. It is said to be an appetite stimulant, relieve high
      blood pressure, and is a natural insect repellent. It inhibits mildew, and
      is used in feed for turkey hatchlings.

      5) A thistlelike Eurasian plant (Carthamus tinctorius) of the daisy family,
      having heads of red or orange flowers that are the source of a red dye. The
      seeds, which look like small pine nuts, contain an oil used in foods
      (especially margarines), cosmetics, paints, and medicine. The flower petals
      are sometimes used as a substitute for saffron.

      6) An aromatic herb, a member of the parsley or carrot family, and
      indigenous to the regions around the Black and Caspian Seas. It is an
      essential ingredient of fines herbes, widely used in French cuisine. Some
      varieties also have edible roots which are like small turnips, and were
      enjoyed by the early Greeks and Romans, and in England during the 14th to
      17th centuries.

      7) They are the product of a southeast Asian evergreen shrub or tree with a
      rough bark, cup-shaped flowers and dark, glossy leaves with or without
      serrated edges (from 2 to 10 inches in length), and in the wild the plant
      can reach a height of over 60 feet. The fruit is a smooth, flat, rounded,
      three-celled capsule with one seed in each cell, the size of a small nut.
      The seeds contain a volatile oil.
      Some believe the holy Buddhist saint Daruma grew the first plant in the
      6th century. He cut his eyelids out to stay awake while meditating (for 5
      years) and where he threw his eyelids, the plant grew. Others believe that
      they were first discovered in 2737 B.C. due to sloppy housekeeping. Parts of
      this plant were used as a medicine in China for 4,000 years and the ancient
      Greeks used them for asthma, colds and bronchitis. In 1560 Father Jasper de
      Cruz, a Portuguese Jesuit, was the first European to personally encounter
      and write about this plant. In France, Louis XIV's doctor prescribed a
      tisane of the leaves for his royal headaches. Russian scientists were
      partial to them. Introduced to Dutch society in 1610, they soon became
      popular (initially they cost $100 per pound), and were the rage in Paris in
      the mid 1630s.

      Scroll Down for Answers......

      3) Annatto seed, carrot juice and marigold petals.

      4) Chives.

      5) Safflower.

      6) Chervil.

      7) Tea leaves.

      Food Reference Newsletter ISSN 1535-5659
      James T Ehler (Publisher & Editor)
      3920 S Roosevelt Blvd
      Suite 209 South
      Key West, Florida 33040
      E-mail: james@... Phone: (305) 296-2614
      Food Reference WebSite: http://www.foodreference.com

      --HOW TO SUBSCRIBE OR REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THIS NEWSETTER LIST--

      To SUBSCRIBE to this newsletter, send an email with SUBSCRIBE in the Subject
      Line to: subscribe@...
    • Lyn Tonnessen
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 6, 2005
        Hi all. You were all so efficient in your suggestions about snails, I
        thought I'd pose my problem to the group.

        I live in an apartment, so I must make do with a container garden.
        Luckily, though, I have a patio where my container garden may live. My
        problem? Gray squirrels with absolutely no fear. I live in a highly
        suburban area (Columbia, MD), and the squirrels are savaging my dill
        and chives, digging them up. Strangely, they have left my basil, sage,
        lavender, tarragon, and rosemary alone.

        Any suggestions? I don't really have the capacity for hanging the pots
        (though I may try that anyway).
        --
        Lyn Tonnessen
        Grad student, Fan, and part-time geek

        "Sir, I think you have a problem with your brain being missing." -Zoe
        (Gina Torres), 'Firefly: The Train Job'
      • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 6, 2005
          > I live in an apartment, so I must make do with a container garden.
          > Luckily, though, I have a patio where my container garden may live. My
          > problem? Gray squirrels with absolutely no fear. I live in a highly
          > suburban area (Columbia, MD), and the squirrels are savaging my dill
          > and chives, digging them up. Strangely, they have left my basil, sage,
          > lavender, tarragon, and rosemary alone.

          One thing is that they appear to be attracted to areas of open dirt,
          where they think they might have buried something last year. Moving your
          plants around and covering the dirt with something (especially if you
          put some cayenne pepper on top) sometimes helps. I have the same problem
          though, and nothing completely helps.

          "All of us have special ones who have loved us into being. Would you
          just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have
          helped you become who you are. " -- Mr. Fred Rogers
        • Leslie S
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 6, 2005
            I have container gardens at my apartment too and have fought off the infamous grey squirrels! And
            worse, I'm on the ground floor. They do not like Rosemary or Sage. I have planted both rosemary
            and sage each year for 5 years and since have not had a problem with them digging in my plants
            since. They are also said to not like marigolds. I haven't tested this plant yet. FYI...Chipmunks
            also do not like rosemary and sage. Now if I could find a way to keep the neighborhood children
            out of them... (sigh)

            Leslie

            --- Lyn Tonnessen <lyntonnessen@...> wrote:

            > Hi all. You were all so efficient in your suggestions about snails, I
            > thought I'd pose my problem to the group.
            >
            > I live in an apartment, so I must make do with a container garden.
            > Luckily, though, I have a patio where my container garden may live. My
            > problem? Gray squirrels with absolutely no fear. I live in a highly
            > suburban area (Columbia, MD), and the squirrels are savaging my dill
            > and chives, digging them up. Strangely, they have left my basil, sage,
            > lavender, tarragon, and rosemary alone.
            >
            > Any suggestions? I don't really have the capacity for hanging the pots
            > (though I may try that anyway).
            > --
            > Lyn Tonnessen
            > Grad student, Fan, and part-time geek
            >
            > "Sir, I think you have a problem with your brain being missing." -Zoe
            > (Gina Torres), 'Firefly: The Train Job'

            Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that stood its ground.

            __________________________________
            Discover Yahoo!
            http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
          • KatRavenclaw@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 6, 2005
              I don't have a huge squirrel problem but the occasional one will bury something in my pots. My husband has come up with an unusual solution... He has trained our 2 yr old to chase them away. Any simulation of a predator seems to work just as well. If you stand the smell, try synthetic predator urine sprays found at your larger garden centers.

              KAT
            • Beth Beaver
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 6, 2005
                I am having a similar problem. I read some time ago( and now cannot find
                the information) about a planting a squirrel garden. It is plants squirrels
                particulary like so they leave your plants alone. Anybody know anything
                about this?

                Beth Beaver

                > I live in an apartment, so I must make do with a container garden.
                > Luckily, though, I have a patio where my container garden may live. My
                > problem? Gray squirrels with absolutely no fear. I live in a highly
                > suburban area (Columbia, MD), and the squirrels are savaging my dill
                > and chives, digging them up. Strangely, they have left my basil, sage,
                > lavender, tarragon, and rosemary alone.

                One thing is that they appear to be attracted to areas of open dirt,
                where they think they might have buried something last year. Moving your
                plants around and covering the dirt with something (especially if you
                put some cayenne pepper on top) sometimes helps. I have the same problem
                though, and nothing completely helps.

                "All of us have special ones who have loved us into being. Would you
                just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have
                helped you become who you are. " -- Mr. Fred Rogers

              • tmartell48854
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 6, 2005
                  --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Lyn Tonnessen <lyntonnessen@g...>
                  wrote:
                  Try surrounding the pots they do like with the ones they don't, get a
                  dog, get a cat, get a 2 year old (loved that suggestion) learn to love
                  them and share a special pot with them.
                  Squirrels are one of the most tenacious beasties I've met. Hanging the
                  pots will inspire them to circus tricks, but it won't stop them.

                  Good Luck
                  Anthoinette
                  squirrels are savaging my dill
                  > and chives, digging them up. Strangely, they have left my basil, sage,
                  > lavender, tarragon, and rosemary alone.
                  >
                  > Any suggestions? I don't really have the capacity for hanging the pots
                  > (though I may try that anyway).
                  > --
                  > Lyn Tonnessen
                  > Grad student, Fan, and part-time geek
                  >
                  > "Sir, I think you have a problem with your brain being missing." -Zoe
                  > (Gina Torres), 'Firefly: The Train Job'
                • Carowyn Silveroak
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 6, 2005
                    Greetings,

                    > My problem? Gray squirrels with absolutely no fear. I live in a highly
                    > suburban area (Columbia, MD), and the squirrels are savaging my
                    > dill and chives, digging them up. Strangely, they have left my basil,
                    > sage, lavender, tarragon, and rosemary alone.

                    You won't like my solution, though it works.....

                    Slingshot. They get the hint real quick that you're Not a Friendly Place
                    to Be.

                    If you go with the hanging pot idea, don't forget to put baffles on the
                    line, or the [expletive deleted] will still eat 'em.

                    -Carowyn, who likes squirrel stew
                  • Sara Glaze
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 6, 2005
                      I have squirrels or lizards eating the tops off my brocolli. I am going to try to surrond the garden with pepper spray that we have to keep the cats out. Anybody have any other suggestions.

                      Thanks
                      Sheridan
                      Try surrounding the pots they do like with the ones they don't, get a
                      dog, get a cat, get a 2 year old (loved that suggestion) learn to love
                      them and share a special pot with them.
                      Squirrels are one of the most tenacious beasties I've met.  Hanging the
                      pots will inspire them to circus tricks, but it won't stop them.

                      Good Luck
                      Anthoinette
                      squirrels are savaging my dill
                      > and chives, digging them up. Strangely, they have left my basil, sage,
                      > lavender, tarragon, and rosemary alone.
                      >
                      > Any suggestions? I don't really have the capacity for hanging the pots
                      > (though I may try that anyway).
                      > --
                      > Lyn Tonnessen
                      > Grad student, Fan, and part-time geek
                      >
                      > "Sir, I think you have a problem with your brain being missing." -Zoe
                      > (Gina Torres), 'Firefly: The Train Job'

                    • Adhaniá
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 6, 2005
                        Only wish the suggestions would WORK!!!

                        Adhaniá

                        > Hi all. You were all so efficient in your suggestions about snails,
                        snip
                      • Taiz Mystic
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 6, 2005
                          I have had problems with squirrels too. I grow my plants in half whiskey barrels. Well my bell pepper and tomato plants have been eaten and disappeared. I finally had to get some chicken wire and ring the barrel...so far the plants left are fine.

                          Damiana

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 7, 2005
                            My father had some luck with squirrels using vaseline to coat the pole
                            of the (in this case) birdfeeder he was trying to protect. Not only does it
                            keep the critters out, it provided some entertainment to my father....

                            Agatha
                          • carrig37421
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 7, 2005
                              Greetings -

                              > and the squirrels are savaging my dill and chives, digging them up.

                              are they eating them? or just digging them up?

                              If they are eating them then you have pre-seasoned meat to cook with
                              >:) Not to mention other SCA skills to work on such a hide tanning
                              (fur on or off) and leather working ;) ------ when I was a kid part of
                              my chores was being sentry at garden, just me and my trusty Red Ryder
                              bb gun collecting squirrel and rabbit and partially eaten tomatoes and
                              cantolopes etc for the evening meal ;)

                              If that's too gross for you then you might consider live-catching them
                              and transporting to a kingdom far far away
                              http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/trapsl.htm I used live catch and
                              transport for years in an Atlanta condo because the Property
                              (mis)Managers were too *&^%$#@! cheap to repair the chimney screens,
                              so, when the wee beasties got hungry and smelled food wafting up the
                              chimney, down they came.

                              ***** probably by far the easiest and least expensive---

                              You might consider making container covers from chicken wire etc - I
                              am in the seasonal process of screening my own garden from wild
                              rabbits and dove and quail and crow and rats and mice, and yea-verily
                              even slugs (with copper wire - results to be forthcoming....), so if
                              you wish to send me pics and dimensions of your containers I'll design
                              covers and send you construction sketches.

                              yis,
                              Carrig
                            • Angelia Lorance
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 7, 2005
                                > ***** probably by far the easiest and least
                                > expensive---
                                >
                                > You might consider making container covers from
                                > chicken wire etc -

                                I have often heard people doing this 'round here, esp
                                for bulb type stuff that they are digging up and
                                eating. They can ruin a bulb bed.

                                Maria

                                __________________________________
                                Discover Yahoo!
                                http://discover.yahoo.com/
                              • Carowyn Silveroak
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 14, 2005
                                  Greetings!

                                  >I have squirrels or lizards eating the tops off
                                  my broccoli.

                                  *blink!*

                                  Lizards???

                                  Where are you?

                                  -Carowyn, who will worry greatly if I start having lizard problems!  ;-)
                                • TERESA597@AOL.COM
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 14, 2005
                                    Okay, I have put off telling you all about this for too long, now. I cannot contain the secret any longer!

                                    Most wild animals will shy away from the "scent of a predator".

                                    I know that this may seem immodest for some, but have you tried "marking your territory"?    By this I mean, saving your own urine and simply pouring it around the area.  I cannot detect the scent, but evidently the beasties can, even after a rainstorm. I know it works for me and I have armadillos, voles, squirrels, rabbits, wild dogs and deer.  I "refresh" the scent about once a month.

                                    Good Gardening to you!

                                    ~ Kerstyn Gartener, MKA Teresa Olson

                                  • Sara Glaze
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 15, 2005
                                      Oh Trimaris or Southern Florida. We have wild Iquana's and Chamelions and a couple of other creepy things that I have seen in the back yard. I am pretty sure its on of them in the garden. May move the sage back there though since its  in a container see if it helps. The rosemary is already there.

                                      Thanks
                                      Sheridan
                                      >I have squirrels or lizards eating the tops off my broccoli.

                                      *blink!*

                                      Lizards???

                                      Where are you?

                                      -Carowyn, who will worry greatly if I start having lizard problems!  ;-)

                                    • Ro Bourdeau
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 15, 2005
                                        And for those of us who are more modest, you can get bobcat and fox urine from the local Agway to keep the pests away.

                                        -A'isha (mka Ro)

                                        P.S. Some critters aren't detered by the scent of human urine. While camping along the AT, I had a VERY close encounter with a deer at about 4 am while answering the call of nature (he came to within three feet of me wondering what I was doing). There are no bathrooms in the backcountry and given the number of animals I've seen while camping (and I've gone backpacking for over 17 years), I guess I don't produce enough of a "predator scent".

                                        TERESA597@... wrote:
                                        Okay, I have put off telling you all about this for too long, now. I cannot contain the secret any longer!

                                        Most wild animals will shy away from the "scent of a predator".

                                        I know that this may seem immodest for some, but have you tried "marking your territory"?    By this I mean, saving your own urine and simply pouring it around the area.  I cannot detect the scent, but evidently the beasties can, even after a rainstorm. I know it works for me and I have armadillos, voles, squirrels, rabbits, wild dogs and deer.  I "refresh" the scent about once a month.

                                        Good Gardening to you!

                                        ~ Kerstyn Gartener, MKA Teresa Olson

                                      • jenneheise
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 15, 2005
                                          > Most wild animals will shy away from the "scent of a predator".
                                          >
                                          > I know that this may seem immodest for some, but have you tried
                                          "marking your
                                          > territory"? By this I mean, saving your own urine and simply
                                          pouring it
                                          > around the area. I cannot detect the scent, but evidently the
                                          beasties can,
                                          > even after a rainstorm. I know it works for me and I have
                                          armadillos, voles,
                                          > squirrels, rabbits, wild dogs and deer. I "refresh" the scent about
                                          once a month.

                                          Hm... I wonder if the medieval custom of country commoners 'retiring
                                          to a bowshot from the house' to relieve themselves helped keep wild
                                          animals out of the front and back gardens?
                                        • Beth Beaver
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 15, 2005
                                            Good idea, thanks. I just went to the store today and found an herbal remedy
                                            of thyme oil, pepermint oil and white pepper. It is in an inorganic
                                            material that you spread around. It wears off too.I really think marking my
                                            territory is a marvelous idea. That is what animals do. :)

                                            Thanks

                                            Beth Beaver

                                            > Most wild animals will shy away from the "scent of a predator".
                                            >
                                            > I know that this may seem immodest for some, but have you tried
                                            "marking your
                                            > territory"? By this I mean, saving your own urine and simply
                                            pouring it
                                            > around the area. I cannot detect the scent, but evidently the
                                            beasties can,
                                            > even after a rainstorm. I know it works for me and I have
                                            armadillos, voles,
                                            > squirrels, rabbits, wild dogs and deer. I "refresh" the scent about
                                            once a month.

                                            Hm... I wonder if the medieval custom of country commoners 'retiring
                                            to a bowshot from the house' to relieve themselves helped keep wild
                                            animals out of the front and back gardens?

                                          • baronessleri
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 17, 2005
                                              The sage and rosemary, if planted, can help to deter cabbage moths
                                              too. The essential oils that are secreted seep into the ground via
                                              the roots and over a couple of years become a great organic repellent.

                                              Marigolds work this way too, to deter nematodes from vegetables
                                              planted around the flowers. Tomato, eggplant, pepper, even
                                              strawberries.

                                              eLeri

                                              --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Sara Glaze" <sheridan_du@c...>
                                              wrote:
                                              > Oh Trimaris or Southern Florida. We have wild Iquana's and
                                              Chamelions and a couple of other creepy things that I have seen in
                                              the back yard. I am pretty sure its on of them in the garden. May
                                              move the sage back there though since its in a container see if it
                                              helps. The rosemary is already there.

                                              > Thanks
                                              > Sheridan

                                              Service.
                                            • Carowyn Silveroak
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 27, 2005
                                                Greetings!

                                                >Oh Trimaris or Southern Florida. We have wild
                                                Iquana's and >Chamelions and a couple of other creepy things that I have seen in the >back yard. I am pretty sure its on of them in the garden. May move the >sage back there though since its  in a container see if it helps. The >rosemary is already there.

                                                *blink*  OK, I remember chameleons, I remember them raining out of the trees while we were at a DK at Sanibel Island.  It is very disconcerting to worry that a leetle leezard's going to plop into your cheeseburger, or ice cream.....  That was the day I tried to save every starfish on the planet, it seemed.....

                                                *shakes self back to the present*

                                                I don't remember wild iguanas!  *That* is a new herbal problem!  And I have absolutely no idea how to help you....maybe chicken wire??

                                                -Carowyn, who only has the feral cats raiding the "stash" (wild catnip) and a roaming skunk.....
                                              • lubgort
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 4, 2005
                                                  Greetings to all.

                                                  I know this is a little late in responding, but I have an easy and
                                                  safe way to keep the squirrels away. Go to your garden center and
                                                  buy a small package called "Squirrel Away". It is a very strong
                                                  pepper that is ground up to powder form. It is used to mix with
                                                  bird seed to keep them out of bird feeders. But, if you spray your
                                                  plants with water, then dust your plants with the Squirrel Away, I
                                                  think you will find this works fine. It will last as long as the
                                                  pepper doesn't wash off the plants. I used it in my yard in a
                                                  corner where kids were hanging out, and it lasted for better than a
                                                  month, even with several bouts of rain. The pepper will make you
                                                  sneeze if you inhale it. It has kept the kids away and the
                                                  squirrels out of my bird feeder. I don't use the amounts that is
                                                  recommended on the package. I use less and it has worked wonders
                                                  for me. I have filled the birdfeed only twice using this and the
                                                  squirrels stay away. I only have to use the stuff in the feeder
                                                  when I fill up after 4-6 times. The squirrels will come back and
                                                  check from time to time.

                                                  Hope this helps.....

                                                  Cairistiona