Sunburn Remedy help

  • Dianiam ingen Eochada
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3 10:45 AM

      Good Afternoon,

      My husband has psoriasis and has been going for light therapy for over 6 months.  Well, needless to say he has been getting burned 2 – 3 times per week.  Does anyone have a sunburn recipe that they are wiling to share?  Both he and I can’t stand the smell of the commercial Aloe Vera Gel.  Because we are in the Northeast, the choices for commercial Aloe Vera Gel is very small, most put a horrible fragrance in it and I can’t find a natural one.

      Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

      Lady Dianaim ingen Eochada

      Barony of Smoking Rocks

    • Avacyn
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3 12:47 PM
        Infuse St. John's wort in the lightest oil you can find (olive, almond, whatever you can get). Add a few drops of lavender oil per cup of infused St. John's. This is somewhat effective against sunburn.
        Avacyn

        >Good Afternoon,
        >
        >My husband has psoriasis and has been going for light therapy for over 6 months. Well, needless to say he has been getting burned 2 – 3 times per week. Does anyone have a sunburn recipe that they are wiling to share? Both he and I can’t stand the smell of the commercial Aloe Vera Gel. Because we are in the Northeast, the choices for commercial Aloe Vera Gel is very small, most put a horrible fragrance in it and I can’t find a natural one.
        >
        >Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        >Lady Dianaim ingen Eochada
        >Barony of Smoking Rocks

        Where am I going again? And why am I in this handbasket?
      • silveroak@juno.com
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3 1:13 PM
          Greetings!

          I have to be careful of my sun exposure, since I'm white as a ghost and burn in about 10 minutes' direct exposure. Here's what I use:

          1) Calendula gel (I swear by this stuff, even though others don't, and that's OK)

          2) Calendula petals soaked in vodka, lemon juice added to the mix with pulp, slather the whole mix as a poultice onto the affected area

          3) For small localized burns, like from a hot pewter splash (whistles innocently), I use a fresh lemon slice. Loooove my lemons!

          Hope this helps!

          -Carowyn
        • otsisto
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3 1:21 PM
            Are you asking for a preventative or a afterburn remedy?

            If it is afterburn, you need to cool down with vinegar or peppermint water or just plain ol' cool water (in a pinch, menthol shaving cream if the burn is not blistering). You must remove the heat before applying any salves, or oils as the salves and oils will hold the heat in and make things worse. Kind of like cookies from the oven, you pull them out but they  bake a little longer while cooling down. Check with your local health food store or section in a store and see if they have aloe that doesn't have the perfume.
            There are menthol aloes that can be obtained  in most stores, sometimes under the name of blue ice.
            You can also try a compress of sorrel. And sometimes sorrel tea can help alleviate the effects of sunstroke and heat exhaustion. (test sample to make sure you are not allergic)
            2 parts St. John's wort to 1 part Lavender to 1 part almond oil is good for after the heat is gone.
            The best way to deal with sunburn is preventive medicine. What areas is he getting burned and what can be done to protect it so that it has less of a chance to burn. If sunscreen can not be used then can it be covered with cloth?

            Lyse

            Message 5 of 14 , May 3 1:32 PM
              Fascinating, I haven't tried that but I heard from someone that uses
              calendula tea with unflavored gelatin that it worked well on burns. Though
              he had to keep it in the frig. and change it every three weeks.

              Lyse

            • kingstaste@mindspring.com
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3 4:36 PM
                >Lyse said:
                >Fascinating, I haven't tried that but I heard from someone that uses
                >calendula tea with unflavored gelatin that it worked well on burns. Though
                >he had to keep it in the frig. and change it every three weeks.

                Any herbal preparation will go bad after 3-5 days, I suppose the gelatin
                retards the spoilage but three weeks is a really good time for something
                like this to keep. You WANT to make it fresh, not have some sort of
                preservative in it that could irritate the skin further.

                >Lady Dianaim queried on behalf of her husband:

                >My husband has psoriasis and has been going for light therapy for over 6
                months. Well, needless >to say he has been getting burned 2 – 3 times per
                week. Does anyone have a sunburn recipe that >they are wiling to share?
                Both he and I can’t stand the smell of the commercial Aloe Vera Gel.
                >Because we are in the Northeast, the choices for commercial Aloe Vera Gel
                is very small, most >put a horrible fragrance in it and I can’t find a
                natural one.

                You've got a couple of issues going on here.
                For the aloe gel, aloe is the best for burns, hands down. However, the
                packaged gel is a pale substitute for the fresh plant. Try going to a local
                nursery (do you have Pike's up there?) and buying a large aloe vera plant.
                I got my last pot of two plants at a WalMart for 5 bucks, so it is cheap
                even if you intend to hack it to bits. Slice off sections of the plant and
                cut off the spines from the sides of each rib. Then take off one side of
                the skin (the flat side, if there is one), so you have an exposed length of
                pulp. Apply it as a poultice to the affected area, keeping it on with a
                wrap of towel or cheesecloth for large areas, or with a bandaid for smaller
                areas. Keep it in place for 20 minutes at a time or so, letting the skin
                breathe and dry a bit in-between. Make a point of doing it as soon as his
                treatment is over, don't wait for the burn to show up. This works really
                well for big burns, although I know people usually don't do anything but
                squeeze some of the juice on a small burn.
                As for the light treatments, are they helping? Psoraisis is an internal
                problem, and can be dealt with by adjusting diet (for example eliminating
                problem foods such as dairy, wheat, or other grains depending on individual
                sensitivities)and with supplements such as Essential Fatty Acids. I can
                highly recommend "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by James and Phyllis
                Balch. It has become popular enough recently that it can be found in the
                pharmacy department of a large grocery store and other large retailers like
                Wally World, etc. (I'm a stead-fast believer in my co-op, but I know not
                everyone has access to a good one.) I'm sure you've tried lots of things,
                but having dealt with scalp issues since I was a kid (hated those pine tar
                soap shampoos - uck!), I know first hand that topical applications never
                work for long. Your skin is your largest elimination organ, it pays to look
                at what your body is having trouble eliminating.
                If he is taking other supplements, make sure he isn't on any St. John's
                Wort internally. One of the reasons it works for mood issues is that it
                increases light sensitivity, so it is counter-indicated in cases of
                increased light exposure. This is not the same as using it in an external
                application.

                Good luck,
                Mistress Christianna MacGrain, Meridies
              • Lexie Duvall
                Message 7 of 14 , May 3 5:33 PM
                  I know this is going to sound strange, but it really works for both.  I'd burned my scalp and at the time was using this natural Sray Leave-In Conditioner and I noticed my burn stopped burning and itching right after I'd sprayed it in my hair the next morning.  I used it for a couple of days and felt better, then used it on any burn I'd gotten, now I swear by it...and the juice doesn't have perfume.

                  Spray Leave-In Conditioner/and now Sunburn Spray

                  Ingredients:
                  a.. 4 oz aloe vera juice
                  b.. 3 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
                  c.. 3 drops Lavender Essential Oil
                  d.. 2 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil

                  Directions
                  Put aloe vera juice into a 4 oz sprayer bottle. Add essential oils to the
                  mixture - you can leave out the rosemary and substitute it for grapefruit EO if
                  you like (supposed to be better for blondes). You can also leave out the
                  grapefruit EO if you like. This isn't oily or sticky on my hair. I apply it
                  after getting out of the shower - just shake and spray onto damp hair. Dry hair
                  like normal. The rosemary "green" scent will fade as the hair dries. I use this
                  to help as a detangler, and it leaves my hair feeling soft, but not greasy

                • KatRavenclaw@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3 6:10 PM
                    i used to work in a coffee shop and got burned all the time. I used plain old black tea (orange pekoe and aloe juice (not jell, juice from a health food store) the tannins in the tea both soothe and promote healing, a poultice or frozen cubes are great

                    KAT
                  • Adhaniá
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 3 6:36 PM
                      How about using fresh aloe vera from the leaves?  Get a plant, grow it up some, pick and split a leaf anytime you need one.  Squeeze out the fresh gel and apply to skin.

                      Adhaniá

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 3 7:47 PM
                        My favorite is still applecider vinegar packs. it sooths the sting and
                        speeds healing. i also have a honey dusting powder that soothes and provides
                        a cushion between burn and clothing.
                        roma

                        >Infuse St. John's wort in the lightest oil you can find (olive, almond,
                        >whatever you can get). Add a few drops of lavender oil per cup of infused
                        >St. John's. This is somewhat effective against sunburn.
                        >Avacyn
                        >
                        > >Good Afternoon,
                        > >
                        > >My husband has psoriasis and has been going for light therapy for over 6
                        >months. Well, needless to say he has been getting burned 2 � 3 times per
                        >week. Does anyone have a sunburn recipe that they are wiling to share?
                        >Both he and I can�t stand the smell of the commercial Aloe Vera Gel.
                        >Because we are in the Northeast, the choices for commercial Aloe Vera Gel
                        >is very small, most put a horrible fragrance in it and I can�t find a
                        >natural one.
                        > >
                        > >Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
                        > >
                        > >Lady Dianaim ingen Eochada
                        > >Barony of Smoking Rocks
                        >

                        >Where am I going again? And why am I in this handbasket?

                      • Ro Bourdeau

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 3 8:41 PM
                            At 08:12 PM 5/3/2005, you wrote:
                            >Aloe vera is a very easy plant to grow and found in most nurseries (at
                            >least where I would shop in NY and CT). I used to keep on near my kitchen
                            >for years for sunburns and cooking burns. Just take off a leaf, squeeze
                            >out the gel and apply to burn.

                            i also know people who filet the leaves (?? fronds, stalks dont quite know
                            the correct terminology for succulents) and use them that way, a few who
                            swear by them wrapped with gauze on joints to help chronic pain & arthritis
                            jason
                          • kingstaste@mindspring.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 3 8:57 PM
                              Both this vinegar remedy and the black tea remedy are going to be very
                              drying, something the psoraisis does not need. Great for regular sunburns
                              I'm sure, but just thought I'd throw this out here - when giving ideas, be
                              aware and try to put them in educational, not prescriptive terms.
                              Christianna
                              (mundanely studying holistic nutrition)

                              My favorite is still applecider vinegar packs. it sooths the sting and
                              speeds healing. i also have a honey dusting powder that soothes and provides
                              a cushion between burn and clothing.
                              roma

                              >Infuse St. John's wort in the lightest oil you can find (olive, almond,
                              >whatever you can get). Add a few drops of lavender oil per cup of infused
                              >St. John's. This is somewhat effective against sunburn.
                              >Avacyn
                              >
                              > >Good Afternoon,
                              > >
                              > >My husband has psoriasis and has been going for light therapy for over 6
                              >months. Well, needless to say he has been getting burned 2 – 3 times per
                              >week. Does anyone have a sunburn recipe that they are wiling to share?
                              >Both he and I can’t stand the smell of the commercial Aloe Vera Gel.
                              >Because we are in the Northeast, the choices for commercial Aloe Vera Gel
                              >is very small, most put a horrible fragrance in it and I can’t find a
                              >natural one.
                              > >
                              > >Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
                              > >
                              > >Lady Dianaim ingen Eochada
                              > >Barony of Smoking Rocks
                              >

                              >Where am I going again? And why am I in this handbasket?

                            • Lila Richards
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 4 3:45 AM
                                Jason Costarakis wrote:

                                >i also know people who filet the leaves (?? fronds, stalks dont quite know
                                >the correct terminology for succulents) and use them that way,

                                That's what I do - they're great for sunburn!

                                > a few who
                                >swear by them wrapped with gauze on joints to help chronic pain & arthritis

                                I haven't come across this use - must give it a try for my arthritis.

                                Sinech.