"Stillroom"

  • kingstaste@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 16, 2005
      We are discussing creating a new A&S category to pick up things like
      rosewater, cordials, infused oils and vinegars, and dried herb mixtures. I
      suggested that things like soapmaking, recipes using soap like the Cleansing
      Ball recipe out of Digby, health and beauty aids such as the wash to remove
      pimples (corns) and rinses for the hair, and possibly cosmetics should also
      be added. The term "Stillroom Arts" was suggested as the category name, and
      someone asked where the term came from (not a cook ;). I thought it would
      be a simple thing to toss the answer back out, but as it turns out, it
      isn't. This is what I've come up with this morning between my OED and
      Google, can anyone help me out with an actual period quote using the term?
      (Jadwiga, I've been to your site already this morning :)
      Christianna

      From the OED:
      Stillroom: 1710. a.Hist. Orig., a room in a house which a still was kept
      for the distillation of perfumes and cordials. b. Later, a room in which
      preserves, cakes, liqueurs, etc. are kept, and tea, coffee, etc. are
      prepared. "A hundred years ago, every lady in the country had her
      still-room." Thackeray.

      From an ad on Amazon:
      The Elizabethan Stillroom was the housekeepers domain, where she distilled
      essences and extracted oils form herbs and flowers to flavor her recipes and
      made the natural lotions and potions for the household. Elizabethan England
      produces genuine stillroom recipes from the sixteenth century, during which
      Queen Elizabeth I reigned.

      "Knowledge was passed on by word of mouth and usually by the Stillroom Book,
      wherein all of the remedies, formulas, types of herbs and their uses,
      sicknesses and what was administered and to what effect, were recorded by
      the Lady herself or a scribe, for future use."
      http://inspie3.home.mindspring.com/

      Hm, but I can't find an actual period reference for the word right off -
      the OED date would be the first time it appeared in print, and Thackeray is
      writing in the early half of the 19th century. I'm sure I can track down a
      reference from our period, though.
      Christianna
    • Marisa
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 16, 2005
        Does this help?

        Marisa

        kingstaste@... wrote:
        We are discussing creating a new A&S category to pick up things like
        rosewater, cordials, infused oils and vinegars, and dried herb mixtures.  I
        suggested that things like soapmaking, recipes using soap like the Cleansing
        Ball recipe out of Digby, health and beauty aids such as the wash to remove
        pimples (corns) and rinses for the hair, and possibly cosmetics should also
        be added.  The term "Stillroom Arts" was suggested as the category name, and
        someone asked where the term came from (not a cook ;).  I thought it would
        be a simple thing to toss the answer back out, but as it turns out, it
        isn't.  This is what I've come up with this morning between my OED and
        Google, can anyone help me out with an actual period quote using the term?
        (Jadwiga, I've been to your site already this morning :)
        Christianna

        From the OED:
              Stillroom: 1710. a.Hist. Orig., a room in a house which a still was kept
        for the distillation of perfumes and cordials.  b. Later, a room in which
        preserves, cakes, liqueurs, etc. are kept, and tea, coffee, etc. are
        prepared.  "A hundred years ago, every lady in the country had her
        still-room." Thackeray.

        From an ad on Amazon:
[...]

        "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."

        -Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • kingstaste@mindspring.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28, 2005
          Thanks for the links, but no, they really don't help.  I was looking for specific references using the word in period sources.  I have been supplied with a few, including:

          Also check out cabinets and closets. Folger did an exhibit some years back--
          The Housewife's Rich Cabinet: Remedies, Recipes,& Helpful Hints, by Jean
          Miller, Francie Owens, and Rachel Doggett with an Introduction by
          Heloise. Washington, DC, 1997, 142 pp., 30 illus., paper, $7.95 (plus
          postage and handling). which covered this subject.
          http://www.folger.edu/html/exhibitions/housewifes_richcabinet/
          So it could be called Closet or Cabinet Secrets too.
          Johnnae
          Johnna Holloway [johnna@...]

          OED
          Stillatory, n.
          2. A place where distillery is carried on; a still-room; a still-house, distillery.
          1602 PLAT Delights Ladies Epist. (1611) A3, The Quince, Pomgranate,..Are
          heere maintain'd,..For Ladies closets and their stillatories. 1604 R. CAWDREY Table Alph.,
          Stillatorie, a distilling place. 1624 WOTTON Elem. Archit. I. 8 All Offices that require heat, as
          Kitchins, Stillatories..or the like would be Meridionall. c1710 C. FIENNES Diary (1888) 7 So many
          little buildings apart from each other..one for a stillitory. 1796 Stat. Acc. Scot. XVII. 294 Here is a
          stillatory which pays to the revenue £729 per annum.
          3. attrib. 1561-2 in Rep. Middleton MSS. (Hist. MSS. Comm. 1911) 417 Paied to the
          smythe for makynge and mendynge a locke for the styllytary howse dore. 1586 BRIGHT Melanch. xxvii.
          156 Placed over the rest as a stillitorye helme ouer the bodie.

          There are older uses of the word, but they are specific to a still rather
          than a stillroom. I would suggest "stillatory arts/sciences" if you wish to use a word that
          was used in period.
          Huette
          Huette von Ahrens [ahrenshav@...]

          But thanks for thinking of me!