Sage treatise

  • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2005
      Pardon the bandwidth and me tooting my own horn.

      I have wrestled with my Sage Treatise and someone won. I intended for
      this to be my masterwork, so basically I feel obliged to pass it out to
      the world for comment.

      This is the treatise that I submitted to the Laurel Prize Tourney in
      Carolingia, with the challenge to write a treatise on a period subject
      in a period style. (pre-1600).
      I wrote mine from the point of view of the late 1500s, though some of my
      references are post 1600s.
      Since a period style is basically wholesale plagiarism, I tried to go
      back and insert some sort of notes explaining the whole mess. So, here
      the docs are:
      The treatise, in a nice period-like font (PDF):
      http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/herbs/documents/sage.pdf
      The text with all the endnotes, in PDF because I can't face trying to
      make the notes work in HTML right now:
      http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/herbs/documents/sage_with_notes.pdf
      and the treatise itself in HTML:
      http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/herbs/SageTreatise.htm

      Pardon if this comes across as showing off... I would really like
      comments and feedback on the darn thing. I also figure that if I'm going
      to release it out into the world I'd better tell people it's coming,
      before they find it cited in some wierd paper on the Internet.

      "Even monsters don't like to be misunderstood." - J. Von Culin
    • Avacyn
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2005
        Someone, and I think it was here, said they were selling period herbs. I thought I had saved the post, but lost it. Anyway, if it was anyone here, would you please contact me, perhaps send a list (prices too of course). I'm putting together a class on Smells of the Middle Ages and I would like to include a few herbs and spices that people might not be as familiar with. I'm open to suggestions. Thank you.
        L. Avacyn

        Where am I going again? And why am I in this handbasket?
      • Willow York
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 25, 2005
          I am not personally well versed in period writing
          styles, but that was beautiful! You did a wonderful
          job and one can admire the detail and time that it
          must have took.
          Well done!

          Cheers
          Lady Julianna of York
          (formally Lady Annora of York)

        • SilverLoon2001@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 26, 2005
            Panni Jadwiga (hmmm, should I wait until next weekend to write, when I can add a different salutation?!)

            Well, I will not wait, but will let you know now that I thoroughly enjoyed your Sage Treatise: for the information, for the style, and for the humour.  I have printed it in its many forms and expect to be inspired for some time to come.

            Thank you for sharing.  And no, it did not look like "showing off" in the least.

            ~ Hedewigis.