RE: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: How does your garden grow?

  • otsisto
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 22, 2005
      Though this doesn't help with keeping deer and such away. I have found that
      if you have poor soil you can do a bag garden method.
      Purchase bags of soil, arrange them on the ground flat on one side (not top
      or bottom) Open the side facing up by cutting a oval out or slashing and
      pulling the flaps back. Take metal tent peg or something similar and stab
      holes through the dirt through the bottom side for drainage (how many holes
      is determined by your areas rain, if it looks like soup a day after the
      rains, you need a few more holes). plant your seeds and plants. At end of
      harvest turn the bag over and mix with soil. There is a method for deep root
      plants using two bags, one on top of the other. You need 4 - 8 stakes to
      secure it and there is a chance that during a storm the stack will move.
      If anyone is interested in the double stack I will post more details.

      Lyse