Herbal Classes

  • giudo@mchsi.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2005
      Greetings unto the Herbalists of the Known World!

      Myself and another individual have volunteered to tag team teach a class on
      basic herbs & spices...trying to compare/contrast current herbal knowledge with
      medieval herbal knowledge and usage. Between the two of us, we have some basic
      references and a rough idea of what we think should be covered.

      However, we would like the input of those that have taught classes like this in
      the past. Does anyone have some "must have" resources that we should look
      towards? Any suggestions on material to use? Are there any particular bits of
      informatin that NEED to be in a class of this nature? What are some of the most
      common "newcomer" type of questions that beginning herbalists should keep in mind?

      Any information, feedback, or suggestions would be most greatly appreciated.
      We've got a few months to piece a class together and make sure that we are both
      on the same wavelength as to what is being taught and such, so there is plenty
      of time for us to dig around, research, and organize ourselves.

      --
      Al servizio della Corona, del Regno e della Societ�,
      Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2005
        Talk to someone at a local garden center. They may be willing to loan you some potted herbs so that class participants can see what they look like. They are also a good source for info on growing and propagating said herbs with special notes for you.

        Kat
        Caitriona inghea ui Darragh
      • Chartier
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 16, 2005
          As I won't be going (sigh) I will tell you what has worked for me when I was teaching or being taught in a class.
          *I've always liked receiving handouts. Quick outline of the class and something to write notes on. Bring more than you need and pencils to.
          *Bring your books if you can.
          *Don't forget to include your sources and further reading in above outline.
          *If possible - have plant or plant part(s) with you so class can see/touch/smell it in real life. (Pictures can only do so much.)
          *Samples are great. (Better if they can take them home.)
          *If there is a demonstration involved, have the next stage already done to show them. (Guess I watch too many cooking shows.)  ;-)
          *Check for any energy sources and facilities that you might need. Be prepared to bring your own if site is lacking. (Check to see if you can bring such stuff. Some places may have insurance issues.)
          *Bring garbage bags and cleaning supplies. (Leave the site as clean or cleaner then when you got there. Great for PR.)

          I wish you the best of luck. Have fun.

          Marguerite Chartier

[...]

          Al servizio della Corona, del Regno e della Società,
          Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
          Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
          Deodar & La Grande Tente Pursuivant
          Modar's 14 of 8 (Agent L) /// Long Live the Llama!!!
          "La morte è l'unica vera avventura"

        • Jennifer Hayes
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 16, 2005
            In my teachings, I have found that if you are able to have them make
            something to take home - they'll get more involved and interested.

            I usually make all of my classes hands on. I'll include a series of period
            recipes that they can either duplicate or create their own (they usually
            create their own).

            Harley

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Suhayma@cox.net

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 16, 2005
                I get that question a lot too... I like to tell people it wasn't "bad" but not fresh like we're used to. In reality it would still be better than my mother's cooking. (I just have to sure she isn't within earshot, she can wollup hard ;)

                KAT

                Catriona inghean ui Darragh