Re: New to the list

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 8, 2000
      > I just joined the list (and the SCA), and am looking forward to beginning my
      > own herb garden when (if) spring ever comes. (Still melting out from under
      > 2 feet of a "light dusting" we got 2 weeks ago in the DC area!).
      >
      > Any advice for a brand new newbie? I finally have a place to grow things,
      > and now I want to plant.
      > Mostly culinary, I should think...

      My advice? Start small. My first herb garden (way too many years ago to
      admit) was three parsley plants, 5 marigolds, one clump of chives, a thyme
      and a sage plant. How I fussed over those plants! Nothing was ever better
      watered, weeded, carefully clipped, etc.

      My beginner's herb garden would include: chives, thyme (English; if you
      want you can be extravagant and go in for golden lemon thyme too), sage,
      basil, parsley, mint (in a pot if you don't want it to spread), lemon
      balm (in a pot if you don't want it to spread), and marjoram or oregano.
      If you have space to keep things inside over the winter, a rosemary plant
      would be nice too: the ARP hybrid is supposed to be winter-hardy but I
      have never tried it. If you have the space and patience, some lavender is
      nice but most varieties won't bloom the first year.

      Whatever you plant, you'll have too much of SOMETHING next year-- one year
      it was orange bergamot mint, another year it was anise-- we had anise
      everywhere for two years-- then it was catnip; now it's lemon balm,
      according to my mom.

      Hey, everyone: want to set up a plant swap somewhere/sometime? Or maybe
      just arrange plant swaps over the list?

      disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

      "You do not lead by hitting people over the head -- that's assault,
      not leadership." Dwight D. Eisenhower
    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 8, 2000
        > > Any advice for a brand new newbie? I finally have a place to grow things,
        > > and now I want to plant.

        Oh. And if you want a good book to get started with medieval herbalism:
        get a copy of Rosetta Clarkson's Golden Age of Herbs and Herbalists, aka
        Green Enchantment. It's out of print for some strange reason, but you can
        usually get a copy via ILL or buy it used.

      • Aelfwyn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 8, 2000
          jenne@... writes:

          << Whatever you plant, you'll have too much of SOMETHING next year- >>
          One of the best parts about this feature happened to me recently. Several
          years ago a dear friend gave me a small plant from her tarragon that had over
          grown her garden. This last year she finalized her divorce and bought herself
          a new home. I gave her pots of a half dozen different plants from my yard as
          housewarming gifts including---you guessed it---a small plant from the
          tarragon bush that is taking over a corner of my herb garden. Herbs are
          friendly things! Enjoy your new garden!
          Aelfwyn
        • Argente@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 9, 2000
            In King of Prussia (about 16 inch snow on ground), I am still picking sage in
            my yard. In spring, I will have wormwood plants available. This is NOT
            edible, but it is an attractive herb no longer used as it is a cumulative
            toxin. I will also have some sage plants available.

            In both cases, you will have to come here to get, but I enjoy visitors.

            argente
          • amos brooks
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 9, 2000
              Greetings, if you have not seen it yet, there are some good books on the
              market that cover spots like yours. I like the herb society of America
              "Encyclopedia of herbs and there uses" by Deni Brown published by Dorling
              Kindersley I also find " The Encyclopedia of Medicinal plants" by Andrew
              Chevallier published also by Dorling Kindersley, a big help for planting in
              "trouble spots". Each book cost me about $20.00 whole sale.

              Isabella

              Isabella

              Albert Boyle wrote:

              > From: "Albert Boyle" <ALBOYLE@...>
              >
              > I take it that I m the only one on the list who lives in the desert
              > south-west. I am looking for herbs (especially the edible type) that can
              > handle summer highs of 118 degrees F. Also, direct sun can destroy even
              > plants that require it in other climates. <sigh>
              >
              > There are several plants available to me. But most of them require special
              > care that I don't have the time to give them. I'll keep trying, though.
              >
              > Ulbrecht

              > $10 Savings on Pet Valentine Gifts.
              > Looking for that pet-perfect Valentine�s Day gift?
              > Click here for $10 off purchases of $25 or more.

            • Jenne Heise
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 9, 2000
                > I take it that I m the only one on the list who lives in the desert
                > south-west. I am looking for herbs (especially the edible type) that can
                > handle summer highs of 118 degrees F. Also, direct sun can destroy even
                > plants that require it in other climates. <sigh>

                Hm... I think a lot of us are in the North-east. At one time, though,
                there was a discussion of this subject on the ansteorran herbalist list (I
                think the Ansteorrans might be more informative on this subject anyway,
                being in Texas) if you're not on the Ansteorran herbalist list, which is a
                motherlode of information, you can get on by going to
                http://lists.ansteorra.org/ and subscribing to Herbalist.)

                > There are several plants available to me. But most of them require special
                > care that I don't have the time to give them. I'll keep trying, though.

                The general upshot of that discussion was that basically keep them in
                filtered shade and bringing them inside during the hottest part of the day
                was the best bet.

                disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

                "You do not lead by hitting people over the head -- that's assault,
                not leadership." Dwight D. Eisenhower
              • Albert Boyle

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 9, 2000
                    Thanks!

                    I'll contact them.

                    Ulbrecht
                  • Albert Boyle
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 9, 2000
                      I'll keep an eye out for them at my local bookstore.

                      Thank you.

                      Ulbrecht
                    • Ayllytha'Píobaire
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 9, 2000
                        --- Albert Boyle <ALBOYLE@...> wrote:
                        > From: "Albert Boyle" <ALBOYLE@...>
                        >
                        > I take it that I m the only one on the list who
                        > lives in the desert
                        > south-west. I am looking for herbs (especially the
                        > edible type) that can
                        > handle summer highs of 118 degrees F. Also, direct
                        > sun can destroy even
                        > plants that require it in other climates. <sigh>
                        >
                        > There are several plants available to me. But most
                        > of them require special
                        > care that I don't have the time to give them. I'll
                        > keep trying, though.

                        You are not the only one, but i live on the extreme
                        southwest-coast. i grow everything in pots -- have one
                        8-inch pot that's had spearmint in it for 7 years now.
                        We just mow it down when it gets leggy, it comes back
                        up....

                        Good luck!

                        8)

                        =====
                        8) Ayllyth a'P�obaire 8)
                        Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid
                        For your next feast, visit
                        http://www.thewildoats.com !
                        http://im.yahoo.com
                      • Argente@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 10, 2000
                          My sage, without significant watering, survived PA's drought. It is growing
                          either next to a south facing white wall or a east facing fence with no shade
                          until the fence itself shades it.

                          The same note for wormwood, horseradish, thyme and parsley.

                          Hope this of help. Argente
                        • Jenne Heise
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 11, 2000
                            You know, I was looking at this message from last week and thinking:
                            booklist?
                            What do you all think, would you like us to maintain a list on the website
                            of books that have been recommended?

                            > From: amos brooks <atbrooks@...>
                            >
                            > Greetings, if you have not seen it yet, there are some good books on the
                            > market that cover spots like yours. I like the herb society of America
                            > "Encyclopedia of herbs and there uses" by Deni Brown published by Dorling
                            > Kindersley I also find " The Encyclopedia of Medicinal plants" by Andrew
                            > Chevallier published also by Dorling Kindersley, a big help for planting in
                            > "trouble spots". Each book cost me about $20.00 whole sale.

                            disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

                            "You do not lead by hitting people over the head -- that's assault,
                            not leadership." Dwight D. Eisenhower
                          • Alatheia Fenwick
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 11, 2000

                              I think keeping an online booklist, (maybe even with commentary?) would be
                              great (not to mention the mailbox space I'd save if I didn't keep all of the
                              book recommendation messages!)

                              Alatheia Fenwick

                              >You know, I was looking at this message from last week and thinking:
                              >booklist?
                              >What do you all think, would you like us to maintain a list on the website
                              >of books that have been recommended?
                              >
                              >Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

                            • Linda Krecker-Schkred
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 11, 2000
                                Ulbrecht,

                                Two years ago I moved from living in Arizona for thirty years to New
                                Jersey. Although I was just starting out, I had a good sized herb
                                garden there. I learned to keep most of the herbs in shade. Not
                                partial shade but complete shade.

                                In the Phoenix house I was lucky enough to have two mature trees
                                (they looked like the ones in the park) about 4' apart. I placed my
                                garden under these. I then built the garden upwards using 4x4's and
                                store bought top soil. I didn't even try to use the native dirt, it's
                                to acidic and sandy. I planted common kitchen herbs that I bought at
                                a local garden store. I was not successful at all at starting from
                                seed. I don't use the little pots (for inside starting) well and the
                                earth dries out way to fast for outside seeding. Then I watered every
                                day in the summer and almost every day during the rest of the year.
                                Most plants did very well. A few were too delicate for the area.
                                Basil, chives, thyme, oregano, all did well under the shade. Sage and
                                rosemary did great but only in the corners of the garden that got a
                                little bit of sun. Both would do fine under no or little shade.
                                Rosemary is used as an evergreen shrub in commercial landscaping (try
                                going near the American West buildings off Mill Avenue in Tempe).

                                The first house house I owned in the Phoenix valley was brand new
                                and had no trees. It was in Chandler and was a former cotton farm.
                                Cotton leaches the ground more than any other plant so I was not
                                willing to work with that dirt. That's where I started the raised
                                garden concept. But because there was no shade, I bought shade fabric
                                from the garden store and rigged up a canopy (kinda like a dining
                                canopy). The garden did surprising well under that. I planted some
                                flowers as well as herbs and everything grew and bloomed.

                                However, here in New Jersey, I can throw seeds in the ground, ignore
                                them (mostly) and things grow! It's quite amazing. My mother-in-law
                                has loads of plants here that bloom from before the first frost to
                                after the last frost. She can grow things!

                                Rhianwen

                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 11, 2000
                                  In a message dated 2/11/00 10:04:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                                  rhianwen@... writes:

                                  << However, here in New Jersey, I can throw seeds in the ground, ignore
                                  them (mostly) and things grow! It's quite amazing. My mother-in-law
                                  has loads of plants here that bloom from before the first frost to
                                  after the last frost. She can grow things!

                                  Rhianwen >>
                                  I spent 17 years in New Jersey, and yes, there is good reason it is called
                                  the "Garden State". So many herbs will winter over in NJ. Up here in Maine,
                                  I've had to learn lots of new tricks to get things to mature in a much
                                  shorter growing season. Like always planting on the southfacing walls and
                                  even building a low rock wall to help make an "enclosed garden" of sorts.
                                  Gotta love all our various regional challenges!
                                  Aelfwyn
                                • Albert Boyle
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 11, 2000
                                    Thanks.

                                    I live in an apartment that has a small plot associated with it, and I am
                                    trying something similar to what you have described with you raised garden
                                    along the patio wall. I will try the shade-screen idea.

                                    I'd use a bubbler system or a soaker hose, but my hose connects directly to
                                    the kitchen sink and I need to have access.

                                    Ulbrecht
                                  • Newbrg@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 11, 2000

                                      <<
                                      You know, I was looking at this message from last week and thinking:
                                      booklist?
                                      What do you all think, would you like us to maintain a list on the website
                                      of books that have been recommended?

                                      Actually, a list that included NOT recommended books would be a good idea,
                                      too. Maybe I should go make a list of mine . . .

                                      Johanna le M
                                    • Linda Krecker-Schkred
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 12, 2000
                                        Also be mindful of the color of your walls. The typical desert white
                                        or off white wall can reflect to a great degree and dry out your
                                        plants. Cover the walls with the shade fabric or a viney type thing
                                        as well.

                                        Rhianwen

                                        >From: "Albert Boyle" <ALBOYLE@...>
                                        >
                                        >Thanks.
                                        >
                                        >I live in an apartment that has a small plot associated with it, and I am
                                        >trying something similar to what you have described with you raised garden
                                        >along the patio wall. I will try the shade-screen idea.
                                        >
                                        >I'd use a bubbler system or a soaker hose, but my hose connects directly to
                                        >the kitchen sink and I need to have access.
                                        >
                                        >Ulbrecht

                                        >Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. Rates as low as 2.9 percent
                                        >Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards
                                        >Points, no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the
                                        >credit you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at

                                      • Lori/ Eriana
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 13, 2000
                                          I, too, would like to have a small herb garden, but live in a small apt. in
                                          a downtown area with no grass anywhere. I've tried to grow inside, but
                                          either the cats get to it or it dies from too much or too little light,
                                          maybe? Any suggestions? I live in south central PA.

                                          Also, there are a few people in my shire who would be interested in this but
                                          do not have internet access. Any ideas of a newsletter or something for
                                          those types interested?

                                          Eriana

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 13, 2000
                                            > I, too, would like to have a small herb garden, but live in a small apt. in
                                            > a downtown area with no grass anywhere. I've tried to grow inside, but
                                            > either the cats get to it or it dies from too much or too little light,
                                            > maybe? Any suggestions? I live in south central PA.

                                            Hm. I've found that for indoor plants, you want annuals or tender
                                            perennials. This means you have to replace the annuals regularly, but it
                                            does work. Chives, bush leaf basil, marjoram and parsley, as well as
                                            rosemary and myrtle have done well for me but you have to monitor the
                                            water situation closely. They like to be heavily watered but allowed to
                                            dry out between waterings; too wet or too long dry and they die.

                                            I've had absolutely no luck with growing Sage indoors over the winter-- it
                                            needs that downtime-- but as an annual that dies in winter I've had luck
                                            with it in an east-facing window. The best luck I had was in an unheated
                                            but insulated back porch room with large windows facing west; all my herbs
                                            thrived there. (I'm in East-central PA-- Allentown-- but that year I lived
                                            in Emmaus, near the Rodale headquarters, and found that EVERYTHING
                                            thrived... *grin*)

                                            A non-period class of herbs that I've found do very well indoors are the
                                            scented geraniums. Beware, however: scented geraniums are addictive. You
                                            buy one: lemon or rose, for instance. Then you go into the garden store
                                            and see nutmeg scented, or apple... or see citronella geraniums marked
                                            down and slowly perishing in the grocery's plant section... or pick up a
                                            catalog, and suddenly you have eight or nine geraniums all growing bushy
                                            and leggy all over the house.

                                            > Also, there are a few people in my shire who would be interested in this but
                                            > do not have internet access. Any ideas of a newsletter or something for
                                            > those types interested?

                                            Yes. We have a volunteer newsletter editor, and now all we have to do is
                                            starting thinking about content and how often and getting contributions
                                            and all...

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 14, 2000
                                              re: I, too, would like to have a small herb garden, but live in a small apt.
                                              in
                                              a downtown area with no grass anywhere. I've tried to grow inside, but
                                              either the cats get to it or it dies from too much or too little light,
                                              maybe? Any suggestions? I live in south central PA.

                                              Live in southeastern PA. I use leaky fish tanks with lights. If the leak is
                                              above the bottom few inches, they work. I have saved some of my tanks and
                                              used them. Clear plastic over top if near/in a window. Fish tank lights and
                                              tanks may be cheaper than fancy nursery supplies, and possibly easier to find.

                                              I trained my dogs and cats not to eat plants by putting spiny cactus where
                                              they were previously eating plants. The long spines do not come off easily
                                              and stick in the animal, but just prick their noses or mouths.

                                              We winter our hot peppers in the house and no animal eats them. Hot peppers
                                              are perennials and some of mine are 2 or 3 years old. argente
                                            • Mara Jensen
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jan 24, 2001
                                                Lords and Ladies;
                                                Good day. I have recently subscribed to the list. I have been
                                                trying to gather information about Herbology for about a year now. I
                                                am trying to get some information about making medicinal items that a
                                                person in Italy around 1400-1500 might have used. Any help would be
                                                much appreciated. Also what are some good books to get the
                                                information about the plant life in and around Tuscany would be great.
                                                Thank you so much,

                                                Maura da Vicopisano
                                              • Jenne Heise
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 14, 2001
                                                  > Lords and Ladies;
                                                  > Good day. I have recently subscribed to the list. I have been
                                                  > trying to gather information about Herbology for about a year now. I
                                                  > am trying to get some information about making medicinal items that a
                                                  > person in Italy around 1400-1500 might have used. Any help would be
                                                  > much appreciated. Also what are some good books to get the
                                                  > information about the plant life in and around Tuscany would be great.
                                                  > Thank you so much,
                                                  > Maura da Vicopisano

                                                  Dear Maura,
                                                  Did you get some answers to your questions?
                                                  -- Jadwiga

                                                  "Are you finished? If you're finished, you have to put down the spoon."
                                                • Maura da Vicopisano
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 14, 2001
                                                    Dear Jadwiga,
                                                    I did get a couple of book titles too look at. Although if you have further
                                                    imput it would be very appreciated.
                                                    Thanks,
                                                    Maura