Re: Pruning / Cuttings Question

  • windsingersmoon
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2004
      PERSONALLY
      I take the grape cuttings right around this time of year, after the
      leaves are off.
      Since it's often hard to tell one end of a grape vine from another,
      it's pretty much done this way.....(or at least this is how I was
      taught)
      Have a pot of moist potting soil handdy with drainage holes in it.

      Snip you to-be-cuttings-vine at the main vine, and immediately snip
      a good ANGLE on that end, below a bud.

      Go up the length of the vine, about 10-12 inches, and snip STRAIGHT,
      just above the nearest bud at the rough length you want the cutting.

      Push the Pointed end down into the soil near the outter edge of the
      pot.

      the back end of it, go up it to the next bud, snipping a POINT/Angle
      just below that, and a Straight snip above the upper bud, and repeat
      til the end, thrusting each pointed end into the pot.
      I then set the pot into a shallow tray, at the side of a garden
      walkway, and forget about them......for a season or 2 or 3.
      Eventually I'll get around to

      I seriously hate to waste Any cuttings, so come pruning time, ALL
      the vines either get made into cuttings, and take their chances, or
      get set aside (all ends square, in approx lengths of 6 inches) to
      dry for later turning into artists charcoal, grape vines said to
      make the 'best' form of this....

      (I just recently lost my own grandmother, but she'd been a much
      better seamstress teacher than a gardening one) The gardening I
      learned from my 2nd husband, a re-located-to-the-South, Illinois
      Farmboy who tried to turn a long city lot into a 'farm' complete
      with chickens and beans.

      I was a USAF brat, who'd moved around far too much to literally put
      down ANY kind of 'roots' anywhere, but I loved the idea of it.
      When he died, when I was 26, I moved my kids, lock-stock-and-plants,
      130 miles into 'the country' where I've lived ever since, refusing
      to budge. That was half a life-time ago. Before I left the city, I
      literally dug up a pear tree that he and I had planted there on our
      city lot. It still survives, wonderful and richly producing, every
      year (I don't know what kind of pears, large and hard as rocks, but
      full of juice....cooking pears, I guess)

      Anyway.....
      Roses
      Roses seem to 'like' me.
      I've heard they're tempermental, but the climbing ones still seem to
      thrive on my too busy neglect and shady woods location.

      I tend to prune them in the Spring, just as I'm getting stir-crazy
      from being inside all winter.

      I make my cuttings the same way as I do my grape cuttings, except
      shorter (about 8-10") and when I have leaves, so I'm sure to cut
      only above 5-leaf groups.
      I just stick the pointed ends into the pot, and forget about them
      One thing I DO do differently though
      The thorns
      they slant downward.
      not good to get them in the pot.
      so all the lowest thorns, I press a thumb or finger to the side of,
      until they snap off....no pricked anythings.

      A good tip for planting roses, to avoid those thorns (the Damascan
      roses have THE wickedest thorns I've Ever encountered!!!) Is to roll
      a length of newspaper, and fold it over/around the plant with one
      hand, to keep the bushier ones and well, any of them, firmly held
      while you're dealing with the other end, getting it into the ground.
      Shara
      (ps, press-removing thorns on Damascan roses is almost
      impossible...in order to do safely, you must have a bit of thorn-
      free stem to receive you digit......Damascan stems are COVERED with
      thorns, of all sizes......hmmmmmmmmm.......natural defense
      mechanisms........sounds like a weed........) <G>

      --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Corwyn and Carowyn