Re: Pruning / Cuttings Question

  • Beth Ann Bretter
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 20, 2004
      > And
      > when is
      > > the proper time to take grape vine cuttings to
      > propagate? (You
      > have my
      > > permission to forward these to the vintners if you
      > know them.)

      The problem with taking grape vine cuttings to
      propagate them is if you're working with vitis
      vinifera (wine grapes) you need to graft them to
      rootstock that is immune to phylloxera. Any native
      American grape rootstock will do.

      The best time plant cuttings is Jan to early March.

      Peyton
      Vinting Laurel - Herbalism Novice

      The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Ro Bourdeau
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 20, 2004
        I've worked with wine grapes in NY (just to give a reference location) without grafting them onto native rootstock. They grew (although much slower than the Concord grapes planted at the same time) and produced grapes. Of course the fact that the only grapes in about a 10 mile radius were mine might have something to do with the lack of a phylloxera problem (g). Also, I've found that Concord grapes are almost impossible to kill. I used cuttings that had been let lie around for about two weeks before I could get them in the ground. My grandfather had a friend who was pruning his grapes and asked for the cuttings. He held on to them until he saw me again (hence the two week lag). I basically put them in the ground with a composted manure/peat moss mixture and they took just fine. The only problem was that they were a magnet for japanese beetles.

        -A'isha (mka Ro)
        (now working on Chardonnay grapes in CT - I need the challenge)

        Beth Ann Bretter <ladypeyton@...> wrote:
        The problem with taking grape vine cuttings to propagate them is if you're working with vitis vinifera (wine grapes) you need to graft them to rootstock that is immune to phylloxera. Any native American grape rootstock will do.

        The best time plant cuttings is Jan to early March.

        Peyton
        Vinting Laurel - Herbalism Novice

      • windsingersmoon
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 9, 2004
          PERSONALLY
          I take the grape cuttings right around this time of year, after the
          leaves are off.
          Since it's often hard to tell one end of a grape vine from another,
          it's pretty much done this way.....(or at least this is how I was
          taught)
          Have a pot of moist potting soil handdy with drainage holes in it.

          Snip you to-be-cuttings-vine at the main vine, and immediately snip
          a good ANGLE on that end, below a bud.

          Go up the length of the vine, about 10-12 inches, and snip STRAIGHT,
          just above the nearest bud at the rough length you want the cutting.

          Push the Pointed end down into the soil near the outter edge of the
          pot.

          the back end of it, go up it to the next bud, snipping a POINT/Angle
          just below that, and a Straight snip above the upper bud, and repeat
          til the end, thrusting each pointed end into the pot.
          I then set the pot into a shallow tray, at the side of a garden
          walkway, and forget about them......for a season or 2 or 3.
          Eventually I'll get around to

          I seriously hate to waste Any cuttings, so come pruning time, ALL
          the vines either get made into cuttings, and take their chances, or
          get set aside (all ends square, in approx lengths of 6 inches) to
          dry for later turning into artists charcoal, grape vines said to
          make the 'best' form of this....

          (I just recently lost my own grandmother, but she'd been a much
          better seamstress teacher than a gardening one) The gardening I
          learned from my 2nd husband, a re-located-to-the-South, Illinois
          Farmboy who tried to turn a long city lot into a 'farm' complete
          with chickens and beans.

          I was a USAF brat, who'd moved around far too much to literally put
          down ANY kind of 'roots' anywhere, but I loved the idea of it.
          When he died, when I was 26, I moved my kids, lock-stock-and-plants,
          130 miles into 'the country' where I've lived ever since, refusing
          to budge. That was half a life-time ago. Before I left the city, I
          literally dug up a pear tree that he and I had planted there on our
          city lot. It still survives, wonderful and richly producing, every
          year (I don't know what kind of pears, large and hard as rocks, but
          full of juice....cooking pears, I guess)

          Anyway.....
          Roses
          Roses seem to 'like' me.
          I've heard they're tempermental, but the climbing ones still seem to
          thrive on my too busy neglect and shady woods location.

          I tend to prune them in the Spring, just as I'm getting stir-crazy
          from being inside all winter.

          I make my cuttings the same way as I do my grape cuttings, except
          shorter (about 8-10") and when I have leaves, so I'm sure to cut
          only above 5-leaf groups.
          I just stick the pointed ends into the pot, and forget about them
          One thing I DO do differently though
          The thorns
          they slant downward.
          not good to get them in the pot.
          so all the lowest thorns, I press a thumb or finger to the side of,
          until they snap off....no pricked anythings.

          A good tip for planting roses, to avoid those thorns (the Damascan
          roses have THE wickedest thorns I've Ever encountered!!!) Is to roll
          a length of newspaper, and fold it over/around the plant with one
          hand, to keep the bushier ones and well, any of them, firmly held
          while you're dealing with the other end, getting it into the ground.
          Shara
          (ps, press-removing thorns on Damascan roses is almost
          impossible...in order to do safely, you must have a bit of thorn-
          free stem to receive you digit......Damascan stems are COVERED with
          thorns, of all sizes......hmmmmmmmmm.......natural defense
          mechanisms........sounds like a weed........) <G>

          --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Corwyn and Carowyn