Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Digest Number 120

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2000
      > Message: 1
      > Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 08:01:41 -0400
      > From: "Deming" <deming@...>
      > Subject: Stimulant
      >
      > Welcome to the group, David. Hope we're able to help you on your way to
      greater knowledge of Western European herbs.
      > One thing that might help you on your quest is defining what are you
      trying to stimulate.

      > Is it a general stimulant? (Caffeine is rather rare in the world. Best
      sources are imported from foreign lands. Coffee from the Arabian countries,
      tea from the mysterious far east, coca from what must surly be the edge of
      the world in the west.)

      > Are you trying to stimulate one of the four humors that the Greeks
      studied? (Interesting study there. Read about Hippocrates, Dioscorides, and
      Galenus.) Don't forget the Arabian influences on medicine. As for ideas from
      India and China, I know little but hope to study someday. (I too am
      learning.)

      I am unsure of how wide spread the usage was but peppermint besides aiding
      in digestion is also a stimulant ... more exactly the oils of peppermint.

      Hope this aids in your endeavours
      Xristophorous