Rose hips revisited

  • Joanne Clyde
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2004
      Well, it's been over 3 weeks since I attempted to make Rose-hip jelly.
      When I first made it, it didn't set, and I ended up with canned rose-hip
      syrup. Now, three weeks later, it is starting to actually set. So we have
      time-delayed jelly.

      And, I can finally share the recipe, since it matches my two criteria for
      sharing recipes.... 1) It works! 2) It's good!

      Rose Hip Jelly.

      (Recipe from _Edible Wild Plants; A North American Field Guide_ by Thomas
      Elias and Peter Dykeman)

      6 cups rose hips
      2 cups water

      Simmer rose hips in water for approx 20 minutes (Note: I ended up having to
      simmer mine for about an hour since I was using wild rosehips and they were
      hard TINY little buggers that didn't want to smash!) Strain the hips out of
      the water using a wet jelly bag. Hopefully, you will have...

      4 cups Rose-hip juice. (Note: You can get more juice by squeezing the bag,
      but the clarity of the jelly will be cloudier)

      Bring 4 cups Rose-hip juice and 1 box of commercial pectin (I used Sure-Jel)
      to a rolling boil.

      Add 7 cups Sugar.

      Stir in, bring to rolling boil. As soon as you get a rolling boil, hit a
      timer for 1 minute. After one minute, remove from heat and jar immediately.
      (I use inverse canning method, other methods should work also!)

      Yeild: 7 cups jelly.

      If anyone wants to sample some, I'm in the shire of Baile na Scolairi in the
      Middle Kingdom. (Normal, IL) Come by for a visit, or if you're going to be
      at an event nearby (right now, my event range is 150 miles), let me know and
      I might be able to bring some there!

      Enjoy!
      Geertruyt

      p.s. if anyone still has rose-hips that they'd like to share, I'm starting
      to collect for a second batch! :)